Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by G3istly View Post
    No. Get over it.
    Yes. Get over it.

Works both ways.

Others in this thread beside myself, have come up with valid ways a tank mage could work, it's quite clearly possible, thematically AND mechanically, everyone except you can see it. I mean come on, there's literally a tank spec that involves getting drunk to ignore pain and stagger around to dodge attacks, if Blizzard can make something like that work, of course there's room for a mage on the frontlines.

Unless you're being thickheaded and stubborn just for the sake of being thickheaded and stubborn.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MagusHenosis View Post
    Again lol, you can already be a "tank" on Mage in PvP, by playing Frost a certain way.

I am seemingly the only one really who has the footwork required to play it that way though.

You basically need to be able to spin circles around people so well, that you aren't afraid to go toe to toe with a warrior, etc. for a while.

The truth is that most of you in this community just aren't any good compared to me, and it's just as simple as that.

Perhaps beg Blizzard to dumb the game down, so I can't stand out as much???

Oh wait though lol, idiocracy is ending, and the game is becoming more hardcore.

I guess that means I am going to become even better soon compared to most of you.....
    Yes, yes, we're all very impressed by your unique playstyle, that you've boasted of wayyy too much, and we're all so enthralled by your abilities to pull it of.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2017-07-13 at 10:20 PM.

I guess they could do something like Harbringer in rift, though that would be incredibly boring. I liked the concept of a Time and Blood magic fused together and maybe be a self-sustain-dps-spec.

A "new" school of magic wouldn't be necessary as the only thing they could reasonably add is a Battlemage specialization that utilizes all three schools to augment their melee attacks.
    That is an idea for sure.

I just don't see the need for an actual battlemage spec though, but hey, it sure would suit my style, since I am already doing that shit anyways pretty much....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    Yes, yes, we're all very impressed by your unique playstyle, that you've boasted of wayyy too much, and we're all so enthralled by your abilities to pull it of.
    Good!!!

You should be lol!!!

-----------Updated------------

To "tank" in PvP is different than to tank in the PvE context guys. I just want to make sure everyone is clear on that, and I wasnt really talking about having a "Mage tank" in the PvE context.

I honestly don't know what I think about a Mage tank for PvE at this point in time.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Well if they did a Battlemage spec I would personally would say Arcane because the game doesn't have a melee class that does a significant amount or Arcane damage.
    I don't know about a "melee mage" lol, but perhaps Galdalf could be called that, since the dude clearly favored using a sword.....
    Last edited by MagusHenosis; 2017-07-14 at 01:51 AM.
    "Haters gonna hate, whatcha gonna do?

They're haters after all, it's what they do!" - The Legend, aka "The Best," aka "The Champ," aka "Speedymage," aka "MagusHenosis," aka "The Grim Reaper of Top Players"

10+ Year Old Account

I just don't see the need for an actual battlemage spec though, but hey, it sure would suit my style, since I am already doing that shit anyways pretty much....

- - - Updated - - -

Good!!!

You should be lol!!!

-----------Updated------------

To "tank" in PvP is different than to tank in the PvE context guys. I just want to make sure everyone is clear on that, and I wasnt really talking about having a "Mage tank" in the PvE context.

I honestly don't know what I think about a Mage tank for PvE at this point in time.....

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about a "melee mage" lol, but perhaps Galdalf could be called that, since the dude favored a sword.....
    Well there are already npcs who're melee mages...the Suramar guard is filled with them for example...plus would Mage doesn't really need yet another ranged dps spec?

Yes. Get over it.

Works both ways.

Others in this thread beside myself, have come up with valid ways a tank mage could work, it's quite clearly possible, thematically AND mechanically, everyone except you can see it. I mean come on, there's literally a tank spec that involves getting drunk to ignore pain and stagger around to dodge attacks, if Blizzard can make something like that work, of course there's room for a mage on the frontlines.

Unless you're being thickheaded and stubborn just for the sake of being thickheaded and stubborn.
    Out of curiosity, do you play a mage? And if so, how long have you been playing one?

- - - Updated - - -

There's no "need" per se but if they were to ever add fourth specializations for some/all classes, there isn't anything more appropriate than a melee DPS "Battlemage" for Mages. Of course I'd happily sacrifice Arcane to change it like they did with Survival for Hunters considering how boring Arcane has always been.

We re missing a cloth....tank !

Battlemage or a Spellblade tank could absolutely work and I'd honestly be fine with it replacing a current spec (sorry Arcane boys.) or just being a fourth one.
    There are plenty of examples from various works of fiction to draw from, not to mention the multiple in-game examples that have been mentioned. This is unlike the whole chronomatic healer thing which IIRC doesn't exist outside of the bronze dragonflight and IMHO would be better implemented in some alternate future as a draknoid racial.

In regards to "I am the only one good enough to play this way in PvP" trolling, sit down.

Deleted
    Out of curiosity, do you play a mage? And if so, how long have you been playing one?
    It doesn't matter what I play and for how long I've done so.

Unless of course you mean to say that I can't comment on the class or suggest changes because I'm not a veteran mage player, which is like saying someone can't comment on the economy because they're poor, once again ridiculous.

If you must know I've played a mage on and off since WoD.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2017-07-14 at 08:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taelon View Post

I think Blizzard has mentioned this once long ago.
    I basically concur with the rest, but about this point: do you remember anything more specific? Because the vague memories that I have say something like "we will never do that, rather a new class", and I think it was said somewhen in mid-pandaria.
    (unless this was exactly your point)
    Last edited by mmoc0ae79f66d8; 2017-07-14 at 09:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxidizer View Post
    We re missing a cloth....tank !
    If they ever did fourth specs as a thing, Warlocks would get the tanking spec. I don't think there is a chance we would get a tanking spec before them.

If they ever did fourth specs, Mages would either get a melee dps or a healing spec. This particular thread is focused on the possibility of it being a melee spec and how that would work.

Deleted
    I think if this was to become a reality there are so many things that could be done with it.
    You'd have a DPS, tank and possibly a healing spec.

All the ideas discussed would end up with either way too many abilities for a spec/class or pruning things away making it feel a bit gimped.

It would be a new class if anything. Would be easy to spin the lore as a series of mages who solely practiced the arcane and explored different ways of mastering it for the three roles.
    Could even throw in the odd spells from different schools for some flavour.

So whilst they'd still basically be mages in lore game wise they'd be a different faction of mages/class

It doesn't matter what I play and for how long I've done so.

Unless of course you mean to say that I can't comment on the class or suggest changes because I'm not a veteran mage player, which is like saying someone can't comment on the economy because they're poor, once again ridiculous.

If you must know I've played a mage on and off since WoD.
    So you played a Mage briefly during Warlords of Draenor and think that entitles you to vomit out whatever moronic suggestions you can come up with? Fuck off.

INFRACTION: Flaming
    Last edited by The Archmage; 2017-07-14 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    On the highly unlikely chance that they gave all the classes an extra spec, they certainly wouldn't add a 4th dps spec to the pure classes.
    They certainly wouldn't? Please tell

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of a transmog I did in WoD with that theme in mind.

Would be great to have actual battlemage.

With it's latest expansion, Final Fantasy XIV released a new class, "Red Mage", to rave reviews. A rapier wielding, highly mobile caster class who builds resources by casting spells (with their own interesting but irrelevant mechanics), and spends them by charging into melee with a flurry of combo-based sword strikes.

It feels awesome. Very different from the Wow-Mage-equivalent Black Mage.

Not that I want WoW to copy the idea carte blanche, but it's an archetype that Blizz has ignored forever, and Red Mage proves that it can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Well there are already npcs who're melee mages...the Suramar guard is filled with them for example...plus would Mage doesn't really need yet another ranged dps spec?
    Well, I guess you got me there, didn't you???

Sure lol, if there was gonna be a 4th mage spec, then battlemage sounds like as good as any for it I guess.

It just seems strange to me, a melee mage.....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

There's no "need" per se but if they were to ever add fourth specializations for some/all classes, there isn't anything more appropriate than a melee DPS "Battlemage" for Mages. Of course I'd happily sacrifice Arcane to change it like they did with Survival for Hunters considering how boring Arcane has always been.
    I guess the question is, are they going to add 4th specs to certain/all classes???
    Last edited by MagusHenosis; 2017-07-14 at 03:49 PM.

They're haters after all, it's what they do!" - The Legend, aka "The Best," aka "The Champ," aka "Speedymage," aka "MagusHenosis," aka "The Grim Reaper of Top Players"

I guess the question is, are they going to add 4th specs to classes other than druid???
    I sincerely doubt it. Blizzard aren't the type to put in that much effort and they would have to give everyone (except Druids) a new specialization and of course Druids would cry that they're not getting a fifth so it's not worth it even if they weren't lazy/incompetent.

10+ Year Old Account

Sure lol, if there was gonna be a 4th mage spec, then battlemage sounds like as good as any for it I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess the question is, are they going to add 4th specs to certain/all classes???
    I just like the idea...mostly because I enjoy melee and partially because I used to enjoy playing the Harbinger spec in Rift. (Which if you don't know was a melee Mage basically)

Deleted

Why does that seem so strange? I thought you were basically already playing one?

Why does that seem so strange? I thought you were basically already playing one?
    It seems strange, since historically the Mage class has been played as a ranged class in PvP, that tries to avoid being in close proximity to melee.

When I started getting in the face of melee, and staying there by spinning circles around them, I invented a new way of playing Mage in PvP.

Now, while it is true that I play Frost in such a way that you could call it "battlemage," I am not actually doing melee attacks on them, or at least not ones that do decent damage, since I do in fact melee people at times while showing off.

So it's strange to me, since I am not used to seeing PLAYER Mages doing melee attacks as part of how the class works.

Does this answer your question there???

If you have any other questions, I can probably answer those for you as well, since I am so damn intelligent now!!!

You may feel self conscious asking for help understanding things though, and it would require you to accept that I both a better player than you are, and a more intelligent human being as well!!!

That's what you get for acting the way you were OK!!!
    Last edited by MagusHenosis; 2017-07-14 at 08:45 PM.