Deleted

Laptop cooler going berserk since latest 8.1 windows update

As title says, last night I updated my windows 8.1. with the latest update, and today my cooler has been going berserk with laptop not even overheating. I can browse the internet just fine, apart from loud cooler noise, but if I attempt to play a game, the laptop shuts off in 10-15 minutes. I've cleared it off dust twice today, and also have ran Ccleaner.

Anyone with the latest update experiencing something similar?

Just trying to understand where it's coming from. Blame falls on windows update, because I just remembered that that's what i did before going to sleep last night, and quick google said that update could be source, however, not a big computer spec, so any insight on why this could be happening would be appretiated.

Does it shut down because it's overheating, too much power drawing, or what?

What's the laptop's model?

Tried opening up a recovery point at a date where you didn't have the problem yet?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    Does it shut down because it's overheating, too much power drawing, or what?

What's the laptop's model?

Tried opening up a recovery point at a date where you didn't have the problem yet?
    Power usage seems to be an issue. Having just a game like HotS or Civ 5 open eats close to 80% cpu and 100% memory. Just skimming through task manager, seems like one of windows processes eats 15% cpu alone, is that normal?

Laptop is Novatech Nspire N1591.

No, just started dealing with the issue recently, just thought I'd ask around before starting to eliminate every possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupsiz View Post
    Power usage seems to be an issue. Having just a game like HotS or Civ 5 open eats close to 80% cpu and 100% memory. Just skimming through task manager, seems like one of windows processes eats 15% cpu alone, is that normal?

Laptop is Novatech Nspire N1591.

No, just started dealing with the issue recently, just thought I'd ask around before starting to eliminate every possibility.

High CPU usage while playing games like Civ 5 is normal. The high memory usage sounds weird to me, especially if it's constant, but I'm not sure if that could be the reason for your main problem.

What's the windows process called? A windows process eating 15% of the CPU can be normal, however that's not always the case, depending on which process it is. It can simply be because of an updating process, but it could also be a faulty driver.

I'd use a recovery point first just to rule out whether it's definitely the windows update that caused it or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    High CPU usage while playing games like Civ 5 is normal. The high memory usage sounds weird to me, especially if it's constant, but I'm not sure if that could be the reason for your main problem.

What's the windows process called? A windows process eating 15% of the CPU can be normal, however that's not always the case, depending on which process it is. It can simply be because of an updating process, but it could also be a faulty driver.

I'd use a recovery point first just to rule out whether it's definitely the windows update that caused it or not.
    Windows process is Service Host: Local System (Network restricted).

Just did recovery, issue remains, update was not at fault, it's still spinning like there's no tomorrow and laptop's not even warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupsiz View Post
    Windows process is Service Host: Local System (Network restricted).

Just did recovery, issue remains, update was not at fault, it's still spinning like there's no tomorrow and laptop's not even warm.
    Apparently that Windows process controls the windows updates and a bunch of other stuff. There's several ways to disable/decrease it. (Just google for "Service Host: Local System (Network restricted) high CPU usage" for a bunch of solutions.) It could be the reason as for why your fan is going mad.

Are you sure the fan is spinning faster though and not just out of balance? The fan would anyway always spin. For example, my laptop is making a lot of noise since last year because it's out of balance because I probably accidentally hit my laptop against something (or dropped it too hard); it still spins normally though.