Poll: Should Blizzard Create another MMO??

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Pay attention to who you're talking to, dude. I questioned your first-grader math, didn't do the original claim.
    Yup, my bad. Losing track of who's quoting me.

But let's start from the top. I never said he was wrong. I only questioned whether he may have calculated wrong. Secondly, I then only asked where he got that number from (politely, I might add).

So... yeah. WoW pulls nearly a billion dollars. That's awesome. I'm hoping that it'll mean the game will have as good of future expansions as I have enjoyed Legion thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Yup, my bad. Losing track of who's quoting me.

But let's start from the top. I never said he was wrong. I only questioned whether he may have calculated wrong. Secondly, I then only asked where he got that number from (politely, I might add).

So... yeah. WoW pulls nearly a billion dollars. That's awesome. I'm hoping that it'll mean the game will have as good of future expansions as I have enjoyed Legion thus far.
    Well you started out essentially questioning his intelligence by saying something silly, which is all I reacted to. WoW will probably go on in similar fashion to Legion for a couple more (5+) years at least.

I've not been happy with their latest IPs. I guess after butchering Titan which got way too overbloated, they stripped things down and released three rather simple games (hs, hots, ow). While those games can be fun, they are all pretty bare bones and exist mostly as low maintenance cash producers (huge profit margin because development is small).

Suddenly blizzard, a company known for excellence and "it's done when it's done" philosophy, effectively doubled their catalog of active games, which while smart was very surprising. While I think fun, more light weight, style games can accent and complement their larger enterprises, I am a bit concerned that this is just their new philosophy and we will not see the depth of previous blizzard games in new IPs.

For new MMOs, overwatch mmo already kind of failed in development, and the massive time investment needed for mmos makes carrying multiples kind of a stupid idea... they largely share the same market, so producing each simultaneously would cannibalize the same market, hurting profits of each as some people will simply pick one over the other for time reasons even if they are interested in both.

There's no reason wow can't go another 10 years, so it has locked down the genre for blizzard, for better or worse. They can carry and retool the engine if they really need to. The only way I see WoW 2 ever happening is if the previous game dies out, WC4 advances the story and timeline, and then WoW2 builds on that.

Other option is wow dies out and SC mmo replaces it. They would certainly do that before diablo.
    Last edited by elaina; 2017-07-14 at 05:56 PM.

Well you started out essentially questioning his intelligence by saying something silly, which is all I reacted to. WoW will probably go on in similar fashion to Legion for a couple more (5+) years at least.
    It was meant to be a deadpan joke. I know that doesn't really go far through text, but was hoping it would be picked up by someone.

And with any luck, WoW will continue as it has been. People may shit on Ion, but as Game Director his Legion expansion has been a hell of a lot better than Tom Chilton's Warlords of Draenor.

Well going by Overwatch and Hearthstone, which are smaller games (much smaller) content wise, that are probably pulling in a much higher dollar amount proportionally speaking - I'll say no.

If we see another MMO from them, I expect something along the lines of Destiny. Main city hub, a few open/shared zones, and then queue up for more rigidly designed content like BGs or Dungeons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I wouldn't count on them ever doing another MMO. Gaming generally has moved on from the MMO genre. Which is one reason why most of them have failed.

Just to be clear I don't think they'll do an RTS any time soon either. If there's a genre that is more dead than MMORPG at this point it would be RTS.
    These genres are dead not due to impopularity but due to lacking quality in games. There is no such thing as a dead genre in gaming, all it takes is one good game to bring it back. One that dares to break the mold regarding the reasons the games grew impopular to begin with.

MMOs are still very popular, just that alot of the playerbase is in F2P games, that or WoW.

I think blizzard can pull off another MMO success if they dare to try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something has to be done about WoW at some point, a couple expansions more and all the older content will be completely fucked up thanks to scaling issues leading to a negative new player experience

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    Something has to be done about WoW at some point, a couple expansions more and all the older content will be completely fucked up thanks to scaling issues leading to a negative new player experience
    Let's be real here, it's not like the new player experience REQUIRES a new game.

Of course they will, the question is when? and they prob have one or three in principle development phase already, but won't be a full blown "go" for at least 5 years then 3-5 years of actual development post that.

While the wow team has gotten bigger, i'm betting the bigger team is mostly made up of interns and low level people who's job is just to milk the cash cow till its 6 feet under.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrene View Post
    Blizzard only has one new project in the works: an FPS game. Whether it's an MMO, a singleplayer game or yet another casual multiplayer-centric game, is unknown.
    Uhm... Where did you get the FPS part? The only things I've seen in job postings is "Diablo enthusiast" and "Experiance with MMO design", and this was for a lead role.
    Also why would they make another FPS when they just released Overwatch?

My bet is they're either making something diablo related, and considering that D3 is pretty much dead in the water, that wouldnt suprise me. Or they are making something new, but dark fantasy inspired. It def. has at least MMO elements to it and one can only hope they show something at Blizzcon, but its prob to early.

The fact that both Chilton and Holinka has jumped over to it states that Blizz is very confident in this new game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    as much as I love WoW, I have a hard time seeing any more than 2-3 more serious expansions. The only thing they could do then is to shorten the level span, and remake the 1-X content completely. By that point its already a completely new game, so why not just make a new one....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Uhm... Where did you get the FPS part? The only things I've seen in job postings is "Diablo enthusiast" and "Experiance with MMO design", and this was for a lead role.
    Also why would they make another FPS when they just released Overwatch?

My bet is they're either making something diablo related, and considering that D3 is pretty much dead in the water, that wouldnt suprise me. Or they are making something new, but dark fantasy inspired. It def. has at least MMO elements to it and one can only hope they show something at Blizzcon, but its prob to early.

The fact that both Chilton and Holinka has jumped over to it states that Blizz is very confident in this new game.
    "Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an experienced engine engineer to work on a robust first-person engine for an unannounced project."
    https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/oFop4fwg

Deleted
    I believe there is a small chance Blizzard could create a sandbox MMORPG as like Black Desert or a sandbox MMOFPS. That would be a new IP.

Blizzard loves Games whichs market are niche, which are competetive and which allow eSports. A Sandbox game would be fully PVP driven, therefore competetive, it would allow eSport with an arena and the market currently is not mainstream.

Blizzard always was strong in creating a mainstream game in a niche market. WoW literally took the MMORPG genre out of the exclusive hands of engaged players and presented it to a large audience. Same could happen with a sandbox game.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-07-14 at 06:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I believe there is a small chance Blizzard could create a sandbox MMORPG as like Black Desert or a sandbox MMOFPS. That would be a new IP.

Blizzard loves Games whichs market are niche, which are competetive and which allow eSports. A Sandbox game would be fully PVP driven, therefore competetive, it would allow eSport with an arena and the market currently is not mainstream.

Blizzard always was strong in creating a mainstream game in a niche market. WoW literally took the MMORPG genre out of the exclusive hands of engaged players and presented it to a large audience. Same could happen with a sandbox game.
    Problem is that none of their attempts at e-sports were any good.

Deleted
    Actually they are very successfull with e-Sportish games. See Hearthstone and Overwatch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Actually they are very successfull with e-Sportish games. See Hearthstone and Overwatch.
    LMAO. Talk to me again when any Blizzard game is being played at competitions that are not sponsored by Blizzard itself. Only game like that is Starcraft 2 and maybe Hearthstone. Nothing else.

right! Overwatch was such a flop that they are redefining esports itself with the overwatch league

Yeah, especially considering the addition of the tokens and making it possible to essentially purchase Blizzard goods for gold, not even counting the people paying their subs through gold.

Wouldn't surprise me if WoW had a 25th anniversary, at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    right! Overwatch was such a flop that they are redefining esports itself with the overwatch league
    Once again. Show me a competition that is not organized by Blizzard, which has Overwatch as an event. Paying people to play your game is not "redefining esports", it's just corporate fapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Yeah, especially considering the addition of the tokens and making it possible to essentially purchase Blizzard goods for gold, not even counting the people paying their subs through gold.

Wouldn't surprise me if WoW had a 25th anniversary, at all.
    There's a difference between staying alive and carrying on in a fashion similar to Legion though, which is what I was talking about.

There's a difference between staying alive and carrying on in a fashion similar to Legion though, which is what I was talking about.
    That is true, although I wouldn't put it past them. Have no idea how they managed to pull such numbers with this IP during WoD, but they somehow did... x.x