Poll: Best Spot to be a Raidlead

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the View Post
    One of my friends got us both USB pedals like this:

to use as our push to talk "key" and it worked well, if you're able to plug anything into the net cafe computer. (I am not familiar with them.)
    Haha, true raid leading material there.

I raid ead for a heroic guild as a Havoc DH. Havoc's rotations is simple, so there's that. I've never found it challenging to observe the room while managing the rotation.

Kind of depends on what you mean by raidlead. The person doing the callouts, the person creating the strats or the person watching to see who is failing. Call outs it is normally a tank or healer, creating strats anyone, watching to see who fails a ranged DPS or healer is going to be the best for that as they can see the entire landscape.

Don't confuse the person doing call outs with an actual raid leader. With raid notes, the strat doesn't need to be announced over and over, just the basic ability call out. ("bomb 2" instead of "Bomb incomind x, y, z to soak")

10+ Year Old Account
    BM: can do it's job, keep an eye on timers, keep an eye on players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Healer, obviously..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Healer, obviously..
    Healer goes against hte aspect of delegation - it's easy to get distracted by an event that needs fixing and not immediately call as you do your own corrections.

A simple ranged dps is your best bet as they have the overview and the lack of responses that make it easiest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've always done it as a healer until Legion and the changes to disc (I'm not smart enough to be able to watch all my timers for that and all the timers for everyone else x.x). I always had another healer manage raid CD callouts and rotations, however. I think it's important to not stack too much onto one player; you have a better chance of getting all of the information out clearly and timely. All that said, I think most healing specs are the best options - they have a general awareness of what's happening at all times which is pretty important.

To all the people preaching that that tanks make the best raid leaders, you need to get out of the vanilla mindset. High end tanking rotations are now as sensitive as a dps rotation, except if you mess up an active mitigation charge or cooldown you end up needing a battlerez not just losing a few gcds worth of damage on the boss.

I've done raid leading from every role in the raid, melee tank ranged and healer. They all come with some advantages. Tanks can quickly dictate boss movement and taunts. Melee can easily deal with high movement mechanics/calls while not suffering much performance loss. Ranged although usually having a harder rotation have a better view of the encounter then either melee role and healers can quickly call out raid cds and fixes when raid dmg mechanics get out of hand or go wrong.

Its worth noting many of these advantages can fall on the responsibility of people other then the main raid leader. IE a Healer calling what cds need to be blown if the raid takes a nasty spike in dmg that wasn't planned for, but I have found for consistencies sake being at ranged/healing at ranged, gives the best view as to the current state/positioning of the raid. The visibility restrictions of melee/tanks can be extremely annoying if you need to do anything other then spout boss timers. I can't tell you how many times my camera gets completely blocked by Full Moons from our moonkin while trying to use an overhead angle as a tank... it drives me nuts. Its important all members of the raid have atleast a general understanding of other roles mechanical requirements as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyraniah View Post
    Was Kuznam a Tank or Heal? Rogerbrown isn't either. Better check the facts before making such a post.
    Was going to post this as well but you beat me to it

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the View Post
    One of my friends got us both USB pedals like this:

to use as our push to talk "key" and it worked well, if you're able to plug anything into the net cafe computer. (I am not familiar with them.)
    Haha. I using the same pedal on work to fast Excel-Screen if boss walking in room when playing.

In fact my previous raider leader rerolled to hunter because he was unable to raid lead as warlock.

a hunter or healer

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna agree on the Tank or Range spot for raid leading... I have led as melee dps and tank and as Tank it was easier.

And from my personal view it was not because of rotation (which yes became easier for me as melee when i didn't had to lead) but rather My field of view.

As tank i had a beter view then as melee so it was easier for me to lead and to make sure people didn't screw up much. I think the same would be said for range spots as you see everything in the back.

No Tusk Club.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of my raid leaders over the years have been healer or range. Wider view of the fighting area and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeari View Post
    a hunter or healer
    I've had the most luck raid leading as either of those and using the pedal for push to talk. As a healer I tended to swear at idiots more often and call out people, so maybe that was entertaining for part of the raid.

BUT my dps would suffer by 10-20% while raid leading since I'm not a multi-tasking god. Healing I didn't do badly, but I also think wasn't as effective when raid leading.

Most raidleaders are tanks but it's not because it's best or worst.

Tanks need to have very high raid attendance, because if your tanks miss a night and you don't have good replacements, the whole group suffers. So it's a pretty obvious spot for a raid leader, who is there all the time.

Tanks need to be aware of timers much more so than other classes, in order to activate their mitigations, or taunt. So it's a no-brained that they are paying attention to the timers and can call them out without additional effort.

Tank mechanics tend to be fairly similar on almost all bosses. It doesn't matter that much what the boss ability does, you use a cooldown to defend against strong attacks, which is the same response to every encounter ever. Taunting usually only depends on the amount of stacks on the other tank, which is predictable. At most you move out to explode away from the raid or move adds to a specific location. I'm not saying that it's necessarily easier or harder than a healer or dps job, but there's not a lot of variety.

Also, for push-to-talk voice comms, my raidlead says he has push-to-talk enabled to all his rotation buttons :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Go ahead and mention any top guild with a non tank/healer raid leader. Oh that's right, there's none. The only way you can think a dps can make a good raid leader is because you don't raid, in the other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

I guess everybody has their own opinion, even if it's a wrong one.
    RogerBrown raid led for Method (maybe still does I'm out of the loop on that one). Gondlem raid led for Midwinter and he played a DPS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Go ahead and mention any top guild with a non tank/healer raid leader. Oh that's right, there's none. The only way you can think a dps can make a good raid leader is because you don't raid, in the other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

I guess everybody has their own opinion, even if it's a wrong one.
    Method raid leader is a shadow priest and before that it was a mage with which they got several world firsts.

Just to clarify.

Comparing a world first guild with your average plebian guild is silly.

A good raid leader in an average plebian guild will produce better results than a raid leader in a skillful guild, different mentalities, different reflexes, different skill set all together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrcN..._n6e7G&index=5

Here, a video where Method just started becoming all extra famous and making better videos with voices etc.

The raiders talk more than the raid leader about what they are gonna do, than Rogerbrown himself in a world first, and their next videos etc etc are much more relaxed with even more people talking.

Not every environment requires constant talking or "leading" because not every raiding environment requires babysitting.

Obviously its a rough example, world first kills are after many tries therefor they already learnt, therefor less talking is required, but in every Method video you can see how different it is compared to most of the average plebian guilds you have seen.

In a "more skillful" environment, a DPS class can lead no problem since there is not much talking required.

Raid leading is a mixture of understanding

1)How to use your raid properly to produce the desired results cause not everyone does 5 alts and split run,therefor the weaker healer cant log on to his stronger healer and press i win button for the fight.

2)Timer babysitting

3)Calling cooldowns babysitting because even after so many wipes your raiders still cant remember shit all.

4)Positional babysitting if your tank just failed to position properly.

And a few others things i would guess that slip my mind at the moment.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-07-15 at 04:21 AM.

@Allenschezar Have you rerolled BM Hunter yet? Gotta deliver the goods OP. MMOC has spoken, haha.