Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

White House releases sensitive personal information of voters worried about....

White House releases sensitive personal information of voters worried about their sensitive personal information

The White House on Thursday made public a trove of emails it received from voters offering comment on its Election Integrity Commission. The commission drew widespread criticism when it emerged into public view by asking for personal information, including addresses, partial social security numbers and party affiliation, on every voter in the country.

It further outraged voters by planning to post that information publicly.

Voters directed that outrage toward the Trump White House and the voter commission, often using profanity-laced language in the 112 pages of emails released this week.

“You will open up the entire voting population to a massive amount of fraud if this data is in any way released,” one voter wrote.

“Many people will get their identity stolen, which will harm the economy,” wrote another.

“I respectfully request, as an American-born citizen legally eligible to vote for two decades, that you leave my voter data and history alone, do not publish it, and do nothing with it,” said another.

Unfortunately for these voters and others who wrote in, the Trump administration did not redact any of their personal information from the emails before releasing them to the public. In some cases, the emails contain not only names, but email addresses, home addresses, phone numbers and places of employment of people worried about such information being made available to the public.

The Washington Post is not publishing any of this information because in most cases it does not appear that the individuals were aware their comments would be shared by the White House. The emails were sent to the Election Integrity Commissions' email address that the administration asked U.S. secretaries of state to send data files to.

“This request is very concerning,” wrote one. “The federal government is attempting to get the name, address, birth date, political party, and social security number of every voter in the country.” That email, published by the White House, contained the sender's name and home address.

“DO NOT RELEASE ANY OF MY VOTER DATA PERIOD,” wrote one voter whose name and email address was published by the White House.

“Beefed up the security on this email address yet?” asked another voter whose name and email address were also published by the White House.

“The request for private voter information is offensive,” wrote one voter whose name, home address and email address were published by the White House.

“I removed my name from voter rolls. And I'm a Republican!” wrote one voter whose name was published by the White House.

Federal agencies often solicit and release public comments on proposed legislation. Regulations.gov, the federal government's clearing house for public comments, includes a detailed set of guidelines explaining how to submit comments, what type of personal information is collected and how that information may be used.

“Some agencies may require that you include personal information, such as your name and email address, on the comment form,” the website explains. The Securities and Exchange Commission, for instance, warns commenters to “submit only information that you wish to make available publicly.”

Similarly, the Federal Trade Commission tells commenters that “published comments include the commenter’s last name and state/country as well as the entire text of the comment. Please do not include any sensitive or confidential information.”

The White House does not appear to have issued any such public guidelines or warnings before many of the emails were sent.

"These are public comments, similar to individuals appearing before commission to make comments and providing name before making comments," said Marc Lotter, Press Secretary to Mike Pence, in an email. "The Commission’s Federal Register notice asking for public comments and its website make clear that information 'including names and contact information' sent to this email address may be released."

The Federal Register notice soliciting comments was published on July 5. The White House page was published on July 13.

Approximately half of the emails published by the White House were dated prior to July 5.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...f1aee#comments

If you don't mind, i'm going to need some more popcorn for this.

"People are concerned about their information being released so let's release their information so they no longer have to worry about it" - Trump logic.

While...horrific...it's also oddly . . . humorous ;P

Jesus Christ what the fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah. No problem here.

Just casually pissing off your voterbase, no problem at all.

These people are obviously hiding something. This is what Trumpkins kept saying when states/people were afraid on information being leaked.

This proposal and Russia helping us with our elections makes me warm inside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vote Trump or he will dox the whole country?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, what?

Like seriously, what is this new level of stupid bullshit? Is this another Russia distraction tactic? Because I don't know if it's going to work the way they think it will.

lets be honest, when trump said he can shoot someone in front of an audience and not lose a vote, he's right. And even when they are working 60hrs at 5$ hr with no benefits, no insurance, ect. They will still blame the "evil liberals"

Sometimes I wonder if the Trump Administration is an elaborate Democrat false flag operation. Because I know we say it on almost a daily basis now, but "surely nobody could REALLY be this stupid".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    White House releases sensitive personal information of voters worried about their sensitive personal information

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...f1aee#comments

If you don't mind, i'm going to need some more popcorn for this.
    Why is that even legal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Why is that even legal?
    There will be lawsuits.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    There will be lawsuits.
    Hopefully. The White House seems to think they are allowed to do that.

Let's dox our own voter base! What the hell could go wrong?

What the hell is going on in the white house...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Let's dox our own voter base! What the hell could go wrong?

What the hell is going on in the white house...
    Realistically, no one who voted for Trump complained about this request, so he's not concerned. They were too busy complaining to their states for not giving up their personal information like daddy asked them to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, i wonder how they're going to top that next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why on earth would you include so much "sensitive" information in an email in the first place? Especially one sent to the government???? Obviously there is plenty of stupidity in the general population to match the stupidity in D.C......

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Wow, i wonder how they're going to top that next week.
    The sad thing is, we know with almost absolute certainty that they will top it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    The sad thing is, we know with almost absolute certainty that they will top it.
    At this point is there anything Trump can do that will surprise us?

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    At this point is there anything Trump can do that will surprise us?
    No, but that doesn't mean he can do one of the many things we expect him to do which are worse than releasing some information.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.