Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    There's probably so little intelligent life in the universe, aliens couldn't exactly afford to be picky.
    Unlikely. There are 200 billion galaxies and estimates of 10s of billions of plants per galaxy. Just because we haven't found other life in our own solar system doesn't mean it isn't out there. Frankly, we don't even know if there's life in the next solar system over, let alone the ones that are way out on the edges of what our technology can see.

At the end of the day, there are just as many speculations as to why we might be alone as there are galaxies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    You know, we could always just scale back on some conveniences and give Earth some time to recover. The technology will still be there when we make the next push forward.
    You're implying we have control over our actions. As individuals we do, but large groups of humans are mostly uncontrollable. The control that is exerted is only possible because some types of control allow for people to continue their most fundamental behaviors.

In the past religion has played a roll in control of a population. I think it's still the best control but it requires an ignorant population. Government is a very powerful control but it bows to the will of the masses, only exerting control for short periods of time before collapsing and being redrawn.

Technology is the only way out of this. Technology can change human behavior on a fundamental level. It has done so since the beginning of human history.
    Last edited by Zmaniac17; 2017-07-15 at 08:01 AM.

Deleted
    an interesting supposition, rarely do we forego the unfounded arrogance of our superiority.

It might very well be that we haven't proven that we're sustainably intelligent enough to stand the test of time. Or even if it is possible with the world we've been given.

My personal experience with some people make this, sadly enough, unlikely to ever happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    There's a compelling reason scientists think we've never found aliens, and it suggests humans are already going extinct

http://www.businessinsider.com/clima...17-7?r=US&IR=T

Unchecked climate change would eventually lead to widespread devastation on Earth.
    Uhh ohh, not this shit again. Yeah, climate is changing what can we do about it? Anwser the following questions:
    What do we do when we know that the earthquake would hit a town in a matter of minutes? Minimalizing the losses as we have NO MEANS of preventing earthquakes whatsoever.
    What do we do when we know that the big ass hurricane would smash on some coastal cities? Well, minimalizing the losses, evacuating people, taking precious staff and praying for weak hit. cause we have NO MEANS of preventing hurricans whatsoever.

And here, globally, the climate is changing, which is the result of one thing we have no control whatsoever, The Sun, and we think that we can actually affect that? I know that the CO2 is pleasant excuse but honestly it is not even the most important and greenhouse gas("steam" says hello), and we as a species are not even LEADING in it's production with all our industy, not to mention that raise of CO2 in atmosphere is the outcome of rising of temperature not the reason(look up the oceans and what happens when their temp is lowering/rising).

Not to mention that during Bronze Age, the climate was warmer than it will "soon" be for whole ages and we were not only fine but it lead us to the technology advance(more food and longer vegetation)

So, the climate is changing, check, we can't do anything about it so instead of focusing on meaningless activities we should adapt to that changes, exploit them, and if they are at least half so "terryfing" like people are telling, minimalize the losses.

Because i know we like to see ourselves like a rulers of Earth etc, but..."now is time to enter, a new way things to see, man is just a weak reflection in evolution's history".

And as for aliens, there are many more better explanations. Like time-tables, we are young and are looking for like what, 100 years? It's nothing to the age of universe. How much of the observable universe we checked? How much of non-obsevrable? Where do we look, on planets that can support the life as we know it? Maybe other "life" flourished somewhere where we won't even imagine it, not to mention that they might be long gone or will rise in some aeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    There's a compelling reason scientists think we've never found aliens, and it suggests humans are already going extinct

http://www.businessinsider.com/clima...17-7?r=US&IR=T
    You might find this interesting. It's going to be a complete series. It's very in depth.

Quote Originally Posted by z3rK View Post
    the climate is changing, which is the result of one thing we have no control whatsoever, The Sun
    Just wrong. Gotta read more...

So, the climate is changing, check, we can't do anything about it
    Wrong again, we can do something about it, we just wont.
    Last edited by Wartide_ysera; 2017-07-15 at 08:11 AM.

aliens may think of us as an unworthy race to befriend, would you try to befriend a gorilla and risk of being killed on the spot? No so why a technological advanced race if exist need to befriend humanity?

my two cent is that through in the universe there are other intelligent form of life there is none with the tech to space travel like movies, and even if there are i wouldn't go and poke them; i really don't understand this rose tinted glasses view that alien are peaceful and won't try to kill us on spot once they learn about us.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Deleted
    The biggest dissapointment would be that aliens would turn out to be humans as well and that we are just decendants of some shipwrecked crew.

Deleted
    If the various mass extinction events of the past couldn't kill us even before we had better clothing and shelter I think it would need to be an event that makes the planet completely devoid of life if it were to kill so many that we couldnt reproduce. 99.99% of our population could die and we could survive it as a species.

Our galaxy alone is big enough that there could be 1000s of civilisations at least as advanced as our own without any of them having direct proof for the existance of one another... And that's just our galaxy.

A quick google search tells me "All in all, Hubble reveals an estimated 100 billion galaxies in the universe or so, but this number is likely to increase to about 200 billion as telescope technology in space improves, Livio said." And that 200 billion probably isn't even close to the true number of galaxies in the solar system...

Then consider that just to travel to the nearest start in our galaxy it would take years to reach the nearest star to us even if you were travelling at the speed of light... The chances of any civilisation being close enough to another star that also had an advanced civilisation to ever know about it is just so tiny.

I think there is plenty of life out there... Possibly even civilisations far more advanced than our own and yet I doubt we will ever have proof for any of them and it's not because I think they are keeping themselves hidden intentionally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    aliens may think of us as an unworthy race to befriend, would you try to befriend a gorilla and risk of being killed on the spot? No so why a technological advanced race if exist need to befriend humanity?

my two cent is that through in the universe there are other intelligent form of life there is none with the tech to space travel like movies, and even if there are i wouldn't go and poke them; i really don't understand this rose tinted glasses view that alien are peaceful and won't try to kill us on spot once they learn about us.
    Plenty of people love animals that could kill them.

This is, strangely enough, a severely less possibility compared to almost any other theory.

Even including mind control and farming, slavery, infinite recursions theories, yada yada,

like the idea that the 9 planets in our solar system spew out from the sun, starting as mercury, and through eons become each other in order, so that Mars is the remnants of the last Earth, and cloudy Venus will cool and mingle with asteroid materials into the next Earth, is MORE likely than what you've just proposed.

The reason? We've been casting signatures out into space, in the very least data in the form of light reflection and/or radio signals.

Those would be collected from any previous civilization existing in the universe before us. By us. And we don't see any.

We could always say that such data hasn't had nearly enough time to "coast around" to be collected by us, but that presents the eventuality that there's going to be enough of it for some civilization some day, and in such an infinite timeline, the idea of us being close enough to the beginning to find only fresh space is absurd.

You could also say that the data flying around is corrupted beyond recovery by black holes and such, but even black holes expire and vomit out all they have collected eventually. Something will be left, and it will be identical to the "code" of the universe, so even if nobody left a message, we've still got a code we can deduce and employ.

Uhh ohh, not this shit again. Yeah, climate is changing what can we do about it? Anwser the following questions:
    What do we do when we know that the earthquake would hit a town in a matter of minutes? Minimalizing the losses as we have NO MEANS of preventing earthquakes whatsoever.
    What do we do when we know that the big ass hurricane would smash on some coastal cities? Well, minimalizing the losses, evacuating people, taking precious staff and praying for weak hit. cause we have NO MEANS of preventing hurricans whatsoever.

And here, globally, the climate is changing, which is the result of one thing we have no control whatsoever, The Sun, and we think that we can actually affect that? I know that the CO2 is pleasant excuse but honestly it is not even the most important and greenhouse gas("steam" says hello), and we as a species are not even LEADING in it's production with all our industy, not to mention that raise of CO2 in atmosphere is the outcome of rising of temperature not the reason(look up the oceans and what happens when their temp is lowering/rising).

Not to mention that during Bronze Age, the climate was warmer than it will "soon" be for whole ages and we were not only fine but it lead us to the technology advance(more food and longer vegetation)

So, the climate is changing, check, we can't do anything about it so instead of focusing on meaningless activities we should adapt to that changes, exploit them, and if they are at least half so "terryfing" like people are telling, minimalize the losses.

Because i know we like to see ourselves like a rulers of Earth etc, but..."now is time to enter, a new way things to see, man is just a weak reflection in evolution's history".

And as for aliens, there are many more better explanations. Like time-tables, we are young and are looking for like what, 100 years? It's nothing to the age of universe. How much of the observable universe we checked? How much of non-obsevrable? Where do we look, on planets that can support the life as we know it? Maybe other "life" flourished somewhere where we won't even imagine it, not to mention that they might be long gone or will rise in some aeons.
    All these scientists must be crazy and only you know what's really happening. I should have just come to MMO Champion and read your post then I wouldn't have wasted all my time in school.

I've got the anwser. We need to start minimalizing non-obsevrable hurricans on our industy because that's so terryfing. Do you understand me?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    I think there is plenty of life out there... Possibly even civilisations far more advanced than our own and yet I doubt we will ever have proof for any of them and it's not because I think they are keeping themselves hidden intentionally.
    Or maybe the speed of light and the lack of a feasible wormhole-like tech (or anything that would break the c wall) is limiting everyone in the universe. So we're all in different fish bowls, unable to reach each other... maybe we'll be able to detect other civilizations/be detected one day in the future.

Well, any alien contact relies on the vague hope that interstellar travel or communication is possible somehow.
    So far we found nothing to bridge the vast gaps to even the closest suns out there.

I am sure we are not alone in the universe, anything else would be ignorant.
    I find contacts with others out there highly unlikely at this point, let alone "visits".

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it would serve us right.

Links to peer reviewed scientific journals, corroborating your statements, please.

What are the odds of there actually being intelligent life somewhere else in the universe, what are the odds of them being advanced enough for any type of space travel, what are the odds of actually finding/contacting them, and what are the odds of them existing at the same time as us?

Be careful what you wish for.

Such scientific approach. Aliens are nowhere to be found, so we create theory that alien civilizations emerge and go down really fast and never meet each other.