Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Such scientific approach. Aliens are nowhere to be found, so we create theory that alien civilizations emerge and go down really fast and never meet each other.
    hypothesis - a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

scientific theory - a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation

look at how quickly weve stopped using most of the signals that would be found in space, combine that with how little we used those signals in the first place compared to our 5000+ civilization and then also combine all other factors like how long said aliens used them, and how space and time and travel all affected us receiving them.

if we went from radio to digital signals in such a short time span why the fuck would aliens still be using radio?

the small blip of time we were searching for signals and the tiny blip of time said signals were probably using makes it very hard for us to find any
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that this is just conjecture. But it's based in absolutely zero proof, with an added attempt to add more fuel to climate change arguments. It just feels completely unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a stupid claim to say we're going extinct, when the human race is so overpopulated now more then any other point in history. But saying we're going along the point where we're fuck up our own plant to the point of causing as world wide catastrophy is definitely a reasonable scenario
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    There's probably so little intelligent life in the universe, aliens couldn't exactly afford to be picky.
    If aliens even would call us intelligent, just becouse we think of ourself as intelligent don´t mean they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    There's probably so little intelligent life in the universe, aliens couldn't exactly afford to be picky.
    picky about what? why would they have to acknowledge us to begin with?

Every time i see a post like this it always makes me think how small life is compared to the vastness of the universe then it gets me thinking bout the speech from slam see vid below

plus i love how this guy gives 0 fks

I go in for the "rare Earth hypothesis" which means that the odds of life starting on a habitable planet are extremely rare. Instead of 1 in a billion chance it's more like 1 in a trillion trillion chance and even after life starts the odds of intelligent life coming about are even rarer.

There just aren't that many living creatures in the universe.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Aiushtha View Post
    You are ignoring a whole slew of other factors:

- Humanity may simply be the first to emerge.
    - The Earth has been through no less than 5, if not more extinction-level events.
    - The configuration of the Sol system can be unique, offering us protection and in turn giving us time for complex life to evolve.

there are many, many more.
    The universe in general is unwelcome to the forms of life that we know. The only thing preventing earth from still being bombarded by comets and asteroids is Jupiter.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    or you cant change the laws of physics so there is no way to travel faster than light so even if the universe is full of life you will never ever meet it

case closed
    Not really our understanding of physics is still new, if you think about it we are barely a blip in the life of earth imagine the Universe. We are basically cavemen when it comes to science, if life exist in the Universe it is probably much older than us and thinks us way too primitive to even visit. We have so many holes in our sciences that still need to be figured out maybe you can fold space time or use dark holes or suns as a power source we don't have that kind of knowledge yet. It's a good thing we haven't met aliens any species that could cross the cosmos would wipe us out of existence since their technology would be so far ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I go in for the "rare Earth hypothesis" which means that the odds of life starting on a habitable planet are extremely rare. Instead of 1 in a billion chance it's more like 1 in a trillion trillion chance and even after life starts the odds of intelligent life coming about are even rarer.

There just aren't that many living creatures in the universe.
    Pretty good odds for intelligent life, as there are 400 billion stars in our small galaxy alone, and an estimates 200 billion galaxies. Some galaxies are in order of 1.5 million light years accross, ours at best is about 180,000 light years.
    Last edited by Shakari; 2017-07-15 at 10:45 AM.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Not really our understanding of physics is still new, if you think about it we are barely a blip in the life of earth imagine the Universe. We are basically cavemen when it comes to science, if life exist in the Universe it is probably much older than us and thinks us way too primitive to even visit. We have so many holes in our sciences that still need to be figured out maybe you can fold space time or use dark holes or suns as a power source we don't have that kind of knowledge yet. It's a good thing we haven't met aliens any species that could cross the cosmos would wipe us out of existence since their technology would be so far ahead.
    Their technology would be so far ahead, that they probably wouldnt even care about us, and even if they feelt like they wanted they wouldnt need to use any advanced weapons, just nudge a astroid and wait, but they can probably easily see that we are already doing their job for them.
    Last edited by Raven; 2017-07-15 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Such scientific approach. Aliens are nowhere to be found, so we create theory that alien civilizations emerge and go down really fast and never meet each other.
    In the scale of time of the universe and stars etc it could be a mere blink of an eye..... yes humanity may last 1 million years ... in cosmic terms ... that's like oh hang on I'm going to blink... there we go, yet for us thats a hell of a long time. Its all relative.

Then you start talking about the distances etc involved its very likley than few civilisations or intelligent life forms would ever meet, but does not mean they don't or can't exist.
    Last edited by Shakari; 2017-07-15 at 10:16 AM.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Another thing lack of aliens points to is that we are living in a simulation, software running on a computer written by programmers, Sim City version 218.

And that the devs were just too lazy to add aliens.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to sound the conspiracy horn or anything and I'll be blunt about it. I think it's extremely unlikely that we haven't been visited and/or contacted countless times. Any intelligence capable of visiting Earth would likely just come here instead of relying on RF to establish contact, of which they've only had a window of less than 100 years to do so.

Reality isn't a movie where suddenly great truths are revealed and everything changes since people start caring. Reality is that the average person just doesn't care about most things being hidden from them because all they care about is making money for entertainment, feeding, and sheltering their families and most of the people making the large amounts of money that control the world primarily only care about making more, among other things..

We're all guilty of it, we're on a video game forum babbling about stuff when people are dying of starvation and other terrible things.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-07-15 at 10:50 AM. Reason: a word
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Deleted

Deleted
    There's absolutely no way any intelligent lifeform has existed, and been listening to our radio signals in the past decades, within the distance those signals have traveled, and there's even less of a chance that a spacefaring species would have just "happened upon" Earth, by chance, had the technology not to make their presence known, and then decided not to do so. To think anything else is just beyond arrogant.

Similarly, there just haven't been any lifesigns that we would have spotted, as it's not as if though we've been hearing the goings on of the entire Universe for the past hundred years or so.

Have there been creatures out there with a level of intelligence and technology at least as high as us Earthlings? Almost without a doubt. It's just almost impossible to happen to be on the same "page" in space and time, when we live such insignificantly short lives, and the Universe is so insanely old.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-07-15 at 10:35 AM.

I sexually identify as an ayyy lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    The universe in general is unwelcome to the forms of life that we know. The only thing preventing earth from still being bombarded by comets and asteroids is Jupiter.
    That's just our solar system. Other systems may be much more stable (may not have gone through a period of crazy planet collisions that formed the majority of asteroids in our system) or have even better protection that Jupiter. Or they could be way more unstable. There's as many possibilities as there are solar systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Recently there was this theory that an intelligent civilization that was very advanced would generate so much EM radiation that they would look like a flare to a telescope designed to pick up EM radiation. And if the universe is 13 billion years old these civilizations could've existed so long ago that their radiation is now passing Earth and we could see it.

They ran a test where they scanned vast parts of the sky for these "flares" but none were found.

-- Capt. Copeland