Thread: Melee DPS

Melee DPS

Hey guys,

Played ranged pretty much this entire game (except WOTLK where i mained a ret pally)
    I've mained Hunter since the start, and am so used to the high mobility, fast paced playstyle - now I want to have a 'main alt' preferably a melee dps. I have most classes, but given the timesink alts have I don't want to be dabbling between all of them anymore.

I want to play 2 classes, this isn't a pick for me thread - but what melee DPS compliments a Hunter'esque play style best? In terms of hitting hard and fast, I don't want to be waiting around for buttons to light up and having nothing to press for a while.

I am guessing it'll probably be DH or Warrior? Would rather play something quite immersive and plentiful of buttons to press.

Play whatever you like.

/thread

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to melee and don't want to go alt/timesink, just go Survival

Play a monk. It's a very fluid and fast paced class. You're always hitting SOMETHING and you're not playing whack a mole with the cooldowns. Just straight up rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Play whatever you like.

/thread
    Don't reply just to up your post count if you're contribution is useless. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xStevooo View Post
    Don't reply just to up your post count if you're contribution is useless. Thanks
    I don't really care about my post count, but threads like "What spec/class should I play" are forbidden, read the rules first.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I don't really care about my post count, but threads like "What spec/class should I play" are forbidden, read the rules first.
    Read the post first. Asking people's opinions for something that matches my playstyle, disappear kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of hitting hard and fast, I don't want to be waiting around for buttons to light up and having nothing to press for a while.
    Shaman Enh is the perfect for that. Always have something to press, sometimes you get some great successives procs and you can down enemies super fast. enh dps on a graph would be a straigth line with some small pikes here and there to make it fun. It's a really entertaining spec.

I think Fury warriors are a little bit like that i don't know didn't gear mine yet so i don't really know the playstyle once you have good stats.

WW Monk was always a spec with a constant stream of buttons to press without downtimes, my guild mate was only complaining about the fact that if you mess up your rotation yous dps suffer a lot. They changes it a bit in the last patch but it's till punishing, though a bit less than before.

Surv Hunter is a good melee dps with few downtimes, you only have to manage you dps windows. i guess a little bit like arcane mages, you have conservative phases and burst dps phases.

My guess would be one of the 3 specs above. Depends if you plan to raid or just quest.

DH dps have some downtimes to it. If RNGsus doesn't like you, you will stand there not doing anything waiting for your resource to build up. But that's mainly in raids, in questing and dungeons it's less noticed because you have shorter fights.

Deleted
    Having alts is not that "timesink", I actually have the 12 campaigns done, 6 mounts so far, and working in the other 6, and I am pretty casual if you ask me. Things are very easy for alts now, you can even reach 850 ilvl with 40 AK and have all artifacts max traits in the same day you reach 110. I got a priest to 110 last weekend and on monday I had it 880 ilvl with 1 legendary (bless bad luck protection) after running nighthold and tomb in LFR and 1 legion assault.
    Last edited by mmocd1c9020b34; 2017-07-15 at 12:55 PM.

Hey guys,

Played ranged pretty much this entire game (except WOTLK where i mained a ret pally)
    I've mained Hunter since the start, and am so used to the high mobility, fast paced playstyle - now I want to have a 'main alt' preferably a melee dps. I have most classes, but given the timesink alts have I don't want to be dabbling between all of them anymore.

I want to play 2 classes, this isn't a pick for me thread - but what melee DPS compliments a Hunter'esque play style best? In terms of hitting hard and fast, I don't want to be waiting around for buttons to light up and having nothing to press for a while.

I am guessing it'll probably be DH or Warrior? Would rather play something quite immersive and plentiful of buttons to press.
    Fury's good if you don't like downtime, as is Enh once you get your artifact filled, but levelling you will notice a bit of downtime.
    If you want mobility don't play a DK, warrior or DH will suit you better. DH in particular is worth a go since you start at such a high level, you don't have to invest too much time to get a decent idea of how you'll end up playing.

Quote Originally Posted by javislaterlp View Post
    Having alts is not that "timesink", I actually have the 12 campaigns done, 6 mounts so far, and working in the other 6, and I am pretty casual if you ask me. Things are very easy for alts now, you can even reach 850 ilvl with 40 AK and have all artifacts max traits in the same day you reach 110. I got a priest to 110 last weekend and on monday I had it 880 ilvl with 1 legendary (bless bad luck protection) after running nighthold and tomb in LFR and 1 legion assault.
    Yeah it is very easy, I have max AK and getting all of your traits unlocked (first section) takes minutes with that much AP. You can be 850 ilvl in a couple of hours if there's an invasion up also with dauntless gear! Bless bad luck protection :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    Shaman Enh is the perfect for that. Always have something to press, sometimes you get some great successives procs and you can down enemies super fast. enh dps on a graph would be a straigth line with some small pikes here and there to make it fun. It's a really entertaining spec.

I think Fury warriors are a little bit like that i don't know didn't gear mine yet so i don't really know the playstyle once you have good stats.

WW Monk was always a spec with a constant stream of buttons to press without downtimes, my guild mate was only complaining about the fact that if you mess up your rotation yous dps suffer a lot. They changes it a bit in the last patch but it's till punishing, though a bit less than before.

Surv Hunter is a good melee dps with few downtimes, you only have to manage you dps windows. i guess a little bit like arcane mages, you have conservative phases and burst dps phases.

My guess would be one of the 3 specs above. Depends if you plan to raid or just quest.

DH dps have some downtimes to it. If RNGsus doesn't like you, you will stand there not doing anything waiting for your resource to build up. But that's mainly in raids, in questing and dungeons it's less noticed because you have shorter fights.
    Thanks for your input!
    I am thinking Enh Shammy or Fury Warrior, neither of which I have on the server i'm playing at the moment so it'll be a fresh grind which I'm not looking forward to :P

I'll watch some videos on WW as i literally haven't got a clue about it's capabilities to be honest, if i played Survival i would probably be the only person on my server to do so haha. DH initially looked ideal, especially with the mobility, but you're right there can be some downtime - dependant on your build also.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Fury's good if you don't like downtime, as is Enh once you get your artifact filled, but levelling you will notice a bit of downtime.
    If you want mobility don't play a DK, warrior or DH will suit you better. DH in particular is worth a go since you start at such a high level, you don't have to invest too much time to get a decent idea of how you'll end up playing.
    I haven't long hit 110 on my DH, got 850 instantly off dauntless gear.
    I might have to invest some time to see how it plays out! I do love the mobility of the DH but there can be some downtime dependant on your build i guess?
    Enh looks interesting I will take a look!

Unholy DK, WW monk and shaman would be my top favorite melee classes this expantion.
    Fury warrior I also rather nice once you get the right legendaries and such.

None of these have much downtime and some, none at all.

If you aren't going to be raiding and dont feel the need to be the fotm top dps, I recommend ww monk. It's weaker than a lot of melee in the raid scene, but for dungeons and dailies it's pretty strong. It's also the most fun spec to play in the game, imo.

Hey guys,

the term you are searching for is "button smasher". you search for a class were you can fast and endless press keys to always have something to press, on the backyard of your brain, while sideways you focus on whats happening in raid. for many ppl (incl. you and me i assume) its more stressing to have a stop and go button pressing (also known as pooling, like the 2 rogue specs i.e.) than just endlessly hit keys.

the chars/specs (melee) you should look at (in the order of button smashiness) are:

- enh shaman
    - fury warrior
    - ret pally
    - outlaw rogue
    - monk
    - DH (a bit build depended)
    - arms warrior, but have little pooling and some rage wholes sometimes
    - sub rogue, but have also small pooling phases and is more tactical than smasing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    also good advise. if you want go like bazooom bazoooom mobility, dont play pally or DK. DH and Fury or shadowstep rogue (and to some degree enh shaman) is what you want there. thats just for the movement! button smashiness is fury and enh king.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2017-07-15 at 01:30 PM.

This is Surivival, you'll always have something to Press

As a Player who's inlove with Melee, and plays all of them, i would have gone with a Monk, its just very fun to play, and you always have the healer/tank offspecs if you want to try something new.
    its fun on ST, really good on AOE if you know how to use it.

if your choice is between Warrior and DH, go with DH, its by far more fun than Warrior, in my opinion.
    i've spent much more time on my DH, good mobility, good AOE and ST, a few viable game styles via talents...

if u want more info on any melee, feel free to PM me

Deleted
    what melee DPS compliments a Hunter'esque play style best?
    Would rather play something quite immersive and plentiful of buttons to press.
    Okay... don't think there are many specs that require less buttons than hunters, so no problem there.

Deleted
    Play a warrior.

Nothing compares to hacking and slashing, smashing and chopping your enemies into submission with a couple of two handers.

Or leap into the air and crush your enemies with a downward vertical cut.

Rampage, and Colossus Smash might actually be the most satisfying abilities in the game.

Warrior allows you to either be a wrecking ball berserker or a powerful master of melee weaponry, and hooo boy does it feel good.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2017-07-15 at 02:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is definitely a "help me pick my class" thread and that's not allowed.