View Poll Results: Have political views changed how you view celebrities?

Voters
41. This poll is closed
  • Nope. I just see famous people as people

14 34.15%
  • Yes. I wish they would all keep their mouths shut

16 39.02%
  • Sometimes if there are fundamental views

1 2.44%
  • I hate everybody anyways. (EVERYONE)

10 24.39%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Trying to contain the irony:

Why is that Ironic, sometimes the most honest people can be the people saying hey don't listen to me or anybody else like me.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Yeah, Jontron and Clint Eastwood comes to mind. I still enjoy Clint Eastwood movies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Why is that Ironic, sometimes the most honest people can be the people saying hey don't listen to me or anybody else like me.
    It is ironic because I agree that we really should not be listening to celebrities about political stuff anymore than anyone else, perhaps less because they really do not live normal lives.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    It is ironic because I agree that we really should not be listening to celebrities about political stuff anymore than anyone else, perhaps less because they really do not live normal lives.
    Yeah I agree with that but the truth be told famous or NOT even if it's ME. I DO NOT think it's a good idea to tell others what to say or think or believe about everything especially when it comes to arriving certain places that require knowing WHY, not just deciding one way or another.

I can seriously respect someone who sincerely doesn't agree with me or agrees, more than anybody that panders or simply jumps ship or band wagon hops with no reason logic or purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    My feeling is that some celebrities don't seem to understand the kind of influence they wield and either use it to fan the flames or oblivious shift opinion without care. Meryl Streep comes to mind when I think of overzealous political celebrities.

These times, it seems politics are much too heated and no one seems to be able to cool down. And celebrities, wittingly or unwittingly, have a lot of influence on the younger generation. Brings about a cycle of overly passionate and opinionated folks which also tend to be misinformed due to regurgitating soundbites from said celebrities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    My feeling is that some celebrities don't seem to understand the kind of influence they wield and either use it to fan the flames or oblivious shift opinion without care. Meryl Streep comes to mind when I think of overzealous political celebrities.

These times, it seems politics are much too heated and no one seems to be able to cool down. And celebrities, wittingly or unwittingly, have a lot of influence on the younger generation. Brings about a cycle of overly passionate and opinionated folks which also tend to be misinformed due to regurgitating soundbites from said celebrities.

If they didn't understand that or rather know it they wouldn't be celebrities, the whole point of fame to be gainfully employed is to sell things. Maybe some are too stupid to make the connections but their handlers wouldn't be.

As for things being too hot and cool down, I disagree with that sometimes things are right where they need to be unpleasant or not, because otherwise you have people taking shit less seriously, so that those that want to remain blissfully ignorant can do so at the horrific expense of others.

Have political views changed how you view celebrities?

More than that, are their some celebrities who you liked or works you used to like, until you found out where they stood?

Should Celebrities get involved with politics, why or why not?

Are there any examples you can give?

Personally I view celebrities as a pretty unimportant component in anything I enjoy over all with a few exceptions, Like say Mel Gibson, I liked his work, but it isn't his view on politics as to why I won't support him with my dollars, it's his over all behavior in the past.

I AM NOT one of those people that believes because someone is famous that their views shouldn't be expressed as such, however regardless to how they lean politically, I just don't think it should be MORE or LESS important than anyone else, regardless to platform.

In aside from Mel there aren't any examples of people who's politics or world views for that matter I found out later on that it made any difference however I do notice that it doesn't happen very often at all.

Typically when it comes to art there are works for whatever reason I always liked by people who over all seem to have politics agree with, I say SEEM, because just because I like their work, them possibly seeming to agree on things I do is irrelevant.
    Their opinions are no more informed or uninformed than any other individual's thoughts on the matter, they just happen to get treated with some air of importance because people pay attention to them for their other work.

I don't care what an artists or performers stance on things is for the most part, and generally don't want to know in the first place. If I enjoy their work, I'll continue to.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they didn't understand that or rather know it they wouldn't be celebrities, the whole point of fame to be gainfully employed is to sell things. Maybe some are too stupid to make the connections but their handlers wouldn't be.

As for things being too hot and cool down, I disagree with that sometimes things are right where they need to be unpleasant or not, because otherwise you have people taking shit less seriously, so that those that want to remain blissfully ignorant can do so at the horrific expense of others.
    I mean too hot in the sense that we have too much yelling and disgruntled anger, that information and points get lost in the chase to prove people wrong. There isn't a value in people taking things more seriously if they don't fully understand the reasoning behind their stances, or just side with like minded folks for the sake of not being with, 'them'. Hive mind is a bad philosophy regardless of where you stand. Perpetuates a cycle of continued strife, leaving little room for compromise. People become too focused on standing their ground and eliminating the opposition instead of shifting opinions, coming to a middle ground, and giving your fellow man a chance to learn.

This all is of course more general speak, not just politics or specific topics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Their opinions are no more informed or uninformed than any other individual's thoughts on the matter, they just happen to get treated with some air of importance because people pay attention to them for their other work.

I don't care what an artists or performers stance on things is for the most part, and generally don't want to know in the first place. If I enjoy their work, I'll continue to.
    Yeah, I agree. Nice break down.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    You can have a following and still be a blatant idiot. Their views are not more important, they just have the potential to make a bigger impact due to their status. Having media, role models, or a following does not equal intelligence on any given subject.
    Never said some weren't idiots but unfortunately their views are more important because they can influence more people. That's just the reality of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I mean too hot in the sense that we have too much yelling and disgruntled anger, that information and points get lost in the chase to prove people wrong. There isn't a value in people taking things more seriously if they don't fully understand the reasoning behind their stances, or just side with like minded folks for the sake of not being with, 'them'. Hive mind is a bad philosophy regardless of where you stand. Perpetuates a cycle of continued strife, leaving little room for compromise. People become too focused on standing their ground and eliminating the opposition instead of shifting opinions, coming to a middle ground, and giving your fellow man a chance to learn.

This all is of course more general speak, not just politics or specific topics.
    Yeah, I see what you mean but here is my counter a little if you can follow, yeah people should be as you said more calm and what not the problem is and regardless to ideology or anything, sometimes, totally controlled passions can often lead to misunderstandings.

You ever heard the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Now obviously this can be applied like the boy that cried wolf. But my point is regardless to all that, I really do want some passion and some screaming why?

Because sometimes without those discomforts, I think all can agree regardless to views that can be also a very bad thing. Sometimes a calm before a storm can fool some into putting too much stock in others efforts to be calm

As for the other thing compromise can be good but to views others serious contentions as simply a "agree to disagree" type thing like all out disagreements are like who likes Chocolate who Likes Vanilla Ice Cream.

No some things are very fundamental and important and ignoring those things or perceiving those things as not serious enough can lead to nightmares. Much worse than observing people at least talking doing so even sometimes heated.

However feelings and passions doesn't mean both sides are right either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I agree, whether it's politically correct or not I hate pandering or insincerely apologizing for shit,

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, I agree too, but here is the thing I hate more, WHY THE FUCK regardless to his status is Jim Carey given any kind of credibility just because he is famous?

Nothing against him or anyone else famous, but seriously why can't people be expected to recognize that?
    That seriously pisses me off. How the fuck is Jenny McCarthy more qualified than actual doctors?
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    That seriously pisses me off. How the fuck is Jenny McCarthy more qualified than actual doctors?
    Yep exactly, she is free to have her opinion but I totally agree her being yelled at or targeted is totally fair game. Not because she is just famous though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't let personal views and opinions affect how I see them. They'd really have to lose their mind for me to not like them anymore. Some celebrities might have stupid opinions but you can't let that get in the way with how nice they are. For instance, Jim Carrey. I heard he's an anti-vaxxer. My view on vaccinations is that kids should definitely be getting them as I think it's idiotic to think it leads to autism or whatever they're saying it does. However I'm not going to let that get in the way of the fact that Jim is a really nice and funny guy. He's never hurt anyone or disrespected anyone he's just a chill kind of guy, been a fan of his ever since I was a kid watching Ace Ventura and The Mask.

It's one of the problems in this world. People take their opinions to heart and if someone goes against it it's like a personal attack and all of a sudden they're a terrible person, he's an idiot, he's a piece of shit, he's this, he's that. Judging someone on what they believe in is just stupid. As long as they're not fanatical about it who cares? Not everyone is going to have the same views as you do so get over it.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The problem with celebrity opinions is that celebrities are so divorced from reality that its impossible to take them seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account

Some of them should keep their fucking mouths shut or practice what they preach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    I don't let personal views and opinions affect how I see them. They'd really have to lose their mind for me to not like them anymore. Some celebrities might have stupid opinions but you can't let that get in the way with how nice they are. For instance, Jim Carrey. I heard he's an anti-vaxxer. My view on vaccinations is that kids should definitely be getting them as I think it's idiotic to think it leads to autism or whatever they're saying it does. However I'm not going to let that get in the way of the fact that Jim is a really nice and funny guy. He's never hurt anyone or disrespected anyone he's just a chill kind of guy, been a fan of his ever since I was a kid watching Ace Ventura and The Mask.

It's one of the problems in this world. People take their opinions to heart and if someone goes against it it's like a personal attack and all of a sudden they're a terrible person, he's an idiot, he's a piece of shit, he's this, he's that. Judging someone on what they believe in is just stupid. As long as they're not fanatical about it who cares? Not everyone is going to have the same views as you do so get over it.
    I don't agree with that Caitlin Jenner and Venus Williams seem like nice people right. I am not sure what they intended when they hit and killed people, but if they did do so, I can say yeah, regardless to what they intended if they caused someone to be injured or killed and did nothing, I don't care how nice they are.

Speaking from a play form on your favorite candidate politics or what not isn't injuring anyone per say, but when you go on a path with nonsense and convince people not to get very needed vaccines, then no, I don't care how nice you are either.

That isn't politics that's actively engaging in the harm or death of others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    The problem with celebrity opinions is that celebrities are so divorced from reality that its impossible to take them seriously.
    Not anymore than your so called experts online, some are informed some aren't

The amount of censorship promotion is a little shocking. They're really no different from a Tijuana crying on MMO-C outside of the fact that they have an audience and people willing to actually listen to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless their work/art is being influenced by their politics then no I can separate the two and don't really care about celebrities opinions all that much because they're just another person. The people that have hard ons for free speech but wish celebrities would be quiet is hilarious though.

Presidential run maybe.

Kid Rock running for senator of Michigan.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland