Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Pre-emptive legislation

Lets take an extreme example to show what I mean

If aliens suddenly came to earth we would lack any jurisdiction regarding their status and how to handle eventual criminal activity (drugs could be legal in their home world for example) or racism from the locals.

So the question is wether we should adapt and transpose existing laws or create them from scratch?
    I took an unlikely example but you get the point, what do you think of writing laws pre emptively vs writing them empirically

There would be no use doing anything if aliens came here, they would either wipe us out, not care about us or enslave us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    There would be no use doing anything if aliens came here, they would either wipe us out, not care about us or enslave us.
    Those claims are based on zero evidence

Humans study all kinds of stuff for the sake of it, why wouldn't alien be curious about another intelligent form of life

We would kill them all, seize their spacecraft and spread across the universe leaving burning planets in our wake. Peace my ass.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly if aliens did arrive regardless to if they come in peace or not we would be fucked. We have more problems than just a certain group of people over another misapplying definitions based on what objective knowledge we have.

Secondly If Aliens made contact or we did it's very unlikely any of those things would be the first to come up, or we would be able to look pretty suddenly for our first date with an unexpected guest.

Humans as advances as we are, we are primarily controlled by two primal elements, FEARS and Violence. Despite our best intelligence the collective consciousness together wouldn't be enough to prevent anything but disaster.

It's not laws it's people, and CHOICE
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Aliens would take a quick look on how we threat our animals or even our own then nuke us from orbit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post

Humans study all kinds of stuff for the sake of it, why wouldn't alien be curious about another intelligent form of life
    No it's based on logic and pretty sound reasoning, even if they are "ALIENS" there are certain realities that will be constant, because we know the process, of knowledge and action from Human Animals to everything else.

It's only a human concept of anything else, and one that is kind of silly to subscribe that any aliens have anything other than their own needs or wants for arriving.

No, if any alien species would be able to come to earth they would be vastly technologically superior to the point we would never be a threat to them. It's one of those 3 things that would happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Firstly if aliens did arrive regardless to if they come in peace or not we would be fucked. We have more problems than just a certain group of people over another misapplying definitions based on what objective knowledge we have.

Secondly If Aliens made contact or we did it's very unlikely any of those things would be the first to come up, or we would be able to look pretty suddenly for our first date with an unexpected guest.

Humans as advances as we are, we are primarily controlled by two primal elements, FEARS and Violence. Despite our best intelligence the collective consciousness together wouldn't be enough to prevent anything but disaster.

It's not laws it's people, and CHOICE
    But IF they came they would end up being seen as normal yet we don't have laws for them so they could basically be drug dealing without any legal mean of intervention

Worst case scenarios, humans would use them as legal surrogates to avoid prison

Deleted
    Preemptive like the outer space treaty? regulating things before they're relevant.
    That one treaty looks today as posing a significant deterrent to national exploitation of resources. Which may play a major role in colonizing Mars, and will possibly be entirely ignored.
    Given the difficulty of abolishing ancient and anachronistic legislation (like the abundant blasphemy laws), I prefer things unregulated by default.

But IF they came they would end up being seen as normal yet we don't have laws for them so they could basically be drug dealing without any legal mean of intervention

How would you intervene legally against a vastly technologically superior population if they say no?

If aliens showed up and didn't exterminate us, its going to be a very volatile time in our societies as it would instantly disprove all religious text dealing with the cosmos

Deleted
    No, if any alien species would be able to come to earth they would be vastly technologically superior to the point we would never be a threat to them. It's one of those 3 things that would happen.
    Then why would they need slaves if they are so advanced ? And why would they come to 'not care' about us unless they are edgy teenagers

Then why would they need slaves if they are so advanced?
    Not need, they would do it because they want to.

And why would they come to 'not care' about us unless they are edgy teenagers
    Observation, just like we observe ant colonies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Aliens would take a quick look on how we threat our animals or even our own then nuke us from orbit.
    Well if you only believe 1% if the 99% of all the BS stories about Aliens, we KNOW two things.

They already see us much like we see animals here, like when we tag animals for research or anything else. There for don't consider us AT ALL!

Their intent is hostile. You don't abduct or invade someone else's territory of space unless you mean to, regardless to anything different about us, They know what they are doing, and they Know we can't do anything about it, at all.

Either situation would NOT be good, if a species doesn't fucking consider you, then you can forget that let's have a talk shit, you aren't consider enough on their level to even say "Hello"

The Other actually maybe not so bad, they are likely doing whatever the hell it is they want to do, and short of any other kind of real evidence, I am guessing we wont be having any Independence Day time conflicts.

Neither are especially good, but IF they were true not enough to inform the general public about, and to do so would only cause panic.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why would they need slaves if they are so advanced ? And why would they come to 'not care' about us unless they are edgy teenagers
    Why do people own really exotic miniature dogs and breed them like fashion products?

Because they can for their own amusement.

Deleted
    Not need, they would do it because they want to.

Observation, just like we observe ant colonies.
    So they care then... seems like a contradiction there

Also I don't get why they would want to spend valuable time and resources to harvest inefficient slaves when they have perfectly good machines

That's like General Motors deciding to enslave all horses

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    If aliens showed up and didn't exterminate us, its going to be a very volatile time in our societies as it would instantly disprove all religious text dealing with the cosmos
    idk if it does, honestly. the book of enoch says there were angel astronomers. what use are astronomers if they're not looking at something?

if they aren't hostile or uncaring about us, we would need laws about interaction. i would also expect terrorist attacks on locations where we meet with them, as some religious hardliners would think they're demons or something.

So they care then... seems like a contradiction there
    I don't care about ants when I observe an ant colony... If they'd attack me I'd kill them.

10+ Year Old Account

Do either of those things even seem like they even remotely approach the kind of relationship you suggest. The Alternative Sir Kurata is if we found an already preexisting civilization say on out explorations of our solar system.

In which case if you take the colon-ism and a map for a fairly rough guide, None of what you suggest again will be a real issue.

But I wont be a complete buzz kill and I will go with your scenario.

Well the answer is the process would go very slowly and laws like they always have would reflect as such, like say the internet, and the laws that are being form right now to govern them, hell who knows maybe the next life we find it A.I.

Lets take an extreme example to show what I mean

If aliens suddenly came to earth we would lack any jurisdiction regarding their status and how to handle eventual criminal activity (drugs could be legal in their home world for example) or racism from the locals.

So the question is wether we should adapt and transpose existing laws or create them from scratch?
    I took an unlikely example but you get the point, what do you think of writing laws pre emptively vs writing them empirically
    You should care more about the amount of power that group like Heritage Foundation hold over your own life.