Busted mechanical keyboard - throw it away?

So sad to say my Ducky Shine passed away recently due to a nasty spill. I've tried all the methods of resuscitation and sure enough it's gone for good.

I'm going to be replacing it but I feel a little silly throwing the old one in the rubbish - the circuit board is fried but presumably there's still like $100 worth of cherry MX switches in there, perfectly functional.

Any advice on what to do with it? Or is it just junk now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the very least you can save the caps, right ?
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    At the very least you can save the caps, right ?
    Yeah but the caps are just plastic and my new keyboard will have its own so... eh. Actually thinking of getting one of the ones with floating caps next time so I couldn't even use them.

I don't know if there's even anywhere that recycles the MX switches. Seems like a waste.

10+ Year Old Account
    You tried putting it in the shower for a few minutes, then letting it dry off, then soaking it in 100% isopropyl alcohol, then letting it dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So sad to say my Ducky Shine passed away recently due to a nasty spill. I've tried all the methods of resuscitation and sure enough it's gone for good.

I'm going to be replacing it but I feel a little silly throwing the old one in the rubbish - the circuit board is fried but presumably there's still like $100 worth of cherry MX switches in there, perfectly functional.

Any advice on what to do with it? Or is it just junk now?
    Poor ducky RIP in pepperoni little buddy. best option is to try and get any replacement parts via http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Warranty.html if not i recommend the shine 6.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodforsilence View Post
    Poor ducky RIP in pepperoni little buddy. best option is to try and get any replacement parts via http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Warranty.html if not i recommend the shine 6.
    Yeah I've ordered a 6, the RGB looks a lot better than my 4 and it has the floating keycaps. So it's a net upgrade anyway.

I just feel wasteful chucking all those MX keys in the bin.

*whispers into the room* ebay~~~~~~~

people buy all kinds of shit. i have sold so many dead electronics on ebay! as long as you say its broken, click 'no returns,' anything beyond your postage costs is money in your pocket~

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    *whispers into the room* ebay~~~~~~~

people buy all kinds of shit. i have sold so many dead electronics on ebay! as long as you say its broken, click 'no returns,' anything beyond your postage costs is money in your pocket~
    Yeah I thought of that, surprised if I'd get more than $20 for a broken keyboard though. Which doesn't seem worth the trouble listing it.

HOTS player here too , maybe in r/MechanicalKeyboards somebody has a good idea. Also what mojo6912 said.

IPA can clear literally everything. I have been working in a computer repair shop, and once an Alienware has been brought in that was thrown into a huge cake while it was turned on (i know, what the f*ck?). We disassambled it and the parts were dipped into a vat of isopropyl alcohol for 24 hours, after that we scrubbed them a bit and when dried off and assembled back, it worked again like a charm.