Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That was true until J. Allen Brack floated the idea of pristine servers.

At the very least that showed a willingness to consider the idea of maintaining two separate versions. He didn't have to float that trial balloon. He's pretty much dining at the top level of the food chain in Irvine.
    He floated the pristine servers idea more as an example that the Blizzard developers at least toyed with ideas for vanilla-esque servers, but he did not mean that they were serious about it nor that they were working on it. It's very much like taking an example out of a huge whiteboard of brainstorms to show you they think about all kinds of stuff all the time, but people shouldn't expect anything out of it.

That statement was meant to placate the people angry at them for not releasing vanilla servers, nothing else.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    The first boss on heroic is Goroth though... 100% of guilds that have downed a heroic boss have downed Goroth. So, you're wrong.
    no, 57% of raiding guilds have done at least 1 boss on heroic, the other 43% have done at least 1 boss on normal

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    no, 57% of raiding guilds have done at least 1 boss on heroic, the other 43% have done at least 1 boss on normal
    This discussion is weird, since you aren't disagreeing with him.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubaskot View Post
    i never guessed, there was a pretty legit information on towelliees stream few weeks ago, dont know much else cause i was passing by.
    2539 guilds have done at least one boss on mythic = 50,780 people
    a further 24,934 guilds have done at least one boss on either normal or heroic = minimum 249,340 maximum 748,020

averaging it out roughly I would estimate that at least half a million people have done tomb raiding, and that doesn't count the lfr people which would probably add a lot more

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    This discussion is weird, since you aren't disagreeing with him.
    i hate semantics

Highly unlikely. I serriously doubt blizzard would waste their resources to create something that will be used by 0,000x% of population.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Nothing hard nor "hardcore" about Classic. At all. From leveling to raiding, it was about having time to waste, not gameplay prowess. The biggest contributors to people having a difficult time back then, was how new people were to the game and how unpolished it was.

You find it challenging spending time doing mindless content aimed at the lowest common denominator? You could always watch paint dry and be challenged I guess...
    I couldn't pull and successfully defeat as many mobs while leveling in vanilla than I can now, so I guess Vanilla was more hardcore. QED.

Quote Originally Posted by reauxmont View Post
    I couldn't pull and successfully defeat as many mobs while leveling in vanilla than I can now, so I guess Vanilla was more hardcore. QED.
    Having recently tried out vanilla myself I can confirm this. If you pull more than one mob you're generally dead. The same goes for dungeons and raids too in a sense, you can't just group up everything and aoe it down, you need to use cc, focus priority targets and interrupt. It's more tactical, a waltz where current content is more like a mosh pit. Both models are good in their own way depending on your mindset. I personally like a more laid back, slow and tactical experience where you spend an hour or even two slowly traversing the dungeon. Running at full speed mashing buttons like a crazy person and resetting every 15 minutes is just to exhausting, you don't even have time to stop and examine all the gear you get, you have to do it after the run otherwise you'll be miles behind your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathan666 View Post
    I think 8.0 would be the perfect time to introduce "hardcore servers" don't you think? I'm not talking about hardcore mode like Diablo where when you die, your character gets deleted. Just special rule set like:

- Much slower leveling speed (no XP boost, no character boost)
    - Removal of LFR and Dungeon Queues
    - Removal of Crossrealm/virtualization technology
    - No server transfer
    etc.

Wow has been drifting more and more into a single player with MMO elements. They need to bring back the core essence of what an MMORPG is supposed to be.
    This will never happen, I personally guarantee it

How likely? I'd say 0% except nothing is impossible. So I'll say the likelihood is 0.1%.

pristine servers would make me want to play legion again. The new shit is great but the way its taken in sucks and the new community isnt down. The game was much better as a slow mmo than a fast paced lobby game

Quote Originally Posted by Rawmac View Post
    This will never happen, I personally guarantee it
    Everytime I read something like this, I wish Blizzard would actually introduce the stuff that supposedly will "never happen", just to fuck with people who seemingly know the future and therefore hand out personal guarantees like apples.

sounds like a awful idea

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    No. They basically allowed the private servers to run and are monitoring it.
    True, something like Warmane (which has over 30,000+ active players online at most times) is only allowed to run (ilegally) because Blizzard allows it. I don't understand why they do though. :-/ Surely they should be fighting actively against it and not allowing private servers get that big... Heck, that's 30,000 people that could be paying a subscription but are not.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

7+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it. I just want them to make levelling not shit.
    They started doing it in WoD but with Legion their work is undermined. You 2 shot things at level 20 (facing level 20s) with literally no gear but a level 9 sword as a Paladin.

That's not right. I don't want Vanilla levelling back, as much as I enjoy the difficulty, I just want it to not be a complete faceroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    True, something like Warmane (which has over 30,000+ active players online at most times) is only allowed to run (ilegally) because Blizzard allows it. I don't understand why they do though. :-/ Surely they should be fighting actively against it and not allowing private servers get that big... Heck, that's 30,000 people that could be paying a subscription but are not.
    I doubt those people would pay subscription.

Even if official vanilla realms came to be, many people would continue playing on PS, because it's free, because drop/xp/etc rates might be better, etc. It's also practically impossible to shut down all private servers. And lastly, even back in the day when Vanilla was current, people were playing on private servers, even though their quality was shite lacking, people kept playing.

There's a Russian proverb that explains this whole thingy quite nicely, "for free, even vinegar is sweet."
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-07-16 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    I doubt those people would pay subscription.

Even if official vanilla realms were came to be, many people would continue playing on PS, because it's free, because drop/xp/etc rates might be better, etc. It's also practically impossible to shut down all private servers. And lastly, even back in the day when Vanilla was current, people were playing on private servers, even though their quality was shite lacking, people kept playing.

There's a Russian proverb that explains this whole thingy quite nicely, "for free, even vinegar is sweet."
    I kind of agree I think you could get roughly 50% of private server players as even the best ones have some glaring bugs. Not game breaking but I did find more then one quest npc hanging out on the roof of the house he was supposed to spawn in.

One thing to remember is that WoW pre... wrath I would say was a entirely different style of game. I think you could run a pretty successful mmo... especially if you introduced some very limited new features like cross transmog.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathan666 View Post
    I'm not talking about legacy or vanilla servers at all. The same exact game, same content like normal servers but with the removal of "toxic" features. It wouldn't require a lot of resources either. Just removing some key elements to make the game feel like you belong in an actual MMORPG.
    How is LFR and LFD and other queues "toxic"? A feature that allows other player to raids is somehow "toxic" and ruining your game? How is someone else raiding affecting your playtime in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by reauxmont View Post
    Plenty of areas have mobs that you cannot just pull endlessly, and guess what, they have actual mechanics to them. Some world mobs today have more mechanics to them than Classic bosses. And raids always have the sort of trash which is unforgiving.

Having tried Classic leveling, I can say this; Shit tuning =/= clever design to keep things dangerous. The AI is still dumb-as-bricks, there's nothing hardcore about it compared to other MMOS of that time, which is how it became such a success. I can promise you though that a new player today, running through the murloc camps or wolf areas or quillboar areas or whatever, WILL die to aggro and not being aware of what he/she has in her/his toolkit. I've seen it happen. I guess that person will come back 7 years later and proclaim how "quillboars used to kill me, they were the epitome of difficult content design!!!"...

The timesinks are real, but we're currently in an expansion slammed by MMO-C people for its timesinks, so I guess that evens out...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-07-16 at 01:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post

Then you would have no problem providing the link to this 'actual fact'.

i said i was passing by, what part of this you dont understand, why the hell are you so triggered?!

Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    Why do people on mmo-c keep making stupid threads?
    This is exactly what happens when you give everyone an equal voice and no way for the public to bury (downvote) it.