Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Soooo what time does the sport event thing end so we can get the important stuff? :S
    It depends on how long the match lasts... Frankly, with Federer in the form he's in, I can't see the match lasting all that long XD.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Federer clearly won his first 2 out of 3. So I would have said not long now but with my luck Čilić now makes the game last longer then it needs to be just to piss off all whovians

Update: Game is over now (finally) so turn on BBC if you can
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2017-07-16 at 02:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Federer clearly won his first 2 out of 3. So I would have said not long now but with my luck Čilić now makes the game last longer then it needs to be just to piss off all whovians

Update: Game is over now (finally) so turn on BBC if you can
    Furiously hitting F5 while watching BBC America hoping to god they have the announcement lol.

So, to get my final thoughts of who the 13th Doctor will be on the eve of his (or her!) reveal…

There’s too many names out there for me to choose one, so I’m making my prediction of WHAT the Doctor will be, rather than WHO it will be.

WARNING: Spoilers ahead for the recently aired Season Finale and Upcoming Xmas episode reveal.

My opinion on the WHAT the Doctor is going to be is based on a number of things, but primarily it will be how this season ended and the theme of the upcoming Christmas episode…

Currently, the theme of the Xmas episode is going to be about not resisting change as it not only sees the 12th Doctor fighting against regenerating (notice he kept saying “I will not CHANGE” instead of “I will not regenerate!”? in the end) but it will also feature the 1st Doctor resisting his imminent change (Us nerds figured out it’s set in Antarctica during his final episode, the Tenth Planet).

So, we’re going to have an episode showcasing the benefits of very dramatic change from both sides, the VERY FIRST regeneration (which was a radical idea) to the end of the Capaldi/Moff era (a lot of transition going on!)…

…for an episode focusing on change - to me, it would therefore seem VERY unlikely that the next Doctor is just going to end up being a David Tennant style clone or a typical Doctor. It sounds like they’re setting up for something radicallyy different!

So, to me, the order is this:

1) Female Doctor: this one, to me, is the most likely… aside from the above reasons, Doctor Who has always been about keeping up with the times, and many pro-female roles/characters/issues have happened in the past few years. There’s also some global politics involved… but I’m going to stay away from those reasons to avoid conversation derailment purposes into political bickering. :P I’ll also add that this is a perfect time for her to go Ginger too, since - well - name me the number of successful female ginger actors vs male ones? ;P

2) African-British Doctor: The Doctor hasn’t changed race yet - and tradition usually tends to have previously white-characters “Go Black” in redesigns before they attempt to make a female version of them (Spiderman, Movie version of Kingpin, Electro, “L” In Netflix Deathnote, ect)… though there are no rules for that really. ;P Now, nothing says that the Doctor can’t be BOTH female and African-heritage… but IMO I think that might be a bit overkill. (and they already had fun with that with other Time Lords changing race/gender at once!)

3) Asian Doctor - and by “Asian” I’m referring to either Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese or Korean based. This is PURELY my own conspiracy theory here, so don’t take this one too wholeheartedly! ;P But back at the end of April, the BBC struck a big deal with Shanghai Media Group to expand Doctor Who’s fanbase in China as it’s apparently a pretty big deal there. The deal involves many things, up to and including cooperation of studio teams - and the deal not only covers all the current new-who, but also the upcoming seasons 11-15! I mean, this sounds like a pretty serious deal if they’re already guaranteeing 5 seasons! So, the conspiracy theorist in me is saying the next season may start having some leanings towards Chinese culture (much how the series was leaning towards the West/USA due to its popularity here)

So… there’s my take. We’ll know either way soon enough! So - “Who Knows…”

Inb4 it's Dawn French.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I can't believe this hasn't leaked yet.
    Honestly, I have a feeling this is probably why they're announcing it with 2-days notice.

Methinks it did leak, and the publisher who's got the leak is going to print it Monday. This is probably the Beeb trying to keep the announcement to themselves. Remember, this exact same thing happened with Billie Piper's return to the series and the Night of the Doctor episode starring Paul McGann. The press found out about Billie, so the BBC had to release their own images to counteract them - and Night of the Doctor got released a full week before it was meant to because the press was going to run the story of McGann's return.

I mean, when in the history of EVER has there been any major announcements after Wimbledon? And 2 day notice? I mean - hell - they even ran the story last week that the director of the Xmas episode didn't even know who the 13th Doctor was going to be! >_<

Deleted
    Its a girl.... damn femnazis....

for people without bbc
    https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho

Also Capaldi got a special to Announce him. She only gets a 1 minute clip. rofl
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2017-07-16 at 03:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can dig it. at least she was smiling.

She looks familiar though, maybe from Broadchurch.

- - - Updated - - -

for people without bbc
    https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho

Also Capaldi got a special to Announce him. She only gets a 1 minute clip. rofl
    I actually liked the reveal. I hyped myself up too much though lol.

Deleted
    Well that didn't took long

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    Well that didn't took long
    lol no doubt. After digesting the reveal, I actually quite like it.

Although a little bit of me was hoping Tennant would come back somehow. Not sure if they can even regen into a previous incarnation though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    I can dig it. at least she was smiling.

She looks familiar though, maybe from Broadchurch.
    Yup, she was the mother from Broadchurch.

Got to say... I'm disappointed. I'm not a fan of her acting, she was decent in Broadchurch, but she's NOT a lead. There were a number of people who were far better picks to play the Doctor than her.

I can tell you one thing: They need to NAIL her premiere. Because a LOT of people are going to tune in to watch the first episode... If they don't knock it right out of the park people will switch off in droves.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I feel a disturbance in the force...........oops wrong franchise.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh dear, mind if I set up a beach chair for this new revelation of a character who is a diff actor every season? I guess the usuals are gonna be very upset.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    lol no doubt. After digesting the reveal, I actually quite like it.

Although a little bit of me was hoping Tennant would come back somehow. Not sure if they can even regen into a previous incarnation though.
    They can, if the Day of the Doctor is considered canon; you had an elderly Tom Baker (clearly older than he got to when he originally regenerated) talking about going back to "old faces". The implication being that at some point in the future, he regenerates back to a face he has previously worn.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

I can't believe people are actually mad about this. I mean for fucks sake.

Deleted
    Gonna watch how the usual suspects come expecting eagerly for other usual suspects to do usually suspect things.

Pretty sure it goes as always .. takes a few episodes to get used to the new doctor then it is back to normal ...... was a huge fan of David Tennant as the doctor tho ... time will tell.

I kinda wish they went with an older woman though... and one that wasn't blonde. This one is to much, well, kinda good looking! :P

I mean, say what you will about David Tennant - he was "Nerd Sexy". This one is just, well, sexy :P

I'm hoping her costume will reduce this a bit.

But, all in all, it's as I was expecting! Curious to see how they play her. :P

Also - as I said in another thread - does this give us men the right to act like the fangirls did with David Tennant? ;P

Deleted
    So happy we're getting a female doctor. Loved Jodie in Attack the block, I think she'll be brilliant.