Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Hope she's good anyway. Everyone's inevitably going to end up beiing called a misogynist/sexist etc for criticising her performance if she's shit.
    There were a number of suitable female actresses that could have continued making the Doctor male, Tilda Swinton for example.

But not the one they picked. This isn't about who plays the role, but about the character being fundamentally destroyed.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

/sigh as someone who is a Doctor Who fan to the extreme(Most of my house and office is in Doctor Who Decor) It feels like the show is going down hill.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    There you go again. What makes you think I didn't understand the context of this thread? I
    If one comes into a thread discussing a TV show, and imposes non TV show standards on commentary - then by definition they do not understand the context of the thread.

That is - I made no assumptions, I just informed someone who was obviously unaware of the situation.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    If she has a female companion I bet a lot of people will feel uncomfortable.
    Well they have already done that sort of thing with Madame Vastra, Jenny Flint, and the suggested with Clara and Ashildr.. And in the past you had Captain Jack Harkness.. So will be interesting if they go that road with the new Doctor..

Quote Originally Posted by Faifel View Post
    Reality disagrees with you.
    Well - not sure what reality you live in, but I'm referring to the one that Doctor Who started in, around 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Wasn't needlessly, obviously people didn't get the context of a Doctor Who post in a Doctor who forum - simple matter of enlightening that person.

Well - Destroying is a bit light, butchering it and burying it more accurate.

Imagine if we got to Kil'Jaden in WoW and he was a gnome ....
    Or Lord of the Rings made Gandalf a horse in the movies...
    Or Game of Thrones made Hodor a little girl.

You can't just uproot the core of a TV show that is 50+ years old without destroying it.
    Those examples are reeeeally bad. You should fee ashamed how bad they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Try taking your own advice.

As someone else said, the Doctor has always been a surrogate grandfather/father/older brother figure. Now that's gone. Some people might be upset with that.

And even Peter Davison said he didn't think it was a good idea. Not because "OMG wominz!!!!!!!1", but because the show has built up a premise (especially lately) of the Doctor being more vulnerable and sensitive, while the female companion is strong and solid. Now reverse those roles. The first time she gets upset to the point of tears about something, the male side of the idiot fringe is going to come out full-force with the period/hormone jokes, while the female side will be just as strong with the "can't write a woman as anything but a weeping, weak little girl, waiting for the men to come rescue her" refrain.
    Older brother or grandfather? Make your mind up. Even according to your own post the Doctor has fulfilled different roles. Now the Doctor will play another role.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Those examples are reeeeally bad. You should fee ashamed how bad they are.
    I'm not the one killing off a franchise by making the bad choice... don't blame me.

This is the original doctor who, both the original actor and the original unregenerated Doctor Who:

There were a number of suitable female actresses that could have continued making the Doctor male, Tilda Swinton for example.

But not the one they picked. This isn't about who plays the role, but about the character being fundamentally destroyed.
    Tilda Swinton? She's not attractive enough, they need their prepubescent to lonely 30 year old crowd to be interested in the show. Hehehe....Tilda Swinton HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    IMO, the show was already fuck by Capaldi. So why not go down this rabbit hole.
    Nah I 'd blame Clara for his early season problems. BBC shows have a weird habit of getting obsessed with certain characters so much so that the character worship causes them to lose all plot and reason.

It was the same with Billie Piper, it just became the Rose show. They even gave her her own Doctor when she left the show so they could still be together.

Likewise it ended up the Clara show. The doctor ended up joining as a Janitor at the School she worked just so he could get a look in in his own TV show. The doctor was a fucking janitor ffs. When she left, Clara got her own Tardis and went on her own space adventures. They couldn't even let her die.

They've done the same with practically the whole of Sherlock too now. It's pretty wank now and half of it makes little sesnse.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

imposes non TV show standards on commentary
    Now you are just trying too hard. Poking fun at people who are getting mad about this does not in any way indicate that the person somehow doesn't understand the nature of the thread, and you know it. It might satisfy you to assume a knowingly false position of superior insight but it's too obvious and it doesn't do you any favours.

I'm not the one killing off a franchise by making the bad choice... don't blame me.

How is the franchise being destroyed? What does the Doctor do that requires a penis?

Older brother or grandfather? Make your mind up. Even according to your own post the Doctor has fulfilled different roles. Now the Doctor will play another role.
    Yes, older brother or grandfather. The First Doctor was literally someone's grandfather. This is not fiction. Susan was the Doctor's actual granddaughter. Do you deny this fact?

And he was (at least Eccleston's Doctor was) a surrogate father figure to Rose. Of course, the writing for Tennant crapped all over that by making them Mr. and Mrs. Timelord in Space, but that's how it was presented.

But thank you for ignoring the rest of my post.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Yes, older brother or grandfather. The First Doctor was literally someone's grandfather. This is not fiction. Susan was the Doctor's actual granddaughter. Do you deny this fact?

And he was (at least Eccleston's Doctor was) a surrogate father figure to Rose. Of course, the writing for Tennant crapped all over that by making them Mr. and Mrs. Timelord in Space, but that's how it was presented.

But thank you for ignoring the rest of my post.
    And now it's a grandmother / sister whatever. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Tilda Swinton? She's not attractive enough, they need their prepubescent to lonely 30 year old crowd to be interested in the show. Hehehe....Tilda Swinton HA!
    She would have been my first choice for a female Doctor. A brilliant actress who I've had the pleasure of meeting on a couple of occasions through work, many moons ago.

How is the franchise being destroyed? What does the Doctor do that requires a penis?
    What do you do that requires one?

So would you be willing to change your gender?

Or, if you're female, same question.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Faifel View Post
    So am I. He's been more than just an eccentric grandfather figure over the course of those 54 years.
    Nope - he has always, with the possible exception of David Tennant - been 100% eccentric grandfather figure.

Not sure what series you've been watching

Now you are just trying too hard.
    What on earth are you still on about this, you made a mistake - I corrected you. Move on.

Jeez.

I don't think anybody cares, the show isn't going to get killed off from a female doctor.

And now it's a grandmother / sister whatever. So what?
    So, some people don't want that. That's so what. If the Doctor could be female this whole time, why only now? Why didn't it come up at some point in the last fifty years (besides the teases people like John Nathan-Turner used to do).

People (and this may surprise you) sometimes get a little upset when things they've come to enjoy for many years change in such a significant way.