Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Wild Ass theory: Watched plenty/most of Nu Who.....The Doctor is the Valeyard is the Master.
    We knew the first Doctor was going to be in the Christmas special. It would have been wild if they'd had Missy regenerate in to him at the end of the last episode
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Never saw the valeyard episode(s)....is it possible that the doctor does become the valeyard, but then the valeyard goes and becomes the master....as a child and goes up with himself as the doctors best friend. Or the valeyard regenerates into a child, looks into the schism again, and goes full blown nutso.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Deleted
    So the Doctor is bisexual as she/he was married to River Song and has/d a kid :thinking:

I'm lost

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Never saw the valeyard episode(s)....is it possible that the doctor does become the valeyard, but then the valeyard goes and becomes the master....as a child and goes up with himself as the doctors best friend. Or the valeyard regenerates into a child, looks into the schism again, and goes full blown nutso.
    Nah, I saw those episodes when they aired. That really didn't work and is already kinda a paradox. The Valeyard was meant to be a projection of what the Doctor will be between his 12th and Final incarnations. So... basically that would mean between David Tennant and Matt Smith - which clearly didn't happen (or they tried to haphasardly shoe-horn it in on Trenselor when they said one of his nicknames was "Valeyard".)

Also, the Master was in the Valeyard episodes as well. Methinks he would've remembered being him, or the other way around. It was pretty clear they hated eachother and were rivals.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I hinted on Twitter, my personal view is that it's about time a woman was cast but I worry that some dodgy writing will see Whittaker carry the can from the rabid "OMGDOCTORMUZTBMANOMG" crowd... And the writing has been a problem in recent times. Luckily she's talented enough to pull off whatever's asked, but it might be hard to bed in.

But it had to happen eventually, and I'm glad they chose Jodie Whittaker. The taboo is now largely broken, no matter what, and that's epic.

Oh, and on the Valeyard point... My sister often mused that the 10th human regeneration (Tennant's character in a parallel universe) would go on to become the Valeyard. I tend to lean that way, too.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Not an interpretation.... apart from the David Tennant bit.

You may be misunderstanding what grandfather figure means - it doesn't mean a dude is old.
    11 seemed like a kid to me not grandfatherly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    As I hinted on Twitter, my personal view is that it's about time a woman was cast but I worry that some dodgy writing will see Whittaker carry the can from the rabid "OMGDOCTORMUZTBMANOMG" crowd... And the writing has been a problem in recent times. Luckily she's talented enough to pull off whatever's asked, but it might be hard to bed in.

But it had to happen eventually, and I'm glad they chose Jodie Whittaker. The taboo is now largely broken, no matter what, and that's epic.
    Yupyup! As I wrote above, when I first saw Matt Smith revealed I was like "OMG... it's a fucking emo kid! What the hell!". Then I saw him in costume, then saw him performed. And now, he's one of my favorite Doctors! ^_^

Now, can this new writer do her justice? THAT is the challenge! For what it's worth, it's starting to look like what she was wearing in the reveal might ACTUALLY be her outfit! BBC apparently just tweeted some simple art of her wearing the same thing.

Oh, and on the Valeyard point... My sister often mused that the 10th human regeneration (Tennant's character in a parallel universe) would go on to become the Valeyard. I tend to lean that way, too.
    Ooooh! I kina LOVE that theory! =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Yupyup! As I wrote above, when I first saw Matt Smith revealed I was like "OMG... it's a fucking emo kid! What the hell!". Then I saw him in costume, then saw him performed. And now, he's one of my favorite Doctors! ^_^
    It's funny, I could never really get into Smith. It sounds stupid, but I never felt the Doctor should be someone whose ass I could kick - but he broke through in America in ways no prior Doctor could, and that garners respect. I think the jump to Capaldi, a far more accomplished actor overall, was a bit too jarring for a lot of fans because it was a real pendulum swing that made Capaldi harder for the new fans to get used to.

And I'm happy with Whittaker because I'm pretty sure she could kick my ass, hoho.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Now, can this new writer do her justice? THAT is the challenge! For what it's worth, it's starting to look like what she was wearing in the reveal might ACTUALLY be her outfit! BBC apparently just tweeted some simple art of her wearing the same thing.
    I think that's the costume she regenerates into. I don't think that'll be her costume.

They've done it now. They've bitten the bullet, and cast a woman. That's a whole new pallet to work with, in my view, so a Capaldi hoodie would be a real let down.

They better not fuck it up like Ghostbusters did.

95% of the people happy with this are blue haired, pierced faced, crazed woman-supremacists who are more happy at the "male outcry" than the actual casting.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

It's funny, I could never really get into Smith. It sounds stupid, but I never felt the Doctor should be someone whose ass I could kick - but he broke through in America in ways no prior Doctor could, and that garners respect. I think the jump to Capaldi, a far more accomplished actor overall, was a bit too jarring for a lot of fans because it was a real pendulum swing that made Capaldi harder for the new fans to get used to.

And I'm happy with Whittaker because I'm pretty sure she could kick my ass, hoho.
    Never saw her in anything (and not sure if I want to now!) so I have no idea what to expect of her.

What you mention of Capaldi here is actually IMO more key than you think! I believe the problem with Capaldi wasn't the casting of him as being an older Doctor - but, again, writing him for the first season to be a complete insensitive jackass is where they dropped the ball on him! He wasn't just physically different than the Doctor - he was MENTALLY different than the Doctor! He wasn't fun at all in his first season. Wasn't witty or fun or sensetive. Shit, he even HATED hugging in Season 1! THAT is where he went off the rails... While they definitely fixed him in his second and third seasons... by that time the damage was sadly already done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuous View Post
    Now, I've watched this a lot of times, but it's the first time I noticed the "He was never cruel and never cowardly" description about the doctor, that was brought back in Day of the Doctor.

Oh Moffat, you evil genius.

I'm only disappointed because it was too blatantly telegraphed and way too much "girl powerz!" from this last season, doubly so with the existence of Missy. It would have been better if he had regenerated into a woman and it was wholly unexpected, or at least feeling a little more unique versus copying the Master's last regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by ThanksForTheMemories View Post
    95% of the people happy with this are blue haired, pierced faced, crazed woman-supremacists who are more happy at the "male outcry" than the actual casting.
    Calm down, Buzzy McBuzzwordface

i was always against a female doctor because i just didnt think it fit with his character but after watching the reveal... fuck it lets go.

she won me over with that look she gave the tardis, that look of awe and love.

- - - Updated - - -

also i havent watched the finale yet
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    I'm only disappointed because it was too blatantly telegraphed and way too much "girl powerz!" from this last season, doubly so with the existence of Missy. It would have been better if he had regenerated into a woman and it was wholly unexpected, or at least feeling a little more unique versus copying the Master's last regeneration.
    Yeah I hope they come up with a real good reason why he decided to gender swap. Plus the Doctor is known throughout time and space and yet no one has ever been like "Oh you're the Doctor? I always heard the Doctor was a woman?" They coulda had at least one or two people in earlier seasons mention something like that to foreshadow but also set up a plausible universe where there is a female version of the doctor that isn't apparently forgotten as soon as she regenerates back into a man.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThanksForTheMemories View Post
    or people who don't really care if the doctor is a woman. i mean 11th was my favorite and hes gone so why does it really matter if it goes to a man or a woman i probably wont like as much any way?

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    or people who don't really care if the doctor is a woman. i mean 11th was my favorite and hes gone so why does it really matter if it goes to a man or a woman i probably wont like as much any way?
    If you don't care then you're not in the "people who are happy with this" camp
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.