Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The 110 seems high, but considering you get a free boost with the expansion and the fact that 1 - 110 takes far, FAR less time than 1 - 60 did back when this game came out, it's fine.

Yes, it seems like a lot, but it really isn't. When you can get in and easily knock out a few levels in an hour early on, you realize just how much 110 isn't hard to achieve.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling's like the easiest part of the game. Sure, 110 seems like a lot but it's not that hard.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not when they can start at 100, no.

when someone hears "Yeah, so, to get to the main chunk of the game you gotta level up 110 times before you can start to do the same content as everyone else"
    Then they are being lied to.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    They're probably more turned off by the outdated levelling zones.

WoW is miles behind other MMO's when it comes to levelling, they need to keep revamping every few years to keep things fresh.
    They did that with Cataclysm and look at what happened. The problem Blizz has, is the games just full of people who bitch about everything, especially if zones get changed.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hmmm...I get what you say about the boosts - even as a veteran I don't use them. On the other hand, when I am new to a game, I want to experience all the zones, the stories, the world.

Well..you could probably do that by halving levels...so 55 or 60 is the new 110. But you do that because people are scared of numbers? And the next problem is...what does it do to us others, who now are not lv 110, but lv 60...juuust like we were in 2005
    Not the best solution. I agree. But I can see how players might be put off by big numbers. It gives the impression of a slow, grindy game.
    Still don't agree with squishing the level cap but there it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    They did that with Cataclysm and look at what happened. The problem Blizz has, is the games just full of people who bitch about everything, especially if zones get changed.
    People will complain no matter what. Blizzard needs to keep the game fresh to bring in new blood.

I don't think it's a problem and would be extremely annoyed if they ever did a "level squish". Just make them shorter.

Yes. It's too high.

That's only half the problem though. The biggest problem is that the game is just old. Everyone you run into is someone's 5th alt that they're either grinding to max level or just mucking about with until raid starts. Other than the person that referred them, there's really no one for them to play with. The game may not start at max level, but it DOES start at the current expansion.

Really, I think the game's at the point where the entire leveling experience needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. My suggestion would be something like cut all but the most recent expansion or two out of the leveling path entirely and rebalance everything else to compensate.

In other words, the leveling path becomes something like 1-50 Old World leveling, 50-60 WoD leveling, 60-70 Legion leveling. Outland, Northrend, Pandaria, etc. all become additional 50-60 zones or scaling zones of some sort. Maybe throw in a few extra quest chains that act as a summary of the story up 'till now.

The level is not the problem. What is? Its the mindnumbingly boring leveling process. These new players will push a button and mob dies. You will do this with just quest reward gear. I know because I dont like heirlooms and I level my alts without heirlooms or dungeons. The small storylines in zones, ect. would be far more interesting to a new player, if they didnt overgear and possibly over level it simply by going from zone to zone like a new player would do. Older players know where to go from experience and optimize, but new player dont. Still it doesnt matter.
    Another thing is dungeons. New player goes to a dungeon. They see people run off and dont understand what is happening. Then they get kicked for low dps.

Any option a new player (or even old player) has for leveling is... well... boring and at worst extremely bad experience.

If blizz would just adjust the leveling a bit, it would be far better.
    Last edited by Morae; 2017-07-16 at 06:21 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    That is why Legion comes with a level 100 boost and all the content, including professions, requires nothing beforehand to enjoy everything it has to offer.

On the other hand the old world is dated by all standards - but it is optional, so I can't see it as a reason for anyone new not to be able to play current content.

I started playing WoW with the release of Cataclysm and leveling my character was the most awesome thing because the world was so huge and you always found something new to laugh about etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zoolmod View Post
    Recently i've tried getting both my girlfriend, and 2 other IRL friends, all of which are into games, to start WoW. Only my GF made it to level 110. All 3 however were incredibly put off by the idea of levelling through 110 levels. Now, as a regular player, we know it doesnt take that long. But when someone hears "Yeah, so, to get to the main chunk of the game you gotta level up 110 times before you can start to do the same content as everyone else" the general reply is to complain about how ridiculous that is. Its got me thinking of how many potential new players WoW is losing simply from the idea that levelling so much is gonna take an incredible amount of effort and time. Im not saying WoW is doomed, based on experiences in game, it feels pretty healthy and highly populated, but is it time blizzard decided to do a level squish of sorts? I'm not even personally sure how they would do this, but surely it would make the game more attractive to potential new players?
    Maybe they should include some kind of feature that allows new players to skip the majority of the leveling process...oh wait
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    They're probably more turned off by the outdated levelling zones.

WoW is miles behind other MMO's when it comes to levelling, they need to keep revamping every few years to keep things fresh.
    if you're referring to zones graphics and atmosphere I can't disagree more, if you mean gameplay/system, perhaps

15+ Year Old Account
    Recently i've tried getting both my girlfriend, and 2 other IRL friends, all of which are into games, to start WoW. Only my GF made it to level 110. All 3 however were incredibly put off by the idea of levelling through 110 levels. Now, as a regular player, we know it doesnt take that long. But when someone hears "Yeah, so, to get to the main chunk of the game you gotta level up 110 times before you can start to do the same content as everyone else" the general reply is to complain about how ridiculous that is. Its got me thinking of how many potential new players WoW is losing simply from the idea that levelling so much is gonna take an incredible amount of effort and time. Im not saying WoW is doomed, based on experiences in game, it feels pretty healthy and highly populated, but is it time blizzard decided to do a level squish of sorts? I'm not even personally sure how they would do this, but surely it would make the game more attractive to potential new players?
    A new player would have a boost to 100 when you purchase Legion so you really only have 100-110. I don't know anyone who would be starting at level one unless it was by choice.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    if you're referring to zones graphics and atmosphere I can't disagree more, if you mean gameplay/system, perhaps
    I meant more along the lines of content and quests within those zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the one mistake you made is in telling them that the game really starts at 110. For the 3 people I have brought in to the game since WoD, I just started a new toon of my own and played the leveling game with them. To them leveling, gaining profession progress, and earning achievements was the game until they hit max level. Once we made it there I started introducing them to the end game concepts that they would need.

If you try another RaF I would suggest you do the same, this may help with burnout and give them something you and I take for granted now, the magical journey through the world and all the adventurers (Some intended and some not) we have doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    That is why Legion comes with a level 100 boost and all the content, including professions, requires nothing beforehand to enjoy everything it has to offer.

On the other hand the old world is dated by all standards - but it is optional, so I can't see it as a reason for anyone new not to be able to play current content.
    Professions are only if you boost a character over level 60.

No.

If people are daunted by the concept of leveling, then they're probably not MMO-players.

When I was new, there were 80 levels. I saw that as 80 levels of adventure, and didn't feel daunted. If this doesn't hold true for others, then there are games out there where leveling ain't a factor.

That being said, 1-60 needs to be revamped and made 1-Max level, using scaling tech, modern storyline delivery, bonus objectives etc etc. Make it possible to just level through adventuring, with every zone always being relevant. Legion did this amazingly, time they bring it to the old content.

It is for sure. Leveling needs a major rebalance.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

it took longer to hit 45 in classic then it takes to get a character to 110 now, the level isn't the problem, its wow's reset every expansion philosophy over a decade worth of content, making any thing pre expansion essentially useless.

7+ Year Old Account
    My favorite part of any MMO I played was leveling and developing my first character while at the same time exploring a new, virtual, world. I wish WoW had had 110 levels when I first started playing.

Deleted
    Don't you get a free lvl 100 character if you buy the game?

Either way, the leveling in this game is seriously fast... compare that to FFXIV for example, where you basically (and I know this isn't 100% true @ ffxiv players - but it's as close as it gets in WoW's context) have to do half of the old raids before you can advance to the addon.

I don't think it's much of a problem, I'm not a fan of leveling in WoW, because the game isn't designed with a great leveling experience in mind imho, or rather, leveling is just a miniscule part of the game - which is why you can rush through it relatively fast.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-07-16 at 08:10 PM.