Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by ThanksForTheMemories View Post
    I can call exact lines and scenarios from the episodes without even trying

*victorian england*
    *Evil Patriarchal Man enters*
    Evil Male: I have a problem
    The Doctor: Have no fear patriarchal overlord. I'm the Doctor. Last of the Timelords. I'm three thousand years old and through my new found femininity I will save you, through the power of compassion and womanhood
    Evil Male: Ho ho ho. You can't help. You're a WOMAN.
    The Doctor: How very dare you sir. I'll have you know that *insert 5-8 minutes of pointless rambling, likely written by Immitis*

-20minutes later-

Evil Man: Wow Doctor, you totally saved me. You're right, women are so strong! As strong as men! Maybe even STRONGER!

This shit writes itself lmao give me money BBC
    Is this a satirical attempt to write like a 12 year old that has never had any meaningful interaction with real women? Because if it is, well done, it's very convincing.

If it's a reflection of your actual state of mind, all I can say is "wow".

There are only two important things about the next series of Doctor Who, with the new Doctor; the quality of the acting, and the quality of the writing. Personally I'm looking forward to something a little different, and I'm hopeful I will be impressed. I can't imagine how anyone could be so insecure that they can feel threatened or angry because of this. But this thread seems to prove me wrong.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    C'mon - both you and I know the difference lies in the name of Wonder Woman. Hell, it's an intrinsic part of her character, origin and her entire home of Themascera.

Is the Doctor being a man really an intrinsic part of the character? Really?? Really???
    It really shouldn't happend to any character with history, no matter gender. People would be just as pissed off if Jaime Bond suddenly became 007. Characters with a set story should not be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Is this a satirical attempt to write like a 12 year old that has never had any meaningful interaction with real women? Because if it is, well done, it's very convincing.
    Mate I'm literally taking concepts from the season you JUST watched.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Again, I'm not sure it was always the case, but isn't the Doctor not even human in the first place ?

(But look exactly like humans, yeah, it's a given)
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2017-07-16 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faifel View Post
    Or they will simply write a character that is The Doctor while others deal with their reactions to the change.... you know, the way they deal with pretty much every regen.
    Yeah, right. Remember when the Doctor shot the General, and he regenerated into a woman? What was her first line? Something like "Thank goodness that horror is over". Think we would have had a line like that if it were a woman becoming a man? In this day and age, I have no faith at all in the Doctor Who writing team.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Watched 4 people get publicly fired by their employers for their rants on Facebook. The amount of absurdity people are spewing over this is laughable but disgusting.
    pictures please
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    you mean like how 12s entire series arc was about how he was a grumpy old man

"It's literally impossible for an iconic male character to be remade into a female character. Soorry [sic] just doesn't work."

Yeah, because Dirk Benedict's Starbuck was such an iconic character in the minds of the entire populace. I'd bet when they announced that Starbuck would be a woman in the new show, half the people who raised a fuss had to go back and look up who it was.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Mate I'm literally taking concepts from the season you JUST watched.
    there was like one fucking episode where someone comments about bill and that was mostly about her being black
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshiIsu View Post
    Hey, if she wants to become a he, there is surgery.

For the doctor, its a matter of a regeneration. We know timelords can change gender...master/missy.....so the question is, why are you upset about it?
    I never stated I did. I simply stated a fact.

On that note though, changing it for the sake of diversity is 100% wrong, and it that is the reason, it is fucking stupid. if it has a good story, and most importantly not acknowledging that the doctor is female every 5 minutes, it is 100% fine and I could not care less.

I'm not the most versed person in the Who setting, but isn't the whole concept about aliens masquerading as Humans (and conveniently British looking ones) ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    The term Doctor is gender neutral. Woman is not. That's the difference.
    Superman, superwoman.

granted that happend in late 40s.

If it has a good reason, its completly fine, but current events leads everyone to believe that it is pandering to PC culture, which is just cancer anyway, and will make the show cancer..

Could be fine if they simply have a female doctor, but dont acknowledge that she is female every 5 mins.

there was like one fucking episode where someone comments about bill and that was mostly about her being black
    Bill's sexuality and gender was a part of every single episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Please for the love of christ don't make most of her character built on the fact that she's a woman, the only way people are ever going to stop caring about race and gender is if we stop portraying it in such a major way. I hope she acts like the Doctor, and not the female doctor.
    Tbh, if this was Moffat still in charge I'd be super terrified right now... But Chibnal is a much better writer, so I'm really hoping he'll write the Doctor as the Doctor, not as the first Lady Doctor.

While it's true that there are a number of times and places where the Doctor being a lady would cause a problem, there is also THE REST OF TIME AND SPACE where it wouldn't really matter... So fingers crossed, after an initial episode where it's acknowledged, they'll forget it, and just get on with the show.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    As a newfound truefan, I'll say that people bitch about every new Doctor for whatever reason, and eventually it clicks with the audience. This is no different, and we should be bitching about the gender change, if only for consistency's sake.
    Some idiots want to see something else beyond the usual reaction to a new doctor. Notably people who are not even interested in the show. They're totally irrelevant and should be ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    I see this kind of comment a lot and it never held much water. Its the people that always seem rabidly invested in major changes that proclaim to be the true fans and anyone that feels the changes have gone too far are all fake fans etc.. Then you see sales of marvel comics are really low and are continuing to fall as they continue to push out crappier and crappier product and the supposed "true fans" don't seem to notice or care. You quickly realize the fans real or fake are not buying no matter how obsessed with random change and poor writing some people are.

Dr. Who is going to end up the same way. While a female Doctor could potentially be interesting I expect most of the first season will be spent preaching and scolding instead of telling enjoyable stories that people actually want to see. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the first season they lose half of their normal viewership. It would be nice if they actually do a good job with it all, but I have little hope that will actually happen.
    I hope you enjoyed your rant that had nothing at all to do with my post?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Superman, superwoman.

granted that happend in late 40s.

If it has a good reason, its completly fine, but current events leads everyone to believe that it is pandering to PC culture, which is just cancer anyway, and will make the show cancer..

Could be fine if they simply have a female doctor, but dont acknowledge that she is female every 5 mins.
    Yeah, that would fuck it up. I hope the new writer is smart enough to keep the obvious contemporary allegories to a minimum.

just to clarify something. gallifrean time lords regenerating into either sex has been canon since the 70ties. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Corsair read the part about 4th and arguably the most beloved doctor, talking about Corsair with Romana II. and before anyone says anything about "oh its just a book" they are 1. still canon. and 2. that particular book was supposed to be an episode that they simply didn't get to complete due to circumstances outside of their control.

just saying.

Bill's sexuality and gender was a part of every single episode.
    she occasionally had to tell people she doesnt fuck men, something actual lesbians have to do all the time. thats called being realistic

Deleted
    she occasionally had to tell people she doesnt fuck men, something actual lesbians have to do all the time. thats called being realistic
    In a show about a space alien with two hearts and a spaceship that travels through time and is bigger on the inside.
    Big priority realism.

Hope the new Doctor can pull it off, will need a good script.

>being realistic
    >show is literally about time travel

i think the virtue signalling from the bbc has got out of hand. okay, she's a lesbian. lets move on. that's how real life works. i don't go into work every day and tell my colleagues i'm gay, and i certainly don't start every conversation with "hi, my name is <> im gay" ... it's fucking stupid.

i am okay with this though, so long as every episode isnt "FIGHT THE PATRIARCHY", "WOMEN > MEN" and "HI IM A WOMAN".