Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Yes you do.
    No, you don't.

Again when a Government official or entity uses a private website/server to conduct official business they are still bound by all laws.
    Yes, they are. But the policies and platform of the service provider take precedence.

They still have to allow freedom of speech and can't censor things just because they don't like it.
    They don't have to allow or disallow anything because you don't have a right to free speech on a private platform. Period.

They have to retain all records of their business because it is considered public record despite being on a privately owned service.
    Not relevant.

The difference you are failing to grasp is that the Twitter terms of service do not have to follow freedom of speech.
    The difference you're failing to grasp is that the policies of the service provider take precedence. If the company wants to allow anyone to block anyone, they can. No one, regardless of status, can "violate" someone's freedom of speech if that provider does not guarantee it. That's how that actually works.

The President comments when made on Twitter are considered public record.
    Irrelevant.

The government and courts have already deemed that private platforms are public forums when used by government officials for official business.
    Neither governments nor courts can dictate what is or isn't a "public forum" on private servers. This right is exclusive to the service provider/owner.

Twitter is independent from the Government. Why do you think they have a say in this? The highest office in the United States has stated that his account is official and that has made it a public forum. It doesn't matter if Twitter owns the tweets. They are still retained as a matter of public record and the official archivist determines after the term is up what is safe to be discarded and what is protected under the law.

The Trump administration still has to honor FOIA requests for any tweets he has made. Even those he has deleted. If they do not then they are breaking the law.
    Also irrelevant.

As far as those links go, it seems even courts don't understand how the Constitution works. Since we're posting links, though:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/no...rticle/2628332
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...locking-tweets

Twitter is not a "public forum". It's a limited-character "blog". It's his account, not the "people's". He can block, delete, etc, all he wants. He can even disable comments altogether, should he choose. People need to learn how the first amendment and words contained within actually work rather than getting bent out of shape over getting blocked because of something stupid they say on a platform for imbeciles.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-07-17 at 02:39 AM.

I want access to Area 51 then and Groom Lake if the court rules against the government!

It's his personal twitter account that he's had before he was president. He can block whomever he wants. That's not the official POTUS account.

Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    It's his personal twitter account that he's had before he was president. He can block whomever he wants. That's not the official POTUS account.
    He is suppose to use the official account but the Orange Turd wants to use his personal account because he know it is for branding. Again, the Orange Turd is like a 10 year old kid.

Edit: Oh yeah they claimed that his is official voice. In the end I really don't give a fuck about the Turd's twitter account.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2017-07-17 at 02:56 AM.

Except Trump and his own staff have said that his personal twitter is official communication from the president so it becomes an official government form of communication to the public. He can't block that to the public it doesn't matter if he had it before the presidency he and his staff have made it an official presidential twitter. We will have to wait for a court to decide but this will probably be a situation that Trump and his administration's own words are going to be used against him on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post

As far as those links go, it seems even courts don't understand how the Constitution works. Since we're posting links, though:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/no...rticle/2628332
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...locking-tweets

Twitter is not a "public forum". It's a limited-character "blog". It's his account, not the "people's". He can block, delete, etc, all he wants. He can even disable comments altogether, should he choose. People need to learn how the first amendment and words contained within actually work rather than getting bent out of shape over getting blocked because of something stupid they say on a platform for imbeciles.
    The WH has been using Twitter as a public platform. POTUS has been using Twitter as a public platform, in the POTUS account and Trumps account. Courts, use Twitter has public platform in proceedings.

What I foresee in the future is a ruling that ties accounts held by public officials on any platform, making public statements on said platform, as public statements. The only other opinion for them is for them is to enter platforms such as Twitter (portions of) into the public realm. Since the WH has said (whatever Trump's handle is) are official statements, we're pretty much there regardless of an official statement from federal courts.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Except Trump and his own staff have said that his personal twitter is official communication from the president so it becomes an official government form of communication to the public. He can't block that to the public it doesn't matter if he had it before the presidency he and his staff have made it an official presidential twitter. We will have to wait for a court to decide but this will probably be a situation that Trump and his administration's own words are going to be used against him on this.
    It doesn't matter. It's still his personal account. You only made it official by paying attention to it in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue is what he and his staff says are official statements. They've been calling his tweets official statements. My take is that tweets once sworn in and until the next POTUS should be considered official statements.

POTUS doesn't have much privacy as far as current ruling go. If he wants private conversations on Twitter then it has to be through DMs.

I wish for SCOTUS to define open tweets as public property. Maybe after x date for those before the ruling but if you're posting something for all of twitter to see then it should be ruled as a public declaratio with provisions for private citizens to ban as they choose.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-07-17 at 03:02 AM.

Weird, where's Endus? Why isn't he arguing with people about how Trump has every right to block people on a private platform like Twitter? He always loves to argue about how free speech isn't about people being able to say whatever they want, wherever they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

LOL!!! You have a right to free speech....you do not have the right to make someone listen to you. Besides Twitter is a private company who allows blocking users. They need to sue twitter.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    LOL!!! You have a right to free speech....you do not have the right to make someone listen to you. Besides Twitter is a private company who allows blocking users. They need to sue twitter.
    The platform used to issue a public statement is unique to this time. 60 years ago if POTUS made a public declaration on private property then it was still a public declaration POTUS is making public declarations via a private platform? Is there a real difference from a legal standpoint is what courts will decide.

People are simply upset they are unable to make comments on Twitter it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    All this effort to try and convince people you are right. It really comes down to one sentence. The courts will decide the merit of the plaintiff suit.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    He can't block that to the public it doesn't matter if he had it before the presidency he and his staff have made it an official presidential twitter.
    You can still view them, much like you would view the messages on a TV.

This is just your typical american whining on the internet because you have nothing else to do with your lives. That's all you seem to be good for anymore.

Is twitter now an official govt. service?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    IMO, only my personal opinion.

If trump wants to block someone on his personal twitter that is perfectly fine, but the official POTUS one should not block anyone. If Trump is truly using these as way to communicate with Americans and not using the traditional media then blocking Americans from reading what he saying seems to go against the POTUS representing all Americans even those who disagrees with him.
    You know, this is fascinating at a closer look, actually.

The President now has the power to make sure some people never get to hear what he's telling everyone else.

On a standard level, and we're talking being a body in the white house, it actually makes sense and is understandable and necessary.

But on a mass media level, for which this is the precedent, it's kind of cruel and unusual punishment to forbid certain citizens, who are no doubt genuine citizens, from hearing a speech or the content of the speech of any Presidential Address to the very same citizens.

On a more complicated level, imagine if the government's level of choice allowed them to make sure everyone got a censored speech, and what "Citizen Rank" you were determined which parts of that speech were censored and which were allowed?

"Today, the President gives every Citizen a Two Paragraph Speech. It's rumored that higher quality citizens received an extra 48 paragraphs, and the top level Citizens nobody knows received 120 paragraphs within the same speech, apparently filled with details about new coming laws of our lands..."

I can see why this might be a legitimate lawsuit and am excited to watch!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Regardless of whether they're wrong or right that's not even close to the same thing. Try again. This time come up with a comparison that isn't total shit.
    It's perfect, because here's the part 2.

You then approach the group and start commenting on what you happen to have heard from their conversation and have much to say about. They ask you to leave, you ignore them because it's your right especially in a public place. They ask you to leave again, you refuse. They call cops and you get arrested for harassment.

Clearly unconstitutional.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    "Today, the President gives every Citizen a Two Paragraph Speech. It's rumored that higher quality citizens received an extra 48 paragraphs, and the top level Citizens nobody knows received 120 paragraphs within the same speech, apparently filled with details about new coming laws of our lands..."

That's bullshit.

Did everyone attend POTUS press conferences in the past? No!
    Did everyone have access to what POTUS have said? Yes!
    Is twitter case the same? Yes!
    Next argument.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I agree with them, but I think that the violation of the 1st amendment extends also to attempts to block cyber-bullying, racism, fat-shaming etc. So long as they're cool with that, someone hand me a petition to sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Social media was a mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    You know, this is fascinating at a closer look, actually.

The President now has the power to make sure some people never get to hear what he's telling everyone else.

On a standard level, and we're talking being a body in the white house, it actually makes sense and is understandable and necessary.

But on a mass media level, for which this is the precedent, it's kind of cruel and unusual punishment to forbid certain citizens, who are no doubt genuine citizens, from hearing a speech or the content of the speech of any Presidential Address to the very same citizens.

On a more complicated level, imagine if the government's level of choice allowed them to make sure everyone got a censored speech, and what "Citizen Rank" you were determined which parts of that speech were censored and which were allowed?

Actually, they aren't prevented from hearing him. At best its akin to being banned on the forum here... you can log in... you just cant post.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.