Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    WA gives around .87-89 per federal dollar spent, so...no.

And who knows, maybe Seattle simply needs the money because it spends all of it trying to prop up Eastern Washington.

- - - Updated - - -

They can. It's called leaving.

So...with society, then.
    Last numbers I saw had Washington getting back a little over $1 for every $1 spent.
    Seattle needs the money because it needs to build a shit ton more roads, I will give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It's pretty outlandish to think that your personal research into the food you eat puts you on an equal level to the FDA.
    I never said it was, did I? You are trying to argue against something I didn't even say. I'm willing to assume risks, and that should be my choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Fine, then charge me for the services I used, let me know the exact total. Now you are trying to imply that I want anything for free, you are being disingenuous. I am willing to pay for anything I choose to use, I simply do not wish to be charged for the things I do not use, or do not wish to use.
    You can't put an exact value on nonexclusive public goods like....fire service coverage, or military protection. Or hell, even infrastructure considering that it's not a matter of how much you personally drive.

There is very little that the government does that you don't derive at least incidental benefit from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I never said it was, did I? You are trying to argue against something I didn't even say. I'm willing to assume risks, and that should be my choice.
    But you're asking for everyone else to assume them with you.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

* Buy all the gold and precious metals, at any cost.

* Secure purchased precious metals on our soil behind our best defenses, in intricately secure stations, possibly even confidential ones.

* Declare all money of no value.

* Print new money that has value backed by precious metals. Actually trade precious metals on occasion to restore consumer confidence.

* Buy world, everyone not on our soil serves us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    -anyone working full time (35/h a week in France) should be able to afford a decent life on his own
    But... why ? You think that anyone working any job, no matter how meaningless, should be making enough money to live comfortably ? That's not how the world works.

What you can try to do is give everyone an equal start in life by providing education. But some people will always choose to be on the bottom of society and they will always stay there.

Deleted
    • The more money you make, the more money you pay in to the society you live in. You don't need billions.

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    In regards to your max wage, do you think it's fair for somebody to no longer receive annual merit raises just because they are already making 20 times what the new entry level guy gets paid on their first day?
    do you need to earn more than $200 an hour? assuming the lowest wage is $10 per hour?
    God and maths? Hmm, the letter to alpha relation would be 7 - 15 - 4. Since it's all one word, it's safe to assume it's multiplication so it'd be 7*15*4=420. So realistically, god is related to cannabis? Perhaps that's what they were expecting you to write.

Quote Originally Posted by almaderp View Post
    do you need to earn more than $200 an hour? assuming the lowest wage is $10 per hour?
    What if I want to change the world by inventing a new product that is going to cost millions to develop ? Do you think $200 an hour is enough for that ?

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    What if I want to change the world by inventing a new product that is going to cost millions to develop ? Do you think $200 an hour is enough for that ?
    In that situation it seems that the better solution would be to put more money into the development of the new product...rather than simply increasing your own wages.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

In that situation it seems that the better solution would be to put more money into the development of the new product...rather than simply increasing your own wages.
    But I'm not the owner of the company, I want to develop it with my own money...
    Like it or not, some people need to have billions because they think bigger than the average worker that is making $10 an hour.

But I'm not the owner of the company, I want to develop it with my own money...
    Like it or not, some people need to have billions because they think bigger than the average worker that is making $10 an hour.
    What company are you working for that you personally make 20x as much as the lowest paid guy?

And no...you don't need to personally have billions of dollars because you "think bigger"

What company are you working for that you personally make 20x as much as the lowest paid guy?

And no...you don't need to personally have billions of dollars because you "think bigger"
    I don't. Other people do. If you want to crush these people, the entire economy will collapse, because all innovation relies on them. The average worker making $10 an hour does nothing to change the world.

Deleted
    I don't. Other people do. If you want to crush these people, the entire economy will collapse, because all innovation relies on them. The average worker making $10 an hour does nothing to change the world.
    are you aware of things like loans and investors? virtually nobody starts a big business with their own money.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    are you aware of things like loans and investors?
    But if the wage of everyone is limited by that x20 rule, then nobody will have the money to invest. It's almost like you don't think about what you are suggesting.
    Again, do you think that the wage of Bill Gates should be 20 times the wage of the person who cleans the toilets at Microsoft ? Why ?

Deleted
    The idea that all innovation relies on showering people with cash at any given oppurtunity is one of the most egregious and baseless myths going.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    The idea that all innovation relies on showering people with cash at any given oppurtunity is one of the most egregious and baseless myths going.
    No, it relies on people who have money.
    Let's say you're running a $100 billion corporation. The owners of the corporation make billions, but you can't, because you have to make $200 an hour due to the x20 policy. Why exactly ? How is that fair ?

Deleted
    But if the wage of everyone is limited by that x20 rule, then nobody will have the money to invest. It's almost like you don't think about what you are suggesting.
    Again, do you think that the wage of Bill Gates should be 20 times the wage of the person who cleans the toilets at Microsoft ? Why ?
    honestly? cause it'll give them a proper incentive to take proper care of their employees. They want to get extremely rich? do it with your people not at their expense. You can debate whether the number should be 20 or 30 or 100, but in principle such a rule would benefit society as a whole.

and please lets not pretend bill gates paid himself 100x more then his employees when microsoft was a startup. this would only affect established companies. lets also not pretend bill gates started microsoft thinking "if i dont make at least $100 billion of this for my own pockets, why even bother?"
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-07-17 at 09:07 AM.

a) Nobody gets "crushed" making only 20X as much as the lowest paid person in the company. Only the top 1% of people even make enough money for that to even be a possibility.
    b) The economy won't collapse...likely the opposite would occur. It's the middle class that drives the economy...not the ultra rich.
    c) Innovation does not rely solely on billionaires.
    d) Lots of innovators were low paid wage slaves when they came up with their innovations.

Deleted
    Im guessing the people asking for UBI just want to smoke weed and play video games all day. Its going to be needed at some point, but that point is at least a generation or two away.