Quote Originally Posted by Sir Happy View Post
    AND is capable of getting it into every single one of their drinks with no one realising?
    It was shown clearly that all the Ale came from the flasks that just got brought in to make the toast, thus being poisoned beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Coeryn View Post
    For the average fanboy sure, but from a critical script / storytelling perspective it is a flaw.
    So everything that happened on the show before and will happen in the future has to be set up beforehand otherwise its flawed storytelling?
    Think that would make it kinda dull..

10+ Year Old Account
    i hated ed sheeran in the ep. it was distracting.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i hated ed sheeran in the ep. it was distracting.
    Agreed.
    I don't mind a cameo or 2 but not in the first episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the average fanboy sure, but from a critical script / storytelling perspective it is a flaw.
    How is it a flaw. time has passed and we saw the end result. i dont need to see 10mins of her walking around a supermarket as walder looking for poison because that would be boring.

from a storytelling perspective it was a satisfying conclusion to the frey's. so i odnt know what ur on abt
    Hi

There's been a few cameo's of certain musical celebs but not as obvious as Sheeran's was. I don't mind it, i find it pretty cool to spot them.

If that's the case then that should've been set up as a fact earlier on; anything else is sloppy writing.

Fanboy to the rescue. Not hatred for D&D but there's no understating that they have done mistakes; look at Dorne.

Arya does not have experience with poison, does she? SHe knows how to use it, but not where to find it etc? THat should've also been set up earlier to have maximum payoff for the Frey poisoning. Sloppy.
    You can have grievances with the show, but in this case there is nothing wrong with the writing. Calling me a fanboy just because i disagree with you shows how blinded you are

She is posing as the lord of the castle. All she has to do order the castles drugs/poisons brought to her by the Maester the Maester would even tell her which ones do what, Essence of Nightshade seems to bee a common sleeping aide, that can be used as a poison in high dosses for insistence, a high does being 10 drops. Remember she had 14 days to plan this, were they supposed to show her sending out invitations to all the Frey's as well?
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2017-07-17 at 08:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    You can have grievances with the show, but in this case there is nothing wrong with the writing. Calling me a fanboy just because i disagree with you shows how blinded you are

She is posing as the lord of the castle. All she has to do order the castles drugs/poisons brought to her by the Maester the Maester would even tell her which ones do what, in what does, Essence of Nightshade seem to bee a common sleeping aide, that can be used as a poison in high dosses for insistence. Rembember she had 14 days to plan this, were they supposed to show her sending out invitations to all the Frey's as well?
    If it doesn't show her licking every singlie envelope, or feeding every single raven, its failed writing!
    Leafcast - <Don't Laugh At My Giraffe> Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Happy View Post
    It was definitely a better first episode than s5 or s6, but it wasn't perfect. The whole Arya in the Twins thing was silly at the end of s6 (she kills an innocent servant for her face? She knows how to mash up corpses and cook them into pies?), and it's still silly now. She has access to enough poison to kill 30-40 people AND is capable of getting it into every single one of their drinks with no one realising? She's a little girl with no experience ruling and is able to convincingly rule the Twins for two weeks and no one realises something is up? It's obviously meant to be a big fuck yeah moment, but I can only suspend my disbelief so much. It was just a little overkill.

Other than that and the ridiculously overt/distracting Ed Sheeran cameo, it was a pretty solid episode. Clegane's scene was fantastic, and so was Dany's landing. I love that Jaime seems to finally be breaking away from Cersei. His facial expressions were perfect in every scene he was in, even if he didn't outright come out and denounce her.
    The poison was poured into the serving pitchers or into the cask and then the serving girls unknowingly poured the poisoned wine into the goblets. All she would need to do is get the Twin's Maester to bring out all is poisons and drugs explain what they do and pick what she wants.

Iirc when Pycelle gives Cersei a bottle of Essence of Nightshade he tells her 10 drops is fatal even when diluted, and it is a common sleep aid something every castle would have.
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2017-07-17 at 08:33 AM.

Deleted
    From a critical standpoint, as unbiased as possible, I do actually have quite a few problems with this opening. The only exception is the Clegane storyline, because that actually pushed both story arc and character arc forward.

For example where did Arya get enough poison for...30~men? Did she just casually harvest it in the river lands? I thought GoT was supposed to be 'realistic' in a fantasy setting, but they're setting up so many climactic scenes for the purpose of giving a bone to the fanbase, which is something I didn't think GRRM would, but then again this is D&D, and as we all know their writing is mediocre in comparison.

If you say this episode was a recap / build up episode then you are simply looking for an excuse. It was OK...Clegane pushed it from a 5/10 to a 7/10
    It looks like the same poison that was used on Joffrey, which is explained in the books to be very potent.

Couple that with the fact that that Wine more than likely came in a cask or two, all it takes is a vial to contaminate it all.

And like the poster above me said, Walder seems like the sort to keep poison around, or atleast tell his Maester to.

Sansa turning into a little bitch - Cersei wanna be. Please just show your tits and promptly die, been hating her guts since her dumb as fuck days from Season 1.

While Ed Sheeran himself was distracting, I otherwise liked the scene he was in. Arya has seen almost no humane side to her enemies, and every time she's encountered a band of Lannister soldiers, they either kidnapped her or fucked with her or had otherwise ill intentions. This group of soldiers were just a decent group of guys trying to keep their head down, survive the war, and return to their families, and maybe in the meantime share a fire and a meal and some laughs with a stranger.

You just knew going in that she was expecting trouble (and as the viewer, so was I). She was sizing them up, counting numbers, figuring out how far their swords were, but when it became clear that they were just a regular, friendly group of guys passing the time, she let her guard down a little and relaxed, maybe finally was able to see what she would otherwise consider enemies as just people. This is probably one of the only scenes in the whole show where everyone was happy, no one was plotting and scheming, and no one got hurt. Hell, how often do you see characters genuinely laughing in this show without a hint of bitterness, sarcasm or irony?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's perfect. Your argumentation though lacks foreshadowing and therefore is flawed.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    While Ed Sheeran himself was distracting, I otherwise liked the scene he was in. Arya has seen almost no humane side to her enemies, and every time she's encountered a band of Lannister soldiers, they either kidnapped her or fucked with her or had otherwise ill intentions. This group of soldiers were just a decent group of guys trying to keep their head down, survive the war, and return to their families, and maybe in the meantime share a fire and a meal and some laughs with a stranger.

You just knew going in that she was expecting trouble (and as the viewer, so was I). She was sizing them up, counting numbers, figuring out how far their swords were, but when it became clear that they were just a regular, friendly group of guys passing the time, she let her guard down a little and relaxed, maybe finally was able to see what she would otherwise consider enemies as just people. This is probably one of the only scenes in the whole show where everyone was happy, no one was plotting and scheming, and no one got hurt. Hell, how often do you see characters genuinely laughing in this show without a hint of bitterness, sarcasm or irony?
    Yep, this scene, together with Clegane were the best parts of this episode. I was honestly expecting these Lannister soldiers to be dead at the end, but you can clearly see now that Arya isn't a mindless killing machine, but can still make choices, good or bad.

How was Ed Sheeran distracting? He was on screen for 10 seconds singing a song from the book. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    How was Ed Sheeran distracting? He was on screen for 10 seconds singing a song from the book. That's it.
    I think he's a little too recognizable for a cameo. But like I said, the scene he was in was otherwise great.

So.... that gift Euron was talking about, betting that it's the dragonbinder?

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I think he's a little too recognizable for a cameo. But like I said, the scene he was in was otherwise great.
    I recognized him. He had not other effect on the scene other than the song. I don't get the complaints, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I hate him, his songs suck and his face is annoying. That's reason enough for me.

His acting skills ruined any atmosphere in (what would be a good scene without him) that scene.

I was surprised how much I liked Euron Greyjoy.

Another great performance from The Hound.

Still got a bad feeling with Sansa and Jon Snow, although she put Littlefinger in his place.

If Brienne gives Tormund what he wants, I'll never speak bad of her again
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2017-07-17 at 10:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty chill episode.

Maybe a Stark reunion next week,with Bran that is.

The person who grabbed Sam's arm - is that Jorah! I thought it sounded like Stannis at first, but then realized the guys arm looked like it was infected, which would be the greyscale. Then he asked about Daenerys.