Upgrade required?

Hi all,

I am having a few FPS issues/general usage and I have to run with very minimal graphics. I dont know a lot about computers but I know my one is pretty old and I have a limited budget. Where would you start when upgrading for playing WoW and CSGO?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    6.0 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465

There's no start. You need a whole new rig. The good news is, you can actually do that pretty cheaply for those specific games. Both run just fine on a G4560 and a 1050ti. So:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.89 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: ASRock - H270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($58.80 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($126.33 @ Amazon)
    Case: Antec - VSK4000E U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $526.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-22 13:43 EDT-0400

You could use the HDD from your current rig if you need more storage, or just use it and drop the SSD completely if you want to save even more, though I highly recommend an SSDif you do not currently have one. Pick up Windows from Kinguin or G2A or something like that for cheap. Re-use monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers and any other peripherals you have/need and/or use a separate budget getting/upgrading for those.

Here's a video of a guy playing CSgo on a G4560 w/ a 1050ti so you can know what performance to expect out of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3fUruCYxo

It will run WoW as good as machines that costs 4 times as much as well, sine the limiting factor in WoW is the engine itself once past a certain hardware point, which this system is well past.

IF your budget is higher than this, even $100-200 more, you could get an even better system. This was meant to be as cheap as possible since your budget simply said "limited budget." That really tells us nothing. One persons limited budget could be $2000 while to another person it's $800.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    There's no start. You need a whole new rig. The good news is, you can actually do that pretty cheaply for those specific games. Both run just fine on a G4560 and a 1050ti. So:

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.89 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: ASRock - H270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($58.80 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($126.33 @ Amazon)
    Case: Antec - VSK4000E U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $526.86
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-22 13:43 EDT-0400

You could use the HDD from your current rig if you need more storage, or just use it and drop the SSD completely if you want to save even more, though I highly recommend an SSDif you do not currently have one. Pick up Windows from Kinguin or G2A or something like that for cheap. Re-use monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers and any other peripherals you have/need and/or use a separate budget getting/upgrading for those.

Here's a video of a guy playing CSgo on a G4560 w/ a 1050ti so you can know what performance to expect out of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3fUruCYxo

It will run WoW as good as machines that costs 4 times as much as well, sine the limiting factor in WoW is the engine itself once past a certain hardware point, which this system is well past.

IF your budget is higher than this, even $100-200 more, you could get an even better system. This was meant to be as cheap as possible since your budget simply said "limited budget." That really tells us nothing. One persons limited budget could be $2000 while to another person it's $800.
    Thank you very much for the information and yes my budget was around $800

Quote Originally Posted by Oxna View Post
    Thank you very much for the information and yes my budget was around $800
    Ok, with $800 we can do a bit more. Do you need a new monitor or peripherals or anything like that as well?

Ok, with $800 we can do a bit more. Do you need a new monitor or peripherals or anything like that as well?
    Nah I have good periphs and a 144hz monitor =D

I think I just need a MOBO, GFX Card and CPU

Nah I have good periphs and a 144hz monitor =D

I think I just need a MOBO, GFX Card and CPU
    Well, you'll need new RAM at the least too, as new CPUs use DDR4 and yours is not DDR4. I generally recommend a new PSU with a new build as well, unless you recently replaced your PSU and it's only 1-2 years old. PSUs degrade over time, so if yours is as old as your CPU, I'd recommend a new one. I also prefer having a new case with a new build, but that's entirely up to you.

Ok, with an $800 budget, here's what I came up with, though I stretched the budget a bit and did not include the cost of Windows from kinguin or anything, so realistically looking at closer to $900. I really feel it is worth it though. This will be a solid system that should last at least 4-6 years.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Video Card ($274.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($41.89 @ Newegg)
    Total: $867.71
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-22 16:30 EDT-0400

As a caveat do not buy that RAM until someone with more Ryzen experience than myself confirms it will work or suggests something better. Maybe @moremana ? I know he has some experience building Ryzens. I'd say @Fascinate but I think he got himself banned again. I'm sure someone will see it and say something though.

You could also probably save a little by switching to a B350 Motherboard. Most people have no problems with them, even OCing, but I felt having the higher quality would be better. As before, you could also drop the SSD if you wanted to, though I do still highly recommend it if you do not currently have one.

Is there someway/somehow I can get all the technical specs of my PC?

15+ Year Old Account

As a caveat do not buy that RAM until someone with more Ryzen experience than myself confirms it will work or suggests something better. Maybe @moremana ? I know he has some experience building Ryzens. .
    The Ripjaws V currently will only run at 2666. Gigabyte does have a newer bios for that board, it is beta but it has the new agesa code so I could be wrong as my motherboard hasnt released the new agesa codes in a bios update yet. The GB Gaming could very well run that memory at its rated speed with the beta. Either way its good memory, its a win no matter what.

If thats his budget, I would go for it, with a GTX 1060 he wont notice it from 2666 to 2933 anyway and that is a good build for the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 7 or 10?

CPU-Z is a small program that tells all the essential information.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I have a more ancient PC than you (Q6600 at 2.4) and managed to make it run WoW smoothly by changing my Ati HD2900XT with an AMD RX560 and eliminating all fan noise at the same time.
    My suggestion for you if your monitor is indeed G-Sync and not FreeSync is getting a 1060ti and changing your RAM from 3x2GB (I sincerely hope you're not running 6x1GB) to 3x4GB and saving your money for when Intel releases 6core mainstream CPUs late this year.
    Worst case you'd be burning the money spent on the RAM.
    Last edited by Pothole; 2017-06-23 at 12:58 PM. Reason: late this year

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    The Ripjaws V currently will only run at 2666. Gigabyte does have a newer bios for that board, it is beta but it has the new agesa code so I could be wrong as my motherboard hasnt released the new agesa codes in a bios update yet. The GB Gaming could very well run that memory at its rated speed with the beta. Either way its good memory, its a win no matter what.

If thats his budget, I would go for it, with a GTX 1060 he wont notice it from 2666 to 2933 anyway and that is a good build for the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 7 or 10?
    Windows 10 mate

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for the advice so far =D

15+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10 mate

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for the advice so far =D
    Easiest way:

Link

A better and newer video card would be the first thing to upgrade. The cpu is ok and ram isn't bad. If your budget is decent, starting out with a new rig is best though.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    A better and newer video card would be the first thing to upgrade. The cpu is ok and ram isn't bad. If your budget is decent, starting out with a new rig is best though.
    The cpu is not okay any more. It's from the first gen I7 and it is REALLY showing it's age now.

If it was a 2500k/2600k it would still be allright with a littel oc, but the i7-920 is just to old now

The AMD Ryzen 5 1600 will kick the ass out of the I7 920
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: