Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account

Legendaries and how to easily fix the system

TL; DR: Legendaries need a 'reroll' quest so we can sift through our wasted bag space on leggos we don't use in an attempt to make them useful.

Now that we are into our second tier of raiding with Argus around the corner (so to speak), I think Blizz should address the obvious issue with Legendaries and how many people out there are still missing the 'mandatory' ones, especially when jumping between two or more specs.
    This can be easily corrected by a simple quest (or chain of quests) that allow you to obtain an item that allows you to 'reroll' a Legendary.
    Here's how it could work:

Let's say you have 6 legendaries, 4 of which are for one spec, 1 of which is another spec, and 1 that is spec/class neutral (ex: sephuz's, prydaz).
    Now let's say one of those is complete garbage and you have never used it because it came 4th or 5th, so all it does is take up bag/bank space.
    Picking up a quest would have you do stuff in-game that rewards legendaries (such as doing X world quests, killing Y raid bosses, completing Z invasions), basically play the game.
    Once you complete the numbers games, you get crafting items that, paired with the Legionfall rep material thing, can be crafted into a Legendary Reroll Token.
    Using this token on one of your existing Legendaries will reroll it to a Legendary you have yet to obtain.
    This can be limited to the quest only being available once per week, and it can be locked behind some requirement (like needing Revered/Exalted with a faction, whatever generic roadblock they choose that, while restrictive at first, is fairly easy to obtain with a little bit of gameplay).

Now, the quest should be limited to only available once per week, to prevent spam rerolling for the one you want while still offering it weekly so you still have that moment of 'maybe this is my week'.
    They can also force a restriction on spec-specific, so if you reroll a rdruid item, it can only reroll into an rdruid item you have yet to obtain (rdruid lifebloom belt can't be targeted to, say, a gdruid leggo, as an example).
    They can also throw the one you rolled away back into the pool, so if you reroll Leggo A and it becomes Leggo B, Leggo A is now back into the 'available' pool and available for future Leggo drops/rerolls.
    Now, your BLP should NOT be reset with this, especially if the leggo you no longer have becomes available in the pool again, so you can still naturally obtain them throughout gameplay as well, regardless of the quest step you are on.

This of course is flawed and unfinished, but I think it would be a great way to let people get Legendaries that have avoided them the past year as the expansion closes out.
    Sure, the argument can be made that you will *maybe* get the ones you want eventually, but as Argus comes out and the final raid is released, this would be a nice added benefit to those who don't even have any of their top 3 yet (I only have 1 of my top 3 for rdruid, main spec) to finally see what all the hub-bub is about with the cream of the crop.
    Also, the argument could be made that Blizz should instead retool all Leggos to make them closer, but let's be honest, they will never be truly balanced and retooling existing ones is going to raise much more commotion that it's worth, whereas adding a reroll option may not appeal to those lucky few who have BIS for all specs but it would offer a glimmer of hope to the poor souls who constantly get the subpar ones and complain until they are blue in the face.

Anyway, what does everyone think?
    Seem like a decent idea, or are we simply so far into the xpac that everyone just wants to deal with it the way it is until 8.0 is launched?

that you should quit whining about something that wont happen and is soon useless anyways.

7+ Year Old Account
    #MakeThemLegendaryAgain
    Seriously, go back to how it used to be with class only legendaries, make them rare as hell/hard to get like they used to be. Problem fixed.
    Don't cater to people bitching about it, so they can bitch about the next thing you implement to try and no need to help everyone feel like a special snowflake.

How to fix legendaries: Make them utility only.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    Now let's say one of those is complete garbage and you have never used it because it came 4th or 5th, so all it does is take up bag/bank space.
    A "garbage" legendary is still better than no legendary in that slot. If you have 1 legendary, you equip that, regardless of how bad it is, it's better than anything else you have in that slot. If you get a second legendary, you equip that too, because it's better than anything else you have in that slot. Once you get your third legendary, there will always be one that is garbage compared to the others. You then equip the two good ones and ignore the bad one. And slowly you replace your garbage with better legendaries. That is how the system works and how it is supposed to work. All your suggestion does is increasing the chance of getting the best ones sooner and getting to the ignore-point even faster than now.

No thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only "fix" legendaries might need is increase their drop chance BUT make their unique bonus locked and require a certain investment, and you only unlock one at a time, so you are indirectly able to "choose" your legendary and thus less affected by RNG.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

15+ Year Old Account
    Make a legendary available for each slot with stats only then you can wear and upgrade only 2 of them with the trait you need

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    A "garbage" legendary is still better than no legendary in that slot. If you have 1 legendary, you equip that, regardless of how bad it is, it's better than anything else you have in that slot. If you get a second legendary, you equip that too, because it's better than anything else you have in that slot. Once you get your third legendary, there will always be one that is garbage compared to the others. You then equip the two good ones and ignore the bad one. And slowly you replace your garbage with better legendaries. That is how the system works and how it is supposed to work. All your suggestion does is increasing the chance of getting the best ones sooner and getting to the ignore-point even faster than now.

No thanks.
    But that's kind of the point.
    Once Argus drops, we are in the home stretch of the xpac, maybe 6-8 months left (hopefully not a 14 month long raid...).
    They have the systems in place that roll leggos based on what you have and such, so this is a quest to basically let people 'have fun' with them as the xpac rounds out because once 8.0 launches, they will be phased out within the first few days of leveling (pretty sure I read the legendary affixes deactivate at max level next xpac).
    All this would do is be an optional thing to try to get that one that's eluded you all this time.
    It won't break anything and minimal effort to make a quest and tie in leggo loot tables is all that's needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evaddon View Post
    #MakeThemLegendaryAgain
    Seriously, go back to how it used to be with class only legendaries, make them rare as hell/hard to get like they used to be. Problem fixed.
    Don't cater to people bitching about it, so they can bitch about the next thing you implement to try and no need to help everyone feel like a special snowflake.
    I am a fan of the one/two per xpac with class/spec restrictions because it does give your class/spec its moment to shine.
    For example, in Wrath, I mained a hunter, alt'd a priest and DK, but since I mained a hunter, I never got either leggo for the alts, and I was okay with that.
    I was super pumped when a friend of mine got her Frostmourne though, because it was exciting and the raid group worked together to make it happen.
    Even MoP/WoD is fine, where there's a quest for all, but you didn't just get it by killing some rando elite WQ or from a heroic dungeon, you got it over time with a chain of quests that told a story (now whether or not the story told was good is a different topic), but it felt like a reward instead of 'oh, look, orange appeared in mybags' type of thing.

I def don't want the current system to carry over into the next xpac, though I'm not sure if they will go back to either system (class/spec specific or open to all) from previous expansions.

Honestly, it's so easy to say "in order to fix legendaries you could do xyz to them" because the system is fucking atrocious no matter what perspective you look at it from.

You could do like you said, OP. Or they could just make them more consistently and easily obtained to the point that anyone who raids will have most of them by the time they're in decent gear. Or you could have them purchasable for a quest resource or something. Or you could be able to break down legendaries into a resource that can be exchanged for a legendary of your choice, like 3 for 1 or something. Or legendaries could be purely utility rather than DPS increases. Or they could all have a strict throughput effect in addition to utiliy.

What I'm getting at is that they could just do literally anything other than this massive dumpster fire of a system that at best people tolerate and at worst don't play the game because of.

Solution:

1. Make all legendaries provide a random bonus talent, determined when it drops.
    2. Harvest tears.
    3. Evaporate tears.
    4. Sell salt for profit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    I am a fan of the one/two per xpac with class/spec restrictions because it does give your class/spec its moment to shine.
    For example, in Wrath, I mained a hunter, alt'd a priest and DK, but since I mained a hunter, I never got either leggo for the alts, and I was okay with that.
    I was super pumped when a friend of mine got her Frostmourne though, because it was exciting and the raid group worked together to make it happen.
    Even MoP/WoD is fine, where there's a quest for all, but you didn't just get it by killing some rando elite WQ or from a heroic dungeon, you got it over time with a chain of quests that told a story (now whether or not the story told was good is a different topic), but it felt like a reward instead of 'oh, look, orange appeared in mybags' type of thing.

I def don't want the current system to carry over into the next xpac, though I'm not sure if they will go back to either system (class/spec specific or open to all) from previous expansions.
    I agree with everything you said, if they make the next legendary a quest chain based achievement I wouldn't be opposed. But I still like the idea of one/two classes getting a spot in the light to shine. Maybe do what they did with rogues in Cataclysm.

Legendaries should be powerful, rare, and hard to get and not get nerfed and hotfixed and effects changed like this expansion

How to fix legendaries: You can't. Get over it.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    How to fix Legendaries:

Give a 2-quest reroll option to a price of 50.000-100.000 pr. change of legendary.

Or, just make them non-BIS
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    How to fix legendaries: Make them utility only.
    That would be great, but this far in, I could just imagine the outcry and how they are nerfed and the world is ending, the sky is falling, etc.
    If they stick with this 100% random legendary model for next xpac, hopefully they start with utility only.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    How to fix Legendaries:

Give a 2-quest reroll option to a price of 50.000-100.000 pr. change of legendary.

Or, just make them non-BIS
    Legendaries, in their current form, will just about always have 2 that are BIS due to ilvl alone, but with affixes, they are pushed over the top for sure.
    I mean, even the 'worst' legendary for a spec is still better than an ordinary old purple for the vast majority of the playerbase,when you consider 970 versus maybe a 915ish (guessing that's, on average, where raiders are with any given piece) in raw stats alone.

I would support a gold sink as a way to reroll, but it could also alienate the people it could actually help the most.
    I know tons of people who don't care to farm gold and have maybe 100k account wide.
    I myself only have about 300k or so, so I could reroll a couple times on my main, but then alts are forgotten.
    Being quest-driven is what WoW has always been about and would be a good way to implement a change like this.
    It really is just a a temporary way to alleviate the restrictions on legendaries and mix in a little more controlled RNG.
    I mean, back in the day, you had one chance to get an item per week, but now you can have up to 13 or more chances at a single item for the truly dedicated (given 4 difficulties, 6 seal cap plus 3 seals purchased per week and any you get from mission board), so why not lift up just a bit on them and let people do a long quest to reroll?

Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    Solution:

1. Make all legendaries provide a random bonus talent, determined when it drops.
    2. Harvest tears.
    3. Evaporate tears.
    4. Sell salt for profit.
    How to break the entire talent system in one solution.

Literally one of the dumbest ideas I've seen anyone suggest in this thread, and that's kind of an accomplishment.

How to fix the legendary problem? Remove them from the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Community perception is a bigger issue than implementation. When players are accustomed to being 100% optimal every week, they can't handle not being able to buy <BiS leg 1> and <BiS leg 2> according to Icy Veins from a vendor
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    The system does exactly what they designed it to do; force you to grind towards a goal that you have no guarantee of reaching.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

My main is at 22/26 legendarys, missing the last pieces from the 3. offspec. I know many other players in similar situations at this time into the addon.

Is this suggestion to shorten the time frame for "best legendarys" aimed at new players or twinks? Because this would allow a wide spread class stacking in raids and pretty much destroy the remaining tiny amount of class identity for players.

The BadLuckProtection with the guarantee drop makes it very easy to collect all legendarys for your class. The amount of time you need for it is minuscule compared to previous addon reputation / upgrade / badge farming time you also had to do for character progression. Dont you remember?
    -

7+ Year Old Account
    I think we should be able to wear more than just two.. i know they said in 7.3 we will get more but wouldnt it be nice if we had a legendary collections much like how the heirlooms and also those items you get that are blizzard account bound they should go in tab as well only makes sense.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396