Page 1 of 2
LastLast

8.0 Warcraft bringing the Lovecraft

Samwise posted a picture one can only imagine is N'zoth the God of the Deep.

Hearthstone N'zoth

Cthulhu

Then Kul'Tiras armor was datamined. A naval Human Kingdom that has been absent since Grand Admiral Daelin Proudmoore was killed back in WCIII

Expect Kul'Tiras to become a paradory of Innsmouth. Twlight Cult might have a firm grip on Kul'Tiras or simply enthralled them with the power of the Sea God and his Demi-Goddess Queen Azshara. expect some form of Deep Ones to be represented.

Next expansion is going to be dark and nightmarish indeed I believe. Gonna have to do something significant to keep the story flowing hard after the significant climax 7.3.5 provides.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2017-07-17 at 11:39 PM.

With the Legion being gone the only threat on Azeroth is Azshara and N`zoth than after that possibly go after the void lords somehow. Whats after that is the question.

Yeh that ship totally fits the warcraft look.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to YEARS AGO.

This is not news in even the slightest sense of the word.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Welcome to YEARS AGO.

This is not news in even the slightest sense of the word.
    I'm saying they are going full on Cthlulhu look with N'zoth notice N'zoths wings in Samwise picture and the naval town Kul'Tiras sudden appearance.

Thats not years ago. sit the fuck down.

in before the "thats not N'Zoth" comments
    Last edited by Hyrja; 2017-07-18 at 12:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Samwise loves his art, I follow him on twitter, it's just another one of his pieces unrelated to WoW most likely.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrja View Post
    in before the "thats not N'Zoth"
    same eyes same barbed teeth towards the top of the head.

Samewise draws ALOT of random things. I wouldn't look too much into this if I were you.

Besides, he would not post actual concept art from an unannounced expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    same eyes same barbed teeth towards the top of the head.
    yea its almost like Warcrafts Old Gods are based on them or somethin'......
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Expect the next expansion to be less dark and serious than Legion.

Ergo, not dark and nightmarish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Expect the next expansion to be less dark and serious than Legion.

Ergo, not dark and nightmarish.
    ... And why should we expect that, if I might ask?

10+ Year Old Account
    How many threads do we need on this subject...

I really, really, REALLY don't think the next expansion will be Old God focused, or at least not any more focused than Cataclysm. The Old Gods are NOT the main villains. Never have been, never will. They aren't beings meant for combat, and their minions are sometimes stronger than they are (after their defeat, of course).

IF the next expansion is South Seas/Kul Tiras, I suspect the main conflict will be Horde Vs. Alliance, similar to Cataclysm and MoP. It stands to reason that after the major war against the Burning Legion, the Horde and Alliance are still going to be heavily armed and ready for war. Think of Legion as being WWII, with the Allied forces victorious and the Axis eliminated, the U.S. and the Soviets became wary of each-others potential, each side increasing their suspicion of the other in a constant cycle of increasing armament, the Cold War. After Legion, the Horde and Alliance are going to be extraordinarily well armed, and fighting the Legion has shown what each side is capable of to the other. Sylvanas leads the Horde now, and Genn isn't going to sit idle with the Legion gone. He will want to immediately attack the Horde, and the Horde will expect this. The Horde will increase their military, Genn will try and convince the Alliance to go to war. This whole thing is going to rest on Anduin's shoulders, whether to go with Genn and attack the Horde before their might becomes too great, or pursue peace and hope the Horde doesn't decide to go to war on their own.

Then it comes down to the neutral lands in the South Seas. The Gilneans try to go around the Alliance by hiring mercenaries and pirates, to try and provoke the Horde to attack, starting the Fifth War. Meanwhile, the Horde does the same, fighting with proxies in the South Seas to prevent Genn's plan. Old Gods and even N'Zoth himself can get involved, but the main plot will be the Alliance/Horde Cold War.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ok so...

He posted that with the caption "Not an iceberg" in reference to a massive new iceberg found in/near Antartica. It is also a call back to years ago to the "Blip" when a sound heard on radar(?) was thought to be a massive animal, much larger than a whale was picked up. People instantly thought C'thulhu. It was determined to be a large iceberg breaking.

Samwise has always been known to be very interested into Lovecraftian themes and anything of the occult.

You can argue he is teasing for 8.0.

It is unlikely though.

EDIT: By all means keep up the hype though. Don't let this deflate your hopes and dreams.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Does Samwise still work for Blizzard though? I thought he quit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akande Ogundimu View Post
    Does Samwise still work for Blizzard though? I thought he quit
    No, he still works there, he's just on Heroes of the Storm now.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalSTR View Post
    Ok so...

He posted that with the caption "Not an iceberg" in reference to a massive new iceberg found in/near Antartica. It is also a call back to years ago to the "Blip" when a sound heard on radar(?) was thought to be a massive animal, much larger than a whale was picked up. People instantly thought C'thulhu. It was determined to be a large iceberg breaking.

Samwise has always been known to be very interested into Lovecraftian themes and anything of the occult.

You can argue he is teasing for 8.0.

It is unlikely though.

EDIT: By all means keep up the hype though. Don't let this deflate your hopes and dreams.
    Ah yes, the Bloop.

Freaky as hell: (wait for it)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Ah yes, the Bloop.

Freaky as hell: (wait for it)

Yeah "Bloop" that's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ... And why should we expect that, if I might ask?
    Because it's bad creatively to do that 2 expansions in a row (plus a year of WOD) as a main theme.

People will get burnt out (players and Blizzard staff). You need a change of pace to keep it fresh and create contrast.

It's been dark and serious for debatably too long already and by the time next one comes out (a year from now) it will really be a worn out theme. 2 more years of it will turn off many, while changing it up will appeal to most.

Expect an MoP-like expansion, in that it will be a lighter theme and feels different.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2017-07-18 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Because it's bad creatively to do that 2 expansions in a row (plus a year of WOD) as a main theme.

People will get burnt out (players and Blizzard staff). You need a change of pace to keep it fresh and create contrast.

It's been dark and serious for too debatably too long already and by the time next one comes out (a year from now) it will really be a worn out theme. 2 more years of it will turn off many, while changing it up will appeal to most.
    There's literally nothing supporting this hypothesis of yours, especially considering the highly polarizing effect that the "lighter themes" of MoP had. It became such an eyesore to so many people that they completely overlooked the darker themes of war, slavery, genocide etc etc...

Sorry, but everything hints towards old gods. I don't think the creators of World of Warcraft are concerned with players needing Hello Kitty-esque reprieves from the war and turmoil. Especially considering the fact that they tend to mix lighter themes with the darker just fine.