Deleted

Upgrading from i5 2500k

Hello , I need to upgrade my rig
    current specs : i5 2500k , evga gtx 960 , 8gb 1333(1600)mhz hyper x , caviar black 1tb.

I need it to play games and run PokerTracker 4 (A poker tracking software that uses database management to keep track of hands ) thus I need a strong machine.

Money isn't an issue but I don't want to spend more than 600-700euro to upgrade , also what would be a good price to sell each individual thing on my current rig except my HDD , also my motherboard is damaged due to heavy use probably and the fans don't get power from the mobo so I'm gonna throw that away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Proshitmon View Post
    Hello , I need to upgrade my rig
    current specs : i5 2500k , evga gtx 960 , 8gb 1333(1600)mhz hyper x , caviar black 1tb.

I need it to play games and run PokerTracker 4 (A poker tracking software that uses database management to keep track of hands ) thus I need a strong machine.

Money isn't an issue but I don't want to spend more than 600-700euro to upgrade , also what would be a good price to sell each individual thing on my current rig except my HDD , also my motherboard is damaged due to heavy use probably and the fans don't get power from the mobo so I'm gonna throw that away.
    Well I don't know how big the poker database is, but if it only tracks the games you have played, it's a fairly small DB and any PC could handle that.

Otherwise you'd have to look at the size of the DB and the queries that are run to determine the amount of RAM, disk and CPU power you want to have.

An SSD can be helpful if you cannot fit the DB into RAM, so I'd say that's the number one upgrade for your system, since it also benefits loading times in general.

Since you didn't specify what games you want to play at what resolution and settings it's hard to make a proper recommendation but if you're aiming for 600 euro I'd be looking at a Ryzen 5 system with 8 or 16GB RAM depending on the actual DB size, SSD plus maybe a 1050ti.
    Depending on the games you play and the database needs (I don't think it is that demanding really) you can shift things around a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Well I don't know how big the poker database is, but if it only tracks the games you have played, it's a fairly small DB and any PC could handle that.

Otherwise you'd have to look at the size of the DB and the queries that are run to determine the amount of RAM, disk and CPU power you want to have.

An SSD can be helpful if you cannot fit the DB into RAM, so I'd say that's the number one upgrade for your system, since it also benefits loading times in general.

Since you didn't specify what games you want to play at what resolution and settings it's hard to make a proper recommendation but if you're aiming for 600 euro I'd be looking at a Ryzen 5 system with 8 or 16GB RAM depending on the actual DB size, SSD plus maybe a 1050ti.
    Depending on the games you play and the database needs (I don't think it is that demanding really) you can shift things around a bit.
    I'm looking mainly for 1920x1080 res at medium/high graphics , the DB can exceed 20gb and grows as time goes by , an ssd is a great suggestion , I was thinking abour ryzen but then I saw i7 7700k and I was really satisfied with my 2500k over those years

I'm looking mainly for 1920x1080 res at medium/high graphics , the DB can exceed 20gb and grows as time goes by , an ssd is a great suggestion , I was thinking abour ryzen but then I saw i7 7700k and I was really satisfied with my 2500k over those years
    If your willing to chance ryzen, the R7 1700 is currently on sale for 15% off.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-428-_-Product

I'm not sure if you can buy it where you live, but that is a powerhouse of a processor for workstations. Give it a decent overclock and it can keep pace will the much more expensive 1800x.

Ram+mobo should run around 220$

Deleted
    Well since he's talking about prices in Euro I doubt newegg is an option there.

As for the DB: You can use
    Code:
    SELECT
       relname AS objectname,
       relkind AS objecttype,
       reltuples AS "#entries", pg_size_pretty(relpages::bigint*8*1024) AS size
       FROM pg_class
       WHERE relpages >= 8
       ORDER BY relpages DESC;
    on a psql prompt to see the various object sizes in the database. (Source)

The 7700k is great for gaming but then you need a graphic card that can keep up with it, which puts you way beyond the 600 Euro mark. You could of course get the CPU now and then later upgrade the GPU, but unless you want top notch gaming performance (and pay for it) a Ryzen 5 is definitely the better option IMHO.

Ryzen 7 (8/16 cores) would probably exceed the budget a bit (a lot without overclocking) - it's slightly behind a 7700k when it comes to gaming especially in (older) games that depend on single thread performance. In return it's way better in multi threaded applications, however you don't appear to be using one, so I think a 6/12 or even a 4/8 core is sufficient.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2017-07-13 at 09:19 PM.

Deleted
    Go for the Ryzen CPU wise if you must. The i5 2500k is still good. Just overclock it well IMO.

A good GPU will net you a bigger gain fps and graphics wise than any cpu upgrade.

1080p is easy to master now with a cheap video card...main focus of video cards now is to mainly perfect 1440p which they kinda already did for what i seen in benchmarks and hitting 4k..

a 1060 should be perfect for 1080p gaming...or w.e amd got.

and im at same boat wiith you for my i5-2500k been great...and im upgrading my cpu soon dunno what yet...still waiting as long as i can