Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why do some people obsessively talk about their relationships?

Has anyone else experienced this? How do you handle the situation?

I have certain friends that will obsessively discuss their relationship, marriage, anniversary, engagement, impending nuptials, etc on social media or in person and it is NONSTOP, to the point of being nauseating. For example, I have one friend that has talked about her upcoming engagement EVERY DAY for the past several months, and she's not getting married until next June. If you express your happiness for them and try to change the subject, the conversation inevitably ends up back on the topic of relationships.

I love dating and healthy relationships and celebrating anniversaries, but holy crap some people take it to the extreme.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd guess it's to do with a lack of anything else of substance to talk about. If they do everything with their SO then everything they talk about will involve them. Same deal with parents who drone on and on about their kids.

Some people only have their relationships as their main interest. I have a friend like that, when she wasn't in a relationship, she'd only ever talk about guys. Now that she's in a relationship, all that's ever coming from her has to do with their life together and their future relationship plans. Her boyfriend is the same way, so I'm glad they found one another.

Have friends whom became completely changed once they had children as well. I'm happy for them and their kids are wonderful, but I have no interest in being told 15 times an hour that "life has true meaning with children in it!"...

10+ Year Old Account
    If thats all you have going for you, I suppose it makes sense to only talk about it.

Like, I have my bf and I love him and I'll occasionally gush, but I've also got other things going for me that I'll talk about too. Like being a conference presenter!

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people are only truly happy when they're with someone else, and unfortunately that involves them putting their partner at the center of their universe. The put their partner up on a pedestal and in many cases lose their own individualism making everything about them. The sad part is these folks are absolutely devastated when their relationships fail and will run quickly to the next one to fill that void.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

I have certain friends that will obsessively discuss their relationship, marriage, anniversary, engagement, impending nuptials, etc on social media or in person and it is NONSTOP, to the point of being nauseating. For example, I have one friend that has talked about her upcoming engagement EVERY DAY for the past several months, and she's not getting married until next June. If you express your happiness for them and try to change the subject, the conversation inevitably ends up back on the topic of relationships.

I love dating and healthy relationships and celebrating anniversaries, but holy crap some people take it to the extreme.
    I think it's because people want to share their happiness, their feeling is that the way they feel is how everyone feels because we all share the same mind. I don't take it personally.

I mean I am single and there are times I wished I wasn't but if there are people married or in a relationship I honestly despite the odds hope they can be happy or anyone else. I think love is a good thing, and I like to see it PDA's I can take or leave but in general there is enough to be miserable about.

So as to you question Yep I experience these things often.

If I ever get uncomfortable, which really has never come up, I just excuse myself. However the only time I think it's bothered me is if I get the sense it's not genuine and more "Look at Me" just because, Then I exit the scene haha.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

People tend to talk about what they have on their minds. If they are particularly hyped or involved in their relationship odds are thats what theyll talk about.. Not exactly complicated.

Deleted
    One thing that is easy to sort of miss is that a person in a committed relationship, as in the two live together and spend most of their time together, generally doesn't have a lot to say about their daily life outside of their relationship because not a lot happens in their daily life outside of their relationship.

When I separated from an ex a few years back, and we'd been together 3 years, most of what I could relate to and talk about (unless it was personal interests) was stuff that I had done with her - places we went, food we cooked, movies we saw etc etc. It's just the nature of the life of a person in a committed relationship. You do most things together so you end up talking about those things.

Is this really thread worthy? People obsess over anything. This is one of the more common ones. Yes, annoying, but meh, that's life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather hear people talk about their own relationships rather than those same people trying to find me a nice girl to settle down with. Both are annoying, but only one really involves me.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're between your late twenties early thirties and have access to facebook, where the most needy individuals go to for external validation of their lives...

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess that's a perk of being a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Do what everyone else does zone them out and nod occasionally just be ready for the cycle to repeat when the divorce happens

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    You're between your late twenties early thirties and have access to facebook, where the most needy individuals go to for external validation of their lives...
    Exactly this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obsession / Addiction. Also only being able to define themselves by one trait.

How to deal with it? Unfollow them on social media, and reduce meet ups or conversations with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Some people only have their relationships as their main interest. I have a friend like that, when she wasn't in a relationship, she'd only ever talk about guys. Now that she's in a relationship, all that's ever coming from her has to do with their life together and their future relationship plans. Her boyfriend is the same way, so I'm glad they found one another.
    Yeah...same. I feel like women experience this with their female friends most often, I could be wrong about this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    If thats all you have going for you, I suppose it makes sense to only talk about it.

Like, I have my bf and I love him and I'll occasionally gush, but I've also got other things going for me that I'll talk about too. Like being a conference presenter!
    Oooh awesome! Congrats and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Some people are only truly happy when they're with someone else, and unfortunately that involves them putting their partner at the center of their universe. The put their partner up on a pedestal and in many cases lose their own individualism making everything about them. The sad part is these folks are absolutely devastated when their relationships fail and will run quickly to the next one to fill that void.
    Yesss indeed. I feel like with women, many of them base their self-esteem on dating someone/who they're dating. This probably applies to some guys, too ("trophy wives").

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I think it's because people want to share their happiness, their feeling is that the way they feel is how everyone feels because we all share the same mind. I don't take it personally.
    Well for most people I feel this way. For others, their relationship is all they seem to talk about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Yeah that is very true....lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I guess that's a perk of being a woman.
    It is NOT a perk! I hate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Do what everyone else does zone them out and nod occasionally just be ready for the cycle to repeat when the divorce happens
    LMAO!

Sorry for the wall o'text.

It is often the most important thing in their life. Pretty simply.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all some have going for them at that moment really. Been there but still I keep my relationship stuff mostly private unless its relevant

10+ Year Old Account

Well for most people I feel this way. For others, their relationship is all they seem to talk about.

Yeah however I will say a specific friend of mine I have known for like 23+ years, which is NOt uncommon, I can get along with almost any but friends are few but those that are friends I've known like close to 20 years.

Well this friend I went to middle school with, and one of the contentions between us as of late relates to his GF an older woman who actually, is pretty well off and invested a lot of time in him, turned him into a better person IMO.

However I am not exactly sure about their relationship specifically, but yeah they both kind of make it all about them on very much, which is OK, but as of recently me and this friend got into a bit of a heating exchange, because well they had a few too many, which never happened before.

Anyways instead of hanging up and what not, the exchange went too far and he starts blaming me for not calling enough and not coming to visit him.

Keep in mind him and this woman he is with are exactly like you are describing which is fine, the PROBLEM at least for me is when it gets to a point it goes over board and both or one thinks you should drop everything in your life when they finally kind of get around to noticing you have a life too.

If it gets so bad that they literally treat you and others in their lives like a book they can close and come back and open right where they left off, then yes THAT can be a problem.

Me and this friend still talk but I will be honest while I don't lose friends like ever, this is one of those situations that honestly, it might be at an end, for no other reason than what I describe I wish him and them well, but really when they are so busy with one another they forget the world well ok, but if they expect everyone to always be the supporting cast in their movie of life, yeah, uh no.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Its empty people that need to fill the void because they have nothing else to do.

Like, literally nothing else to talk about, all they do for years is

Wake up-->Work (or study depending on age)-->Cry about no relationship-->No other hobbies or interests or time for them cause of work or studies-->Finally find one-->Everything about them.

Then everything about the other person, becomes everything about the kid, because the life hasnt changed, no hobbies, no interests.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    And this.

As far as i have noticed mostly females have no sense of individualism, its really really hard to find a female in their 20s-30s that isnt completely "empty" and simply copies/adapts to the boyfriend hobbies or schedule which leads to what OP is describing.

But i would guess its because females take much more time to do daily stuff which leaves them with less free time, leading to less stuff overall, its my guess at least.

Its just weird to see different females over the last 10-13 years turn into a "mini version" of my male friends over a period simply to adapt/get attached to the boyfriend more.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-07-18 at 04:05 AM.