Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Plus in all honestly in essence the ACA is the max what one could do unless you go full government run healthcare.

At best you can remove a thing or two like the taxes or maybe the children till X age getting covered by the parents plan but the mandate, minimum quality plans and pre-existing coverage all what makes the ACA a successes even though the right-wing will never admit that.
    I can only laugh because if they would have just left the public option alone(fuck you, Joe) the system itself would probably be somewhat stable and way better than it currently is now. By being dicks about their own system just because they wanted to make Obama a 1-term president they have placed us on the inevitable path to single-payer. Cutting off your nose to spite your face: Government edition!
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    I can only laugh because if they would have just left the public option alone(fuck you, Joe) the system itself would probably be somewhat stable and way better than it currently is now. By being dicks about their own system just because they wanted to make Obama a 1-term president they have placed us on the inevitable path to single-payer. Cutting off your nose to spite your face: Government edition!
    I do wonder that if after 4 years the ACA repeal and ''replace'' hasn't passed yet what will Republicans rally behind then since I also doubt that the wall will be ''build'' or even ''started''

What's left? getting rid of everybody that's non aryan?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I do wonder that if after 4 years the ACA repeal and ''replace'' hasn't passed yet what will Republicans rally behind then since I also doubt that the wall will be ''build'' or even ''started''

What's left? getting rid of everybody that's non aryan?
    I'm hoping that GOP civil war becomes a reality. My big hope was that when Trump lost the moderates and libertarians were going to tell the plutocrats and the evangelicals to fuck right off and they could make the super supply-side Jesus party which only 25% of the electorate at max would ever waste their vote on.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Still might happen. Trump with a Republican controled house and Senate hasn't managed to get anything done. This health bill just shows that the GoP is far from unified. They've had 8 years to get their shit and platform together. Yet they're sticking to their guns during dubbayas time that proved to be unpopular.
    Theyll be unified come election time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    I'm glad to see there are at least a handful of republicans who have the balls and common sense to not support this bullshit. I think repealing the ACA and actually working with dems on a new bill is the most sensible thing to do at this point. The utter failure of the GOP on healthcare is almost comical.
    Working with Democrats? Can you please tell me what you expect that will come out of this that will be realistically better then the ACA and not something that aims for 20M less insured like every Republican proposal till now.

Democrats have no obligation to help Republicans to pass a law that's worse then the current ACA. If you want to fix the flaws of the current healthcare law that you need to adjust the law in specific area's and not repeal the entire thing.

The ACA is the Democrat answer towards the bad healthcare system of the US, why they need to compromise with a party that aims for 20M less insured is beyond rational.

It's also rather telling that republicans need democrat help in order to come up with a bill that is slightly human and not totally horseshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I expect them to try more shenanigans.

End of the day though, unless they do a 180 on everything they've talked about for 8 years and their entire election platform, they're going to be advancing a monumentally unpopular piece of legislation that will struggle to pass and if it does, will get them eviscerated next election.

Kobayashi Maru.
    They could have it gradually phased out over years, with none of the major "fuck you" parts of it kicking in until after the 2018 election or later. Gives you the "win" now, fucks over the people you wanted to fuck over after you've weathered a rough mid cycle election convincing said people to vote for you. This means they'll have written off 2020 to the Democrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    They could have it gradually phased out over years, with none of the major "fuck you" parts of it kicking in until after the 2018 election or later. Gives you the "win" now, fucks over the people you wanted to fuck over after you've weathered a rough mid cycle election convincing said people to vote for you. This means they'll have written off 2020 to the Democrats.
    Not that easy, the ACA didn't kick in 2010 but the deathpanel crap started in 08 before the vote in november.

If Republicans assume that '18 is save year as long as their horseshit doesn't kick in after the mid-terms they will fall down to the same tactics they used against Democrats. Even if as a republican you don't vote for this shit it's a easy tactic just to blame Republicans as a whole for this crappy bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boy. I thought the Democrats were incompetent for blowing the 2016 election.

Republicans sure are giving them a run for their money.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Theyll be unified come election time.
    This is true. And there is no reason to believe that they will lose a bunch of seats at this time. Actually in the Senate they have a good chance at picking up quite a few seats due to the fact that they have few seats to defend and the democrats have a lot to defend. Typically, when a party gets a huge victory like republicans did in 2016, that party gets 6 years to rule not 2. I'm still expecting good republican results in 2018, the reelection of Trump in 2020, with 2022 being the first time that democrats can realistically make any meaningful gains.

It should be noted that the democratic party is not that united either.

Nice to see Trump blaming the Democrats for this on twitter. "How dare those Democrats not support me killing people!" Now he just wants to repeal the ACA because fuck everyone I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminder: Trump is a MASTER negotiator. He makes deals. Gets things done.

Honestly, I'm really surprised that his scathing tweets didn't light a fire under the GOP's ass. I mean, tweets are serious business. If tweeting didn't work, nothing will.
    Eat yo vegetables

I still expect them to pass some bill that won't go into effect until 2020 or after so democrats have time to end it and then they get to start ranting about it again to get back into office in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    How confident are you in this. Because I'm going to bookmark and hold you to this if the repeal legislation gets introduced. I don't share you faith in the slightest, especially since this grants them a legislative "win" (participant award) while also providing them with over a year to try to figure out a solution that they can at least get 51 of their own party behind. Otherwise they're gambling with the midterms, and at this point I think they're dumb and desperate enough to do just that. I'd love to be wrong, though.
    I think it'll be reintroduced...
    The repeal will be based off of the 2015 legislation when all but two senators will supporting it. McConnell will try for an even split vote with Pence to break the tie.
    At any rate I'm fairly sure it will make it to the floor...it will get that far. Whether it goes any further is anyone's guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a reminder. There were more than 50 votes attempting to repeal ACA since 2009. If GOP cannot even gather the 50% votes now... what exactly were these 50+ attempts supposed to do:

http://time.com/4712725/ahca-house-r...tes-obamacare/

You mean to tell me, that for the last 8 years, GOP have been trying to do something they cannot seem to agree in doing them selfs? They held up the US budget, with Cruz filibustering that includes a green eggs and ham reading, without having an actual solution?

If you consider this a failure, remember that GOP had no problems imposing this failure on Obama... more than 50 times...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Reminder: Trump is a MASTER negotiator. He makes deals. Gets things done.

Honestly, I'm really surprised that his scathing tweets didn't light a fire under the GOP's ass. I mean, tweets are serious business. If tweeting didn't work, nothing will.
    This is the result of a president that doesn't have the respect of his own party, let alone the public.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    This is true. And there is no reason to believe that they will lose a bunch of seats at this time. Actually in the Senate they have a good chance at picking up quite a few seats due to the fact that they have few seats to defend and the democrats have a lot to defend. Typically, when a party gets a huge victory like republicans did in 2016, that party gets 6 years to rule not 2. I'm still expecting good republican results in 2018, the reelection of Trump in 2020, with 2022 being the first time that democrats can realistically make any meaningful gains.

It should be noted that the democratic party is not that united either.
    No and the democrats have scrupples and a modicum of intellectual honesty and integrity. This prevents them from voting in lock step.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think it'll be reintroduced...
    The repeal will be based off of the 2015 legislation when all but two senators will supporting it. McConnell will try for an even split vote with Pence to break the tie.
    At any rate I'm fairly sure it will make it to the floor...it will get that far. Whether it goes any further is anyone's guess.
    If you couldn't vote for a bill that removed 20M people from insurance then how could one vote for a law that removed 30M

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    This is the result of a president that doesn't have the respect of his own party, let alone the public.
    Please check the bottom of your shoes. I think you stepped in Pre-911's dripping sarcasm but didn't realize it.

Granted, your statement is pretty much correct. He called them a bunch of dopes for their failure to pass TrumpCare which he did not write, take part in creation of, or push other than tweet. His own health care bill is MIA, of course, but that's beside the point. And his poll numbers, record-breakingly low, are dropping further. They're not Nixon-level yet, but July 17, 2017 will not help him.
    1) Health care failed.
    2) A judge ruled that the Mar-a-Lago visitor logs cannot be kept secret.
    3) Spicer held a press conference in which he contradicted both Jr's emails and also Trump's version of accounts, and insisted the cameras be turned off when he did it
    4) He spent most of the meeting about the Iran Nuclear Deal yelling at his staff about how poor it was, then signed it anyhow, reversing a major campaign promise.
    5) Trump tweeted about how everyone else would have gone to Trump Jr's meeting -- odd, since Trump himself wasn't there -- without passing it through WH lawyers first.
    6) The WH was forced to specifically and directly defend Trump's businesses as Made In America Week had to leave them off the list.
    7) The federal ethics chair who resigned rather than work with Trump said the USA is a laughingstock that can no longer point fingers at other countries about corruption.
    8) GOP members are openly questioning whether Kushner shouldd have a security clearance.
    9) Arguably my favorite, the latest two "no" votes conspired against Trump, despite having dramatically different reasons, while he was eating overcooked steak.
    10) Members of the Freedom Caucus are already against the GOP budget, ready for force a government shutdown.

Trump is proving that is inexperience and incompetence is making it harder, not easier, for the GOP to get things done. They've been insulted for trying to make a health care plan that's impossible and failing, the WH can't stay on message, his hypocrisy and corruption are taking center stage, and they refuse to open any windows to let out any Trump-Russia smoke. The proven results are disgust by an increasing number of GOP elected officials and even eroding his "floor" of formerly loyal supporters -- JUST like you said.

And that's in the last 24 hours alone.

Are we tired of winning yet?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Please check the bottom of your shoes. I think you stepped in Pre-911's dripping sarcasm but didn't realize it.
    It's sticky and gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    I know, working with democrats is a scary concept. But our current healthcare system is utter trash and republicans can't seem to get away from "help the rich at all costs" tactics, so having the majority reach out to the minority to get something accomplished is more than plausible.
    I'm sure I've said this before, but they could ignore the freedom caucus and work with democrats if improving healthcare was their goal. But it clearly isn't. I'm sure there are some republicans in congress who do care about healthcare and would like to improve it, but that is not a goal of any of the leadership in congress that I have seen. Definitely not the turtle.

Nothing in the republican bills serves to address the quality of health care, the cost, or accessibility. In fact their bills have the goal of taking away accessibility and making plans that actually cover anything skyrocket in costs.

So no, there isn't going to be any effort to work with democrats because democrats don't have the singular goal of tax cuts for the richest people in the country.