Poll: Do you like Game of Thrones?

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Do you like Game of Thrones?

I don't - it is just like a Spanish soap opera. Too low-fantasy too much focused on politics and side-bullshit.
    When I tuned in I expected it to be like the Dungeons and Dragons movie, instead I got Esmeralda with mentions of fantasy here and there.
    Overall it's just too shitty to watch, although sometimes has great scenes like the death of Joffrey.
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2017-07-18 at 09:40 AM.

Deleted
    Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I don't usually like political shows, I couldn't even get in to House of Cards etc, but the politics combined with the action and twisting plotlines have really kept me hooked on GoT.

I can see how it wouldn't suit some people but you seem to have expected the show to be something it's not. It's understandable you're disappointed by that but for those of us that went into the show expecting and wanting it to be what it is...it's good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEagle888 View Post
    I don't - it is just like a Spanish soap opera. Too low-fantasy too much focused on politics and side-bullshit.
    When I tuned in I expected it to be like the Dungeons and Dragons movie, instead I got Esmeralda with mentions of fantasy here and there.
    Overall it's just too shitty to watch, although sometimes has great scenes like the death of Joffrey.
    Well if you're expecting strawberry cake and you get apple cake, it's quite logical you won't like it. That doesn't make the apple cake bad though.

It's one -if not- the most popular series in the last decade, and for a reason. Though I have to say I liked the first seasons more than the last one (season 6 in my case).

Deleted
    So a show is bad when it isn't what your uninformed self expected it to be, and you go on the internet to complain?

Shocking revelations aside,

I used to like it up to season 4, when all the showrunners did was translate the source material into a show, and it worked out great.
    When they decided to divert from the source material to write their own stuff (season 5 and on), it became a predictable borefest of clichés and catering to SJWs.

I'd take "political stuff" over high fantasy every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    So a show is bad when it isn't what your uninformed self expected it to be, and you go on the internet to complain?

Shocking revelations aside,

I used to like it up to season 4, when all the showrunners did was translate the source material into a show, and it worked out great.
    When they decided to divert from the source material to write their own stuff (season 5 and on), it became a predictable borefest of clichés and catering to SJWs.
    Dare I ask what you consider "catering to SJWs"?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I tuned in I expected it to be like the Dungeons and Dragons movie,
    I thank the Seven it wasn't....

You can only blame your expectations. Even before watching it, considering the title itself, it's not a big stretch to expect a heavily political show. And personally, that's what I love about it. I would much rather watch two characters talking, plotting, than some "grand" & "epic" scenes of daenerys burning shit, and introducing herself for the 384th time.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Dare I ask what you consider "catering to SJWs"?
    I suspect he takes issue with the show's feminist and anti-slavery themes. Labelling it "catering to SJWs" though kind of smacks of strawmanning.

What is there to dislike?

I've always liked Politics set in fantastical settings.

So yes, I do enjoy GoT.

It started ok, actually it started really good. But the longer we wait for the last two books, more obvious it becomes that it was initially meant to be a trilogy not a septology. So many of the chapters in the last 3 books feel like a filler where the plot is brought to a standstill. After waiting so long for Winds of Winter I'm rather jaded and cynical. GRRM had a chance to do something great, but instead he fumbled it.

10+ Year Old Account
    to be fair....its nothing like a spanish soap opera, be honest with urself.

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    You do know they are following GRR Martin's guidance on how the story goes?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    What is there to dislike?
    Firstly I think the show is amazing. But I know several people whom I spoken to who don't like it. Here are some of the reasons:

1) Too squeamish: People getting dismembered and decapitated, child being thrown out of a window, rotting corpse of a direwolf with it's pups still trying to breastfeed. These things all happen in the first episode and set the tone for the series.
    2) Too emotionally traumatic: Eg Ned Stark being beheaded, the Red Wedding, the Viper getting killed by the Mountain etc etc. This show is pretty hectic, some people can't handle it.
    3) Taboo topics: For some the graphic nudity and sex is too much. For one woman I know she got put off by the gay sex scenes.

Like I say, for me personally these are not issues. They make the world seem real and compelling. But for some people it is too intense. Their loss :P

Honostly, I've only read one peice from G.R.R Martin, his short story from the anthology Rogues. Which was pretty boring, both story and writing.

I have no interest in watching either GoT or read his books, it seems that the only thing people are able to talk about in regards to GoT, is which main character is gonna die next. Which imo makes it sound rather boring and shit if thats the only talking point.

I am gonna buy more of the anthologies he is part of collecting / editing, but none of his other books.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

No. I kinda wish that I did because I feel left out whenever a new episode airs as it seems like everyone goes crazy about it. I've given it multiple chances but I just can't see the appeal.

I've watched the first couple of episodes, but never really got into it personally. But hey, different people like different things, and it increasingly seems to be doing better and better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    No. I kinda wish that I did because I feel left out whenever a new episode airs as it seems like everyone goes crazy about it. I've given it multiple chances but I just can't see the appeal.
    I don't have anything against it, but I feel pretty much the same!
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    You do know they are following GRR Martin's guidance on how the story goes?
    You do know it started like that, but since around S5, they said fuck GRRM, and soon you can expect aliens to invade Westeros, and GRRM won't be able to do a thing about it?

Yes, most of the major plots are supposed to end the same way as they will in books, but how they get there is another matter. And therein lies the problem. GRRM thinks 50 steps ahead, he has the endgame in sight, but he also considers the journey itself. While Dumb&Dumber write some cringe worthy, out of character stuff, just so they can move the plot forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Firstly I think the show is amazing. But I know several people whom I spoken to who don't like it. Here are some of the reasons:

1) Too squeamish: People getting dismembered and decapitated, child being thrown out of a window, rotting corpse of a direwolf with it's pups still trying to breastfeed. These things all happen in the first episode and set the tone for the series.
    2) Too emotionally traumatic: Eg Ned Stark being beheaded, the Red Wedding, the Viper getting killed by the Mountain etc etc. This show is pretty hectic, some people can't handle it.
    3) Taboo topics: For some the graphic nudity and sex is too much. For one woman I know she got put off by the gay sex scenes.

Like I say, for me personally these are not issues. They make the world seem real and compelling. But for some people it is too intense. Their loss :P
    I see, I can accept people disliking those things even though most of them (in my opinion) is what makes the show "great".

It's not about the gore, sex or taboo breaking. It's more about making the world believable, less fantasy. It shows us the ugly side of things, the side that people forget exists even in our societies