Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by globenstine View Post
    most of the world does laugh and jeer at us, that is until they are begging us to bail them out of another war they are losing

Any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I gave you a fact, the US has higher rate of homicide than 125 other countries.
    Where is this from? Everything I've seen is the US has a higher rate than 95 countries (+/- a couple depending on the year). The US tends to sit firmly in just about the exact middle of the pack these days, but I was just wondering what source gave you a number of 125.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    The medical examiner who conducted the post mortem on expatriate Australian Justine Ruszczyk Damond has ruled her death was homicide.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office said Damond “died of a gunshot wound of the abdomen” at around 11.51pm.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and the Hennepin County Medical Examiner are investigating, the office said.

Now its been classified as Homicide , does that mean charges will now be filed against Mohamed Noor the cop who shot her?

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...omicide-2017-7
    homicide does not mean it was criminal homicide.

If you attacked me with an axe and I killed you that would be homicide. If I would get charged with homicide is a different story.

Rumor going around that he was offended by the woman coming up in her pajamas. Apparently he has a past history of encounters with woman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Rumor going around that he was offended by the woman coming up in her pajamas. Apparently he has a past history of encounters with woman.
    Does that rumor come from 4chan? Sounds like bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Where is this from? Everything I've seen is the US has a higher rate than 95 countries (+/- a couple depending on the year). The US tends to sit firmly in just about the exact middle of the pack these days, but I was just wondering what source gave you a number of 125.
    United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) report.

Using the last availble data from each country.
    The list include 219 countries(or dependent territory), and US is ranked 94th in homicide rate. 219 - 94 = 125.

You know, using google is allowed.
    Last edited by Quibble; 2017-07-18 at 03:47 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

10+ Year Old Account
    The medical examiner who conducted the post mortem on expatriate Australian Justine Ruszczyk Damond has ruled her death was homicide.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office said Damond “died of a gunshot wound of the abdomen” at around 11.51pm.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and the Hennepin County Medical Examiner are investigating, the office said.

Now its been classified as Homicide , does that mean charges will now be filed against Mohamed Noor the cop who shot her?

It just means she was killed intentionally. It is up to others to decide if it was criminal, negligent, or justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Quibble View Post
    Oh, I forgot, using Google to look up something like international homicide rates only yields a single result, based on the lone study that has ever been conducted from the single agency in the world that collects such information.

10+ Year Old Account
    United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) report.

Using the last availble data from each country.
    The list include 219 countries, and US is ranked 94th in homicide rate. 219 - 94 = 125.

Except there are actually only 196 countries in the world, if you count Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    homicide does not mean it was criminal homicide.

If you attacked me with an axe and I killed you that would be homicide. If I would get charged with homicide is a different story.
    Yes, it only means she didn't die of illness or old age or the like.

Oh, I forgot, using Google to look up something like international homicide rates only yields a single result, based on the lone study that has ever been conducted from the single agency in the world that collects such information.
    I know this isn't something that you will likely accept.. But wikipedia is almost always the top result, use its references. If that wasn't good enough for you, other than the "data.worldbank" result, UNODC is literally the top result.. Even data.worldbank is just another website using the data from UNODC.

UNODC is also literally the reference to every single news article I could find on the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Except there are actually only 196 countries in the world, if you count Taiwan.
    The study places dependent territories such as Greenland as it's own "country", rather than being a part of Denmark. Which imo is the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Quibble; 2017-07-18 at 03:49 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Deleted
    so... we have a Black police officer killing an unarmed White woman.

Will there be riots over this?

I know this isn't something that you will likely accept.. But wikipedia is almost always the top result, use it and it's references. If that wasn't good enough for you, other than the "data.worldbank" result, UNODC is literally the top result.. Even data.worldbank is just another website using the data from UNODC.

UNODC is also literally the reference to every single news article I could find on the subject.
    Why would that not be something I would likely accept? Ok, since we're doing that, here is something you likely won't accept: Google results are not universal for everyone. For me, the UNODC study is literally the fourth result, which means it is literally not the top result. However I understand that there is some variation, so I normally wouldn't find not having search results in the same order as a reason to toss soft insults at people, even though from my point of view you would come across as a liar if I didn't understand that.

Neither Wikipedia nor World Bank are organized by rank; Wikipedia has nations grouped by region and their numerical standing on the chart has nothing to do with rank, World Bank simply lists countries alphabetically, at least as deeply as I have looked into this in the past (which was nothing past cursory research for my own curiosity) and my quick check today when I thought the number seemed off from what I was remembering.

I was not prepared with a thesis paper using the correct source. I am sorry you will not accept that.

American cops terrify me. Bunch of community college rejects on a power trip toting weapons that kill with the pull of a trigger, whose lack of discretion rarely has consequences. The last people I want helping me out.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2017-07-18 at 04:07 PM.

Neither Wikipedia nor World Bank are organized by rank; Wikipedia has nations grouped by region and their numerical standing on the chart has nothing to do with rank

For me, the UNODC study is literally the fourth result, which means it is literally not the top result.
    my quick check today
    What excatly was your search phrase? And what source did you find? Because I've been unable to find anyone not referencing UNODC.

Why would that not be something I would likely accept?
    Well you didn't just google it yourself. And as I said, wikipedia is pretty much always to top result? Atleast it is for me, maybe that is because I'm studying and I use it to find references quite often.

Either way, I've heard it countless times on forums "omg, you can't use wikipedia", "Everyone can edit it, so you can't trust it".
    Last edited by Quibble; 2017-07-18 at 04:20 PM.

What is the usual training time for cops in USA? Especially until they are given gun?

Whoops, missed that. Like I said, I didn't invest a lot of time looking into this, which is why I was simply trying to ask the source as it was different from other sources I had seen in my cursory look at the subject. So thanks for providing with the answer with no editorial comment.

What excatly was your search phrase?

Because, no matter what phrase I used.. Every single result on page 1, all reference UNODC.
    For today it was simply 'international homicide rate'. And I didn't check every single source on page 1 so I can't speak to their references. Again, as I said I did a cursory overview to refresh my memory from a previous look and was simply trying to ask a source as it was different from what I was remembering having seen. I didn't invest the time in digging through sources in all the references I looked at. I was assuming since they had a source they would be able to easily provide it to me for me to look into later. But thanks for providing the source instead and providing the information with no editorial comment whatsoever.

Well you didn't just google it yourself. And as I said, wikipedia is pretty much always to top result? Atleast it is for me, maybe that is because I'm studying and I use it to find references quite often.
    I did though, and Wikipedia was the top result. And again, I missed the rate because I was just scrolling through trying to refresh my memory, then I moved on to the next result and did a quick check there, and so on. The UNODC pulled up the whole study and I didn't want to wade through it, so I was simply trying to ask so I could pursue it more later. And again, thank you for simply providing the answer with no editorial comment.

Basically though the homicide designation just indicates that the person died due to an injury caused by another human. That is not a criminal charge yet just a finding that the gunshot wound was the cause of death. It is interesting we have not even heard yet what the police officers reasoning behind the shooting was yet it seems like shooting past your partner inside a car would be something you would not want to do unless there was some serious threat or your partner was being directly attacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this isn't something that you will likely accept.. But wikipedia is almost always the top result, use its references. If that wasn't good enough for you, other than the "data.worldbank" result, UNODC is literally the top result.. Even data.worldbank is just another website using the data from UNODC.

- - - Updated - - -

The study places dependent territories such as Greenland as it's own "country", rather than being a part of Denmark. Which imo is the right thing to do.
    By that reasoning, each state should be its own "country".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    What is the usual training time for cops in USA? Especially until they are given gun?
    At least two or three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    By that reasoning, each state should be its own "country".
    If states differ in culture as much as Greenland vs the mainland of Denmark, then I would I agree with you.