Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Yes. And it's also the main reason coal is going out of business. You can't expect useful idiots to know that tho.
    A lot of "useful idiots" know that so not sure what your point is or why it matters even if they didn't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I thought it was China that invented global warming to destroy America. Now it's Russia? Make up your minds, guys.
    The Sino-Soviet split was just a ruse.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    To the people obtaining power, so are you and so am I. We are all useful idiots. We simply just lack the self-awareness to see that. We see others are useful idiots, we think we are above them, but in reality what are we? We are them, we are simply useful to the ones in power at a time.
    C O M P L E X T H O U G H T S

Seriously though. I've seen left-leaning liberals defend China in trade and environmental issues, call for the separation of California, question the legitimacy of our electoral process, environmentalist groups rallying against fracking AND nuclear, defend blatant protectionism from Canada. Useful idiots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SignalBlitzkrieg View Post
    Fracked gas is not 100x less pollution or debatably less polluting or more environmentally friendly at all.
    Explain. 10char.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    A lot of "useful idiots" know that so not sure what your point is or why it matters even if they didn't.
    Then, why are they rallying against fracking? It's literally helping their cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    C O M P L E X T H O U G H T S

Seriously though. I've seen left-leaning liberals defend China in trade and environmental issues, call for the separation of California, question the legitimacy of our electoral process, environmentalist groups rallying against fracking AND nuclear, defend blatant protectionism from Canada. Useful idiots.

I guess they would say the same about someone who will be on the other side without really looking into it or oversimplifying arguments, or confusing which side is which and which is an actual issue.

Deleted
    “If you connect the dots, it is clear that Russia is funding U.S. environmental groups in an effort to suppress our domestic oil and gas industry, specifically hydraulic fracking,” Rep. Lamar Smith, Republican Texas, said in a statement.
    Oh the Horror.
    Its unheard of for a country to use its power to influence another country.
    Today, the Senate overwhelmingly approved a bill that would fortify existing sanctions on Russia and add new restrictions...
    This would be a big deal, as it would scupper Russia’s efforts to deliver gas to Europe while bypassing Ukraine, and it would "help" the EU diversify away from Russian energy. It could also be a boon for American companies seeking to export liquefied natural gas to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I guess they would say the same about someone who will be on the other side without really looking into it or oversimplifying arguments, or confusing which side is which and which is an actual issue.
    I'm too wokeTM for such silly nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm too wokeTM for such silly nonsense.
    Ah of course, much too woke to be useful for another.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    A carbon tax reduces emissions? Or just raises the price of energy and hopes people use less?
    Neither. It's a means for wealth redistribution, plain and simple. Anything other claims are window dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boole View Post
    Neither. It's a means for wealth redistribution, plain and simple. Anything other claims are window dressing.
    How does that save the planet?

Wouldn't surprise me, but honestly it doesn't change my opinion that fracking is still gross and ripe with problems. I don't want an oil arms race - I want to see the further development of clean energy and battery technology so that oil becomes obsolete. That would really sink Russia if oil demand plummets.

A carbon tax reduces emissions? Or just raises the price of energy and hopes people use less?
    The latter and it's also a great way to get funding to pay for projects.

How does that save the planet?
    It doesn't. That's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boole View Post
    It doesn't. That's the point.
    So the world still ends but we pay down the federal debt?

Obviously their effort is working. There are over 500 well permits in limbo for the last 3 years in CA. Around 176 in Santa Barbara which were turned down despite recommendations to proceed by the County's Engineering and Environmental Departments. These wells are estimated at over 20 billion barrels. Not only that, they don’t require horizontal fracking, they are relatively shallow and can be done with steam injection. Which makes the extraction cost cheaper than your standard shale oil. I guess the Santa Barbara’s County Board of Supervisors are all Russian’s stooges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then, why are they rallying against fracking? It's literally helping their cause.
    Because fracking isn't all sunshine and rainbows and is still harmful to the environment even if its less so compared to coal? Or can "useful idiots" not argue against multiple things at the same time?

And "their cause" is not to maliciously ruin fossil fuel industries it's simple cleaner energy over all.
    Last edited by Dug; 2017-07-18 at 06:19 PM.

Deleted
    Russia seems to be used as a scapegoat for almost anything these days.

So much even that whenever they actually are behind something, no one believes it anymore or even cares.

That actually work. You make energy cost more and they will use less. Here is an interesting table. The bottom 4 states use 1/5th to 1/4th of the top 4 states in per capita energy consumption.

https://www.eia.gov/state/rankings/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Obviously their effort is working. There are over 500 well permits in limbo for the last 3 years in CA. Around 176 in Santa Barbara which were turned down despite recommendations to proceed by the County's Engineering and Environmental Departments. These wells are estimated at over 20 billion barrels. Not only that, they don’t require horizontal fracking, they are relatively shallow and can be done with steam injection. Which makes the extraction cost cheaper than your standard shale oil. I guess the Santa Barbara’s County Board of Supervisors are all Russian’s stooges.
    It's Commiefornia m8.