Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never buying anything Apple. They are complete and utter dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I think it's the opposite, actually. In my experience, Apple haters are far more vocal.
    The haters of Apple are a lot more intense in their posts than the people that like Apple. The people that hate Apple seem to have a complete and total obsession with hating Apple products, and anyone who buys them.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Apple thinks they can charge $900 for a phone?! OMG, HOW DO IDIOTS FALL FOR IT?!"

"Google Pixel XL for $900?! I'M THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN, BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Apple could require buyers to be anally probed with each phone purchase that shocks you every time you start your phone and you would still see people bending over, thanking Apple, and then boasting about it on the internet .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    The haters of Apple are a lot more intense in their posts than the people that like Apple. The people that hate Apple seem to have a complete and total obsession with hating Apple products, and anyone who buys them.
    Pretty much, yeah. Sure, some people are obsessed with Apple and their products, but on average, those that hate Apple - for whatever reason - are a lot more vocal about it. Instead of simply not buying their products and accepting that people can spend their money on products they want - and that there is nothing wrong with a person preferring an iPhone over something else (and thus buying it).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    What people seem to forget or ignore, is that most flagship phones by any company often costs exactly the same is the latest iPhone.
    Google phones, latest Samsung. Same price all around. If this new Apple phone will be 1200, so will the new Samsung etc.
    Samsung S8 €700 - iPhone 7 Plus €900 (and that's the cheapest iPhone 7 Plus version).

You could argue that the S8+ is competing with the iPhone 7 Plus, but the specs are so far ahead of that phone, that instead it's going to be a competitor of the iPhone 8 Plus, which most likely is going to cost €1050 baseline model.

Which means that the S8+ Is going to be much cheaper than the iPhone 8 Plus.

So what Samsung is doing... is introducing their new hardware at the price point of the current and older iPhone's, but when Apple releases their new iPhone it's going to be well ahead in price of the current and best Samsung, whilst not really offering much better specs.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2017-07-17 at 11:05 AM.

Why did the $20 cell phone become extinct? #SmartphonesAreOverpriced

"Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Samsung S8 €700 - iPhone 7 Plus €900 (and that's the cheapest iPhone 7 Plus version).
    Both, Samsung and Apple state very similar numbers as the price for the S8 Plus and 7 Plus on their websites though - and even on sites like Amazon, the price difference between the two Plus-models (it makes no sense comparing the normal S8 to the 7+) is much smaller than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Never buying anything Apple. They are complete and utter dicks.
    Based off of what?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    That's a much more important point than the mere price. Also: With Non-Apples, I have the choice to buy phones in very differing price ranges that are still technologically and software-wise up to speed, but differ in build quality and accessories. Apple doesn't provide any choice, one size fits all, max-price for everybody. And Apple users are way more okay to deal with some of the things they try to pull off than any sane tech user should be, simply because "it's Apple! It can't suck!". That's my main issue with Apple deciples.

It's like two car companies, one offering only the Porsche for a stiff price, the other offering anything from a Prius to a Maserati, with the Porsche-equivalent models costing less than the Porsche itself, but also with the option to aim much higher AND much lower, but still get "the latest model". In different classes, that is. That is why you also find phones that cost MORE than the latest iPhone. But rest assured that it'll be better in some regards then, too. That's an invalid way to try to prove anything.
    iPhones are also a sign of non-tech-savy people that desire an iPhone simply becasue they have been told how great it is, and that nothing else would satisfy them. I'm specifically thinking of those little spoiled brats that throw a tantrum if it's an up-market Android under the xmas tree instead of a holy iPhone. That's the overall mentality I think of with regard to Apple-only users, with very few exceptions.

And it's precisely this "idiocy" that leads to Apple-haters being so vocal. We just cannot believe what people go along with just to follow a media-dictated trend, whereas the technological alternatives provide a much wider playing field. Especially stunning in America, since you guys value your freedoms oh so much, but a vendor lock-in is suddenly not just okay but desirable. It's almost like a naive daddy-issues thing. And yeah, some just aren't okay with a company that milks this excessively, no matter if some of their products have actual merit. The latter isn't even really the debate.
    I only buy apple phones because I have horrible times with android, sure I liked the phone in the beginning but once it came around to update time and new os versions... that's when things went to shit on flagship phones so I was like well fuck that. They also never fixed issues that updates caused which apple always does.

My apple phone wasn't expensive I paid under 500 for it like 475 for it. It's just a 64 gig 6s. I didn't want the 7 because I needed a headphone jack (though now I have bluetooth headphones so I probably could have gotten the 7).

The reason I like apple is because it is a nice ecosystem, it is perfectly synched with my MBP, it never has given me any issues ever from the to the 6s. I've had android phones where photos and videos would randomly disappear because for some odd reason the extension type changed and now it isn't showing my in gallery. I asked other android users and they confirmed it happens to them from time to time and I'm like well what the fuck is this shit. Why would you pay the same or more than the cost of an apple phone for a flagship Samsung or lg device that doesn't perform near perfect all the time.

The other issue I have is the menus and settings. I just did not like them they are just not likable. I don't customize my phones so this whole "but you can do so much with android" is totally lost on me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post

You could argue that the S8+ is competing with the iPhone 7 Plus, but the specs are so far ahead of that phone, that instead it's going to be a competitor of the iPhone 8 Plus, which most likely is going to cost €1050 baseline model.

Which means that the S8+ Is going to be much cheaper than the iPhone 8 Plus.

So what Samsung is doing... is introducing their new hardware at the price point of the current and older iPhone's, but when Apple releases their new iPhone it's going to be well ahead in price of the current and best Samsung, whilst not really offering much better specs.
    That's not what that means... typically apple will drop the older model 7+ by a hundred and release the 8+ at the old 7+ price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Apple could require buyers to be anally probed with each phone purchase that shocks you every time you start your phone and you would still see people bending over, thanking Apple, and then boasting about it on the internet .
    why does someone owning an apple bother you?

It is just fucking stupid lol.

The reason people like iPhones is because of their build quality and consistency. I liked my android phones, I fucking hated their lack of consistency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    "Apple thinks they can charge $900 for a phone?! OMG, HOW DO IDIOTS FALL FOR IT?!"

"Google Pixel XL for $900?! I'M THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN, BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!"
    Why do you need that much storage on a phone with all possible stream and cloud solutions out there, something i don't really get.

I guess some people install an application for every minor thing or store massive amounts of music. Beyond that i don't see why you would need that much storage room unless it's work related.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Why do you need that much storage on a phone with all possible stream and cloud solutions out there, something i don't really get.

I guess some people install an application for every minor thing or store massive amounts of music. Beyond that i don't see why you would need that much storage room unless it's work related.
    You mean travel related. If you need ~128gb for work, you need a tablet instead of a phone.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might just upgrade to the 6 when that one comes out. I tend to stay 2 gens behind. I got the 4 for a dollar when the 6 came out and the 5s for 20 dollars when the 7 came out

Also that lulzy moment when the new Iphone is prob stronger than the switch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    why does someone owning an apple bother you?

It is just fucking stupid lol.

The reason people like iPhones is because of their build quality and consistency. I liked my android phones, I fucking hated their lack of consistency.
    Calm down, it was a joke.

People are free to spend their money on whatever they fancy. If I however rolled out a cart pulled by a donkey and told people that it's amazing and gets me from point A to point B and I paid thousands for it, that would earn me a few overt stares as well. Point still stands that owning Apple products has become a fad at this point even though they offer nowhere near your money's worth of customization as far as their phones and laptops are concerned. They are blatantly overpriced for what they offer, constantly change their charging apparel which are also overpriced, once again little to no customization allowed on their hardware unless you jailbreak them, and have convinced people that you are paying for a superior product which might be true in a few ways but as I said before, the amount you are paying doesn't translate well
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

If you want a little more than 32GB, you don't have much of a choice.

Deleted
    Dont give them ideas. Or at least charge for it.

Calm down, it was a joke.

People are free to spend their money on whatever they fancy. If I however rolled out a cart pulled by a donkey and told people that it's amazing and gets me from point A to point B and I paid thousands for it, that would earn me a few overt stares as well. Point still stands that owning Apple products has become a fad at this point even though they offer nowhere near your money's worth of customization as far as their phones and laptops are concerned. They are blatantly overpriced for what they offer, constantly change their charging apparel which are also overpriced, once again little to no customization allowed on their hardware unless you jailbreak them, and have convinced people that you are paying for a superior product which might be true in a few ways but as I said before, the amount you are paying doesn't translate well
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    So the s7 edge wasn't a fad? They aren't blatantly overpriced? ALL FLAG SHIPS ARE AROUND THE SAME PRICE You are putting all emphasis on "ooh but customization" many don't care about that... they just want a reliable phone that works and allows you to play games and run apps.

- - - Updated - - -

I never had any issues of the sort with my so far 3 Android ones. I guess experiences just differ, and some people have bad luck maybe. For me, they all ran rock solid until they broke because of physical "injury" - except for the 3rd one. That one is still going strong.

DUUUUDE!! i consider 475 to be a HECK of a fortune to spend on what ultimately is a tech-toy! We have COMPLETELY differing ideas of what is an okay price for such devcies. Completely. Anything north of 200 would have to REALLY convince that it has a feature I REALLY love and would use often. It's not even that I couldn't afford it. But I'm not ready so shell out that amount for a mere phone, ESPECIALLY not every 1-2 years with a steady rise to the price.

And that is the ONLY reason I can see for using Apple. Not that it couldn't be the same for Android (or Windows, lulz), but if you tried different things with a neutral approach and decided to go either way, I'm a lot less judgy. But how many Apple deciples ever USED anything else for any significant amount of time? (And before you ask: Yeah, I have used / use Apple stuff out of neccessity for my job. But mostly as test-devices, not for daily use.)

As I said, I wouldn't. I'm happy with the CHEAPER options that actually exist in the Android market and never had any of the issues you describe with any of those.

Fair point. I like the software, and I would feel heavily limited if I couldn't do some of the things I do to customize. A matter of preference.

But all these points that I admit to being on your side about are still not near an excuse for supporting an almost sect-like company that heavily overestimates its innovative powers.
    There are a few things that go into making an iPhone worth it at 475 and even "cheap".

iPhones have great value retention so when it comes time to upgrade I can easily sell my phone at not too steep a cost and just buy last years iPhone (for whatever year I decide to do this. I also ended up selling my 6 for $250 and buying the 6s for $475 so only a difference of $225) iPhones are supported far longer than android phones the typical life of an iPhone is something like 7+ years it is the longest support in the industry. They're solid built phones that retain their value for a long time and are also supported for a very long time compared to competitors. The cost of owning an iPhone is cheaper once you factor in resale and rebuying, it is the same with owning a MacBook Pro over a pc. A laptop or pc will virtually be worth anything from 20% or nothing of its original price often times while a damn 6 year old Macbook is worth like half or so of its original value.

A cheap phone for me basically boils down to comparison of prices with other flagships and then their resale cost. cost of ownership once you factor in resale is often much cheaper for an iPhone and when you factor in support and how long the phones can last with that support... it is just cheaper. You don't have to get a new phone as often if you want the phone to be supported.

I had the lg g2 when it first came out, I really loved the phone, hated the menus but I grew used to them (I was coming from an iPhone) I liked the bigger screen and all. And then the new os came out and I wasn't able to get it for something like 6-7 months because it is determined by carrier and the phone company. So once I got it and updated it totally screwed up my wifi to the point where I had constant disconnects every few seconds. I also has the lg g3 and I had the same issue there, the phones weren't supported and there were no more updates. That was enough to turn me completely off of androids.

Androids are pretty much just an open market tons of manufacturers and tons of carriers all with differing rules when it comes to who gets what update and when, not to mention they are supported for far less time. Some phones have only gone 3-4 years before they are no longer updated, which is pitiful. If you wanted to stay current with the operating systems which isn't too much to ask you either have to jail break your phone or buy a new phone. It is not the fault of android per se but the fault of all the manufacturers of the phones.

applications also are not as nice on android. I missed the look and feel of applications when I started using android phones they are just so well polished on apple. The reason for this is that everyone pretty much runs the same operating system and they all have similar screens since they are flagship phones and there aren't so many other types iPhones. aesthetics are built into the way applications are built in iOS and it is easy to maintain that consistency across applications because of the reason I mentioned already. This isn't the case with android, even applications that have enough money to pay to have several versions some very nice for high end android devices and other versions for other phones, they don't do that... there's just an odd disconnect I feel with having a premium android phone for $700 with applications that look like they were made for a $50 blu.

I have used pc pretty much all my life, I never wanted an apple computer because I considered them over priced; however, nowadays if I wanted a laptop with the same type of build quality as a Mac book pro I would have to end up spending 900+ dollars which is how much the mbp would cost me anyway.

I pretty much only have a MacBook Pro now for iOS development, but I much prefer it to my other laptop (a Lenovo Thinkpad) which cost actually more than this and doesn't run anywhere near as well.

Another thing I find super annoying with androids is that by the time the phone comes out (flagships with the latest software) a new android os is either out or coming out that the flagship won't get until way way later to the point where an even newer one is coming out you're basically always half a year or so behind whatever google is doing, unless you get one of google's phones, which are the same price or more expensive than iPhones if you go with their flagship premium phone.
    Last edited by Themius; 2017-07-17 at 06:37 PM.

While factually true, I consider this to be part of the undesired hype. Re-sell values are super inflated for Apple products, simply because it's Apple. At least that's how I percieve it. Thus, to me, that's not really an argument for Apple, but rather another aspect of an argument against it. (In an admittedly wierd way.)

That I don't understand. If I don't even plan on getting a flashy new bragging-item, why even use it in any comparison - or at least why lend any relevance to it?

The support side I can't really comment on, since I don't have enough facts for that. But what the long "cut-off cycles" definitely cost Apple is the ability to innovate and re-invent. You just can't change much in your hardware if you still plan on supporting legacy hardware 5 generations old. It's a matter of weighing one against the other I guess.

That's just unfair. You had an issue with LG, not Android. And I will happily admit that the one LG phone I had was, compared to my later ones, pretty bad. In terms of quality and software. I never had any issues or lingering desires for updates with Samsung, and lack experience with any other manufacturer. But LG certainly isn't the top brand to get for a phone, but that's entirely NOT Androids fault.

That is true, however still not a problem of Android itself. But even then: I once walked around with an Android OS 2 generations (read: major version numbers) behind. And the phone still worked, I was able to phone people, take notes, had my calendar, email, whatsapp, ... everything I needed it to do. I had no desire for an update, as it would not had provided me with anything I missed. So why care?

And also a questionable desire to have. Why crave the newest if the step before does all you need it to do? This is again a sign of vanity to me.

Uhhhh, getting into an area where I have REAL gripes with Apple here . I have NEVER felt this "governed" and ripped off my design-freedom more than when developing for iPhones. I find it to be a HUGE no-no how they have the audacity to review third party software to the point of disassembly, and dictate some things into such detail that it's impossible to establish and sort of look and feel yourself. Imagine if Adobe wasn't allowed to look like they do on Windows. Or Fruity-Loops. These products would probably have failed massively if it weren't for their unique, tailored to the task UIs.
    I work in industrial automation, and our plant-control software is way off anything that looks like Apple or Windows, and is quite a niche, especially UI-wise. If we were required to make a fully fledged design for Apple devices, no one would buy it. Our software is especially desireable by our customers for the tailored UI and ease of use for the task at hand, but it would NEVER pass any Apple screening. (Not to mention that you have to pay for this sharade, too, as a dev. Pffft. Bugger off!)
    This is where we land at the dreaded app store. There just is NO other way to get software onto these shitty little bastards than through the store, which we would never get into, and also never would want to, since we can't have our customer-tailored software openly available. (They contain secrets of our customers, often regarding detailed manufacturing recepies and such.) What does Apple offer then? An in-house store for E2E coorperate use. It costs a fucking fortune and is made for big companies. Hence not for us, a small ~10 people engineering office, that just can't afford to set up such an E2E store for each and every customer.
    But since the CEOs of our customers don't know this, we need to explain why we won't deliver anything for iPads in great detail, and probably also look bad in the process. Because media has taught them that ONLY APPLE is the leading tech everyone "cool" wants, and so do they. (Aside from the fact that there are no ruggedized versions of it, and they would probably need to replace them on a monthly basis the way the operators handle their equipment.)

As I said: Quite a can of worms, I deliberately didn't bring into play so far.

Why do you NEED the super duper latest OS versions? If no one told you that it was due to be released, would you still miss it? Don't you think that this is the approach Apple uses? "Don't tell and instill desires we can't live up to for a few weeks to come, ony tell right before it's polished." Android doesn't have that luxury, since their system is open to many manufacturers that REQUIRE a head start to get their next phones ready in order to be competetive, and they also require unpolished versions, which make it look like it should be out already. Apple handles that all internally, and thanks to some presumed draconic NDAs it seldom leaks detailed enough to have any effect.
    But again: I just don't understand what makes people want "the lastest shit" SO BAD that it somehow makes their (actually) current tech any worse. People are WIERD man!

New operating systems typically come with updates to several major applications some of them very very useful with new capabilities. This is something you will always miss out on if you can't update. Which means at times you are forced to get a new phone because if you wanted new features that you would find useful you wouldn't be able to get them. This happens with apple too; however, it just takes a very long time, longer than it does for android and pc.

I had an issue with lg I also didn't like the galaxy when I was using one for about a week. I like the idea of android and the customization; however, in practice I never actually do any of it and just end up disliking the ecosystem. When it comes to innovation, I don't see the real issues here... as it is now phones are in a very nice spot all flagships are in a nice spot. What new major innovations have come outside of apple lately that aren't just gimmicks? Eventually something will happen but I just don't see it from any company, nothing ground breaking at least.

The last innovative thing I at least personally enjoyed has been force touching on Mac books and 3d touching on the iPhone.

I rarely even use the built-in apps. Almost everything I use daily I got from third parties, and third party solutions usually do a better job at staying compatible with older OSs. Also the apps that Google itself provides are usually well usable on older versions with little to no cuts in functionality. Off the top of my head, I cannot recall any such thing ever ocurring for me.

I also don't customize the hell out of my phone, because I find the standard way Andriod is structured easy to use. It's mostly pure eye candy I like to add (and often also subtract). Customization might be an often used argument, but is a very weak one in my eyes. There are far more important issues with Apple, but none of them are very visible to the average consumer.
    This is also a point for why it's hard to speak out against Apple, and why many such convos tend to get rather heated. You often need to deal with entirely non-techy people that also have little knowledge of how coorperations work, and thus many of the important arguments are entirely lost on them. For people like me it's a technical and ideological issue. For many consumers the "feel" is the only metric that matters. It's hard to talk to each other under these premises.

Which I don't even really consider an actual innovation. Pressure-sensitive touch sensing has been around since attack-aware electric pianos were invented (at latest), and most screens of the actually older tech (capacitive) had the theoretical ability to do this by design - it was just rarely used. There are also some niche devices that use this technique, albeit for different things. The "innovation" is that they took such a sensor, plugged it into a phone and doctored a bit of (technically very mundane) software around it. Yet people lose their shit about it. I'll never get hypes like this.
    Is it a nice idea? Hell yeah it is! Did anyone ask for it? Nah. Does it offer anthing you really couldn't do before? Nope. Is it entirely new tech? Not in the slightest. It's a mere feature very few apps and users could put to really good use or even make it required, but it is, like many such "innovations", especially from Apple, cheered like s second coming or something.
    I'm even almost certain that I wouldn't want it, as I could see myself constantly using the wrong pressure in the wrong places when half-brainedly handling my phone. Just as I was quite appalled by the "edge" Samsung introduced. These fickle thin things are already difficult to hold, especially for a big-finger like me. I don't need half of the places where I still had a grip to ALSO result in unintentional "clicks", and I also am very fond of silicone sleeves for protection, which would have to retract a good bit and expose the screen exactly in the most vulnerable places. It could offer me no functionality that would even begin to offset the increased inconvenience - in both cases.

I make heavy use of pressure touches and touch gestures on my laptop it's just really useful for me. I like everything being in full screen and it is extremely convenient to switch between the screens.

It blows my mind that people I know are willing to pay that much when literally all they do is make calls, send text/Facebook messages, watch funny videos that have been shared on Facebook, and take photos to post on Instagram.

Ah the woes of tiny screens. I got myself 3 large monitors with the middle one being 4K, and my stuff floats about and is spread around in a way I grew to like. I could never cope with just one little tiny screen, at least not for long. (I have to when in the field, but it does cause me some notable discomfort - it would so with a different way to swap top windows as well.) Looks like we have very different approaches to our workflow and tastes.

Exactly!! This fellow here gets it!
    I use a second 28 inch monitor which I have several fill screens also on. It has just made me more productive than when I was on my pc. I don't do a lot on my phone but I do like a certain build quality and speed