Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Together, pit bulls (28) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 91% of the total recorded deaths in 2015. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 11-year period of 2005 to 2015.
    The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 11-year period. From 2005 to 2015, pit bulls killed 232 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 41, about one citizen every 98 days.
    In the year of 2015, the combination of pit bulls (28), their close cousins, American bulldogs (2), and rottweilers (3) contributed to 97% (33) of all dog bite-related fatalities. Both American bulldog fatalities occurred in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
    http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2015.php

Hard to find good stats on it but pitbulls appear to make up about 5% of dogs in the US.

Have to say it doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    So...um...

American Bully dog ≠ Pitbull

Did anyone notice that? Title is slightly misleading. Most people are arguing over the wrong breed in relation to the article.
    It's... a crossbreed of Pitbulls and Staffordshire Terriers?
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-07-19 at 06:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    See you in jail scumbag.

- - - Updated - - -

What is so much?
    Sorry, but there will be zero jailtime involved if I or my family feel threatened by a strange dog in our yard and I felt the need to put it down in order to keep us safe. And the cops around here wouldn't think twice about someone like me putting down a potentially dangerous and unsupervised dog that is on MY property. Hell, most of them would thank me for saving them the trouble of shooting it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This is why pit-bulls are more often to be involved in bite attacks... because besides not being neutered as often anything that looks similar is considered a pit-bull.
    I'm no expert on dog breeding but pitbulls have a very specific look, so I'd assume that any dog that looks like a pitbull is probably a member of a related breed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    It completely baffles me that people don't understand that specific breeds have been bred specifically for strength and aggressiveness for centuries or more. That isn't going to change overnight, nor is it going to just because you want your dog to not be aggressive. It is literally bred into them to be that way. Sure, some of them can be gentle and tame (my sister has a pit bull that has acted like a psuedo-mother to both of her kids, the dog absolutely loves them), but in general, it doesn't take much for their ancestry to kick in. But nobody sees it that way. "Let's blame the owners!" Yeah, that's only part of the problem, and not even all the time. If my sister's dog suddenly snaps and attacks either her, the kids, or someone else, I will be the first to back her up that she has raised that dog with love and care. But in the end, it's an aggressive breed that suddenly became aggressive. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Being allowed to keep such abominations is the only thing justifying people to carry firearms imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm no expert on dog breeding but pitbulls have a very specific look, so I'd assume that any dog that looks like a pitbull is probably a member of a related breed.
    As you said, you're no expert.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2015.php

Hard to find good stats on it but pitbulls appear to make up about 5% of dogs in the US.

Have to say it doesn't look good.

It's... a crossbreed of Pitbulls and Staffordshire Terriers?

Pitbulls bite at about the same rates as any other dog when neutered. The problem is that while many many dogs are neutered there seems to be a much higher chance for a pitbull to not have been. Also most pitbulls are free or low cost and gotten from a pound and their owners just often are not good owners. It is not the fault of the breed and dogs bite is basically a propaganda site...

10+ Year Old Account
    Pitbulls are kind and gentle creatu.... KEEP IT AWAY FOR IT IS THE DEVIL ITSELF!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Keep telling that to yourself that, your thing. I don't care. And to answer your "The pack leader cannot be expected to be present at all times." it's quite simple. Some people know their shit, some don't and that's not even human to dog relationship related. I know enough that I wouldn't let any pets near you. Remember this: energy.
    I'm always impressed by people who can use so many words to say so little.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Pitbulls are kind and gentle creatu.... KEEP IT AWAY FOR IT IS THE DEVIL ITSELF!

fixed pitbulls bite at the same rates as any other neutered dog (when they're fixed) Also that dog doesn't look like a pitbull. it looks like an American bully.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    It completely baffles me that people don't understand that specific breeds have been bred specifically for strength and aggressiveness for centuries or more. That isn't going to change overnight, nor is it going to just because you want your dog to not be aggressive. It is literally bred into them to be that way. Sure, some of them can be gentle and tame (my sister has a pit bull that has acted like a psuedo-mother to both of her kids, the dog absolutely loves them), but in general, it doesn't take much for their ancestry to kick in. But nobody sees it that way. "Let's blame the owners!" Yeah, that's only part of the problem, and not even all the time. If my sister's dog suddenly snaps and attacks either her, the kids, or someone else, I will be the first to back her up that she has raised that dog with love and care. But in the end, it's an aggressive breed that suddenly became aggressive. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Shar peis are objectively the most aggressive dog breed and you don't hear much about their attacks because they're rare... they cost thousands and their owners are usually responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The attacks are rare because Shar Peis are one of the rarest breeds.
    The attacks are rare because their owners are spending thousands on them and are responsible. not picking them up at pounds for $0-$25.

don't you just love when images get posted out of context and then used as "proof" in meme form? not to mention taking examples of extremes and claiming that they are baseline, ignoring majority of evidence that the baseline is nowhere near extreme?

and btw... funny story. the bully type dogs bred for fighting? were NOT bred for fighting humans, unlike oh... say mastiffs. they were bred for fighting bulls and eventually other dogs. interesting thing about these fights is that HUMAN owners need to be able to pull dogs out of the fighting haze, without getting mauled themselves. even dogs bred for fighting? were specifically bred to be NOT aggressive to humans, becasue the last thing you need is for your own dog to maul you as you are pulling them out of the ring. (I abhor dog fighting and fighting animals for entertainment in general, but me hating something in history =/= ignoring its existence) but who cares about facts and actual history, right? right? we have agenda of fear to push.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Oh sweet irony. Can we apply the same logic to overly aggressive people, I mean I wouldn't want my family to be around someone like you, and the potential harm you obviously present.
    Agreed, his black and white viewpoint worries me. Kill the entire species because of the few that manage to make headlines because of fear mongering. The headlines never say "Kill All German Shepards/Insert Other Large Dog Breed Here That Has Ever Harmed A Human"...

As for the article, that owner has done a terrible job with these dogs. Not getting punished enough for it. As for the dogs, now that they have attacked someone, maybe it is best they be dealt with... I don't really believe in rehab for them once they've already done it once... It's just tied to how they've always been raised/treated. I don't think there is a cure for it.
    Last edited by Acideyeliner; 2017-07-19 at 03:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the owner was a piece of shit and it's the dog/breed's fault? Sounds pretty normal for one of these threads.

I mean just look at all of these vicious fighting dogs mauling these kids alive. Cold blooded.

Also, the dogs from the article weren't pitbulls, but everyone seemed to think they were automatically. Sounds pretty racist to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    fixed pitbulls bite at the same rates as any other neutered dog (when they're fixed) Also that dog doesn't look like a pitbull. it looks like an American bully.
    Don't know where you get your info but according to this website the pitbull is by far the biggest offender when it comes to biting. Also according to wikipedia the American bully was breed from the pitbull. From Wikipedia "Founded in the United States between 1980 and 1990, the American Bully was produced using a foundation of American Staffordshire Terriers and American Pit Bull Terriers bred to several bulldog-type breeds".

And while you can say it's a different breed but dog breeds are completely arbitrary. A dangerous dog is a dangerous dog no matter what category you decide to put it in.

Point of order: American Bully dogs are not Pit Bull Terriers.

Deleted
    Simple, owners should be punished as those who were trying murder or if the dogs would actually killed someone, as murderers themselves.

Then the amount of those useless pit bulls would decline in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    See you in jail scumbag.

- - - Updated - - -

What is so much?
    yeah if the dog is in his yard he wont see jail time or even a charge... or lose a law suit. I have a neighbor up the street that has some breed of dogs that are large and aggressive to anyone that gets by. They also dig at the fence, if one ever gets out and gets in my yard its dead as well. When i used to run on my street vs the park, i ran on the wrong side of the street to avoid their yard and always carried at least a knife just in case (yes i know its a not much help but better than nothing)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Don't know where you get your info but according to this website the pitbull is by far the biggest offender when it comes to biting. Also according to wikipedia the American bully was breed from the pitbull. From Wikipedia "Founded in the United States between 1980 and 1990, the American Bully was produced using a foundation of American Staffordshire Terriers and American Pit Bull Terriers bred to several bulldog-type breeds".

And while you can say it's a different breed but dog breeds are completely arbitrary. A dangerous dog is a dangerous dog no matter what category you decide to put it in.

I didn't say that pitbulls aren't common in bites. My point is fixed pitbull bites are about the same as any other fixed dog the overwhelming majority of these bits are by unfixed dogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acideyeliner View Post
    Agreed, his black and white viewpoint worries me. Kill the entire species because of the few that manage to make headlines because of fear mongering. The headlines never say "Kill All German Shepards/Insert Other Large Dog Breed Here That Has Ever Harmed A Human"...

As for the article, that owner has done a terrible job with these dogs. Not getting punished enough for it. As for the dogs, now that they have attacked someone, maybe it is best they be dealt with... I don't really believe in rehab for them once they've already done it once... It's just tied to how they've always been raised/treated. I don't think there is a cure for it.
    It's pretty obvious if anyone wants to own one of these dogs breeds then special care needs to be done to ensure nobody gets hurt. Cause where I live these incidents aren't new. In one of the bellow articles a Bullmastiff killed a 13 year old boy. Not exactly a pitbull, but I bet a Bullmastiff owner will also tell me it's the owners fault and they're a fine dog breed.

We're not talking about Paris Hilton yuppie dog type dogs here. These dogs are very much capable of killing, and while faithful to the owner, they can be murderous to others. These type of dogs need special attention, even to the point where we have a device on the dog that can disable it if something is going wrong.

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ss...olice_say.html

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/ind...pitalized.html

Lets be reminded how irresponsible a pitbull can be, and how dangerous they can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Just like the picture above you, that video doesn't prove anything. It's cherry-picking 'good' dogs and the responsible owners of them.
    So you agree that the owners are the problem? I'm glad we can come together on this.