The future of wow (minor 7.3 spoilers)

In 7.3, in addition to travelling to Argus and whooping some Legion butt on their home turf, we are also going to be able to travel to other worlds following the legion, to planets they have already attacked / are attacking using some sort of riftstone.

If all of a sudden, wow has multiple planets to choose from, essentially giving them endless lore options or just simply breaking up the monotony of Azeroth, could a "space" theme potentially arise (would it even make sense given its history?)? Or potentially while wow focuses on... the known world, a spin off mmo or game focuses on these newly discovered (inhabited or previously inhabited) worlds?

Other somewhat relation questions I have, were all of the resources from the project TITAN used for overwatch? Or is there a whole bunch of leftover unused ideas, lore, worlds etc, that might be used in some of these new planets.

What do you expect from these new planets? I haven't been on the ptr and I'm not sure if these rifts are even available there yet, but do you expect to find a ragtag bunch of refugees fighting for their lives? Everyone dead? New races, or potentially humanoids of similar Azerothian nature? (Like intelligent murlocs, etc.)

Or do you think blizz will simply eliminate all these "loose ends" with some sort of a legion doomsday planet exploder?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Hopefully this post is in the right place. I'm not super active here, but seeing something about riftstones, gave me an inquisitive itch.

Personally I think they're just going to be small scenarios essentially to help start expanding our view of the games universe to set up the larger scale void threat next expansion but would definitely be cool if they felt a little more fleshed out. Just my 2 cents.

edit: many typos, screw phone typing lol
    Last edited by LightClaw; 2017-07-18 at 09:40 PM.

I expect them to slowly (over the years) drift more and more into getting us into space and new planets.

They have almost total creative freedom with new planets. We've experienced much of Azeroth and there is not a whole lot left we haven't seen (short of south seas).

Obviously they can just redo stuff, but it seems easier and more interesting to go somewhere totally new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I expect them to slowly (over the years) drift more and more into getting us into space and new planets.

They have almost total creative freedom with new planets.
    I would love to see blizzards take on wow in space, or a space mmo, potentially giving the over-hyped and long anticipated star citizen a run for its money. But I think anything... larger scale like that, (multiple planets, new tech) or more in an overall different general direction, would have to be a whole new game, similar to the guild wars route.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvo View Post
    I would love to see blizzards take on wow in space, or a space mmo, potentially giving the over-hyped and long anticipated star citizen a run for its money. But I think anything... larger scale like that, (multiple planets, new tech) or more in an overall different general direction, would have to be a whole new game, similar to the guild wars route.
    WoW engine cant handle space mmo.. and there are quite alot of those already.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't done them myself, but I know at least some of them were already tested. They seem to be small solo/group scenarios, but I have no idea how they actually work. They also (so far) have no completely new models, but that's understandable, because it would be a waste to do completely new models to simulate an alien world if those are only seen for ~30 minutes if even.

We Warcraft 40k now boys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a youtube video from the ice rift, to give you an example of what to expect from them:

Oh it will be totally different than Star Citizen.

Maybe if they did a Starcraft MMO that could have similarities.

WoW will NEVER be anything like that. I'd even imagine there will be humans (or very similar) on whatever planet we go to so it doesn't feel "too" alien.

its just the d3 rift system copy pasted and the lore behind it is we travel to other worlds attacked by legion to cleanse them and kill all the demons

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Here is a youtube video from the ice rift, to give you an example of what to expect from them:

Not sure how I feel about this. Obv the textures and stuff on the PTR might not be complete yet, but the "nothing but ice" planet isn't nearly as cool as I thought these "new worlds" would be...

Deleted
    IWhat do you expect from these new planets?
    I expect them to fully embody what M+ and legiondaries have started: taking fun ideas from Diablo, raping them until dead and inserting the mangled corpses into WoW. Specifically, M+ imported mechanics of Greater Rifts into WoW (without effort-to-droprates ratio that D3 has) and I expect the Many Planets of Legion to import the whole idea of random reuse of assets and completely randomly generated bosses with no meaning and no backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    WoW engine cant handle space mmo.. and there are quite alot of those already.
    There are quite alot of medieval mmos too.

I, for one, would like Universe of Warcraft very much.