Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is Asinine, now hes going to be an anchor baby, and his family will suck at the American teat for generations. Why not just give him a visa so he doesnt get all of the other benefits??

Fucking take him. He's dead. A corpse taking up a perfectly good hospital bed that could be used to treat somebody who can actually get better. They have no idea if he's even in pain right now, because he has no way of communicating his state. He can't breath, blink, anything.

They only want to "treat" him in the US because the parents raised a load of money, and what hospital doesn't want money? He won't get better. The money will run out, and they'll unplug him.

It's all at best misguided, and at worst sadistic and greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    This isn't even a disorder we should be funding research for.
    16 reported people in the planet have had it (obviously a bit more in reality, but not likely more than double).

- - - Updated - - -

Because they're scumbags.
    And that's a grounds not to research because there's not many recorded cases? Any avenue should be explored really because what is discovered can impact everything else. I mean it's how medicine has evolved. That, and research is mostly funded by individual interest. I don't think our personal opinion applies wholly on this case, I donate spare change to Cancer Research UK because I've seen death looming over my child firsthand, I've experienced a terrifying ordeal with cancer (and not pretending I'm better, I just know it takes a bigger effort to help out the cause - money, time, people, it's not free) but people who have the money will want to hand it out to these teams for research.

And they already have data on it. It's not a case as shouldn't, it's a case we've only scratched the surface as it was said (though worded differently) there wasn't enough data to say 100%. You cannot categorically say this rare illness will remain rare, 15 people before him have cropped up with it, there's no way to say that will be the end of it, there's no way to say there will be any more and who will get it. Least prepare for it and from studying it, find new things.
    Heck things like the Pneumonic Plague was still in Madagascar in 2015, yet people believe it to this age-old long-gone pandemic disease that stopped killing millions centuries ago. It's even had a new outbreak in this year. You're going to tell me, it's not worth looking into even though it kills a mere amount of people compared to the world population?

There has been money thrown somewhere for those experimental treatments to exist. That and the family with donations are trying to get there to use those treatments.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-07-19 at 02:43 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    I'd like to think that if I become a parent, i'd have the resolve to act in the best interest of my child. Having seen this story so often here in the UK, I can't help but think of the parents as selfish and unable to let go for prolonging the childs suffering.
    This is one of those things that people say that kind of annoys me, along the lines of "When I have a child I will be a perfect parent, I will always make time for them, I will open their eyes to the wonders of the world and teach them to be the best that they can be and on and on."

When you actually have kids of your own, in reality, and not in your head, your life changes. Your priorities change. Your thoughts and feelings change. You change. You have NO IDEA how you respond and react in these situations as an outside observer because they aren't your fucking kids. It's possible to be dispassionate and rational then, that's why the doctors are right. But to criticize the parents for following every instinct that a normal human being has toward their children is just disgusting.

They want their child to live, they are holding onto any hope however slim that it's still possible. No they aren't thinking rationally, because it's their son.

The courts and doctors are right, of course they are. But that doesn't mean the parents are wrong. It certainly doesn't mean they're selfish or cruel. It means they're human.

Again, this is a tragic case where everyone involved is right and no one wins.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2017-07-19 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Such a ridiculous effort to try to save the life of someone who is going to die anyway soon.
    That's not the point. It's not the hospitals choice to end his life if this is true. It would be the parents making that decision for their child. And these parents, unlike you (who i am guessing has no kids), want to do everything they can to help him.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/19/he...ncy/index.html

The amendment is attached to a controversial bill that includes funds for Trumps wall.
    This takes the PR points perspective to even greater heights as they are also using it to shame people into voting for a bill they don't want.

Fucking disgusting.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Seeking political gain through the exploitation of a terminally ill baby must be an all time low, even for a twitter troll like trump.
    It will get lower man. He is a man that excels and finding the floor and then pulling out the shovel and digging a little deeper. Ratings are ratings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/19/he...ncy/index.html

The amendment is attached to a controversial bill that includes funds for Trumps wall.
    This takes the PR points perspective to even greater heights as they are also using it to shame people into voting for a bill they don't want.

Fucking disgusting.
    Sickening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I see how you get 38000+ posts. Just reply to everything with nothing to say. My point continues.

(you never had one rofl:

yes you did, no you didnt, yes you did, no you didnt

into

but you never did, I did, but you never did, I did)
    So you admit to not being on point? Thank you. Now stop trying so hard, you lack the artistic mind for it.

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-07-19 at 02:30 PM.

It's not about the child himself at this stage. It's about the research, and him being a viable candidate to see if the treatment works in order to help many, many other people.

The kid is already effectively brain dead. He's not suffering, and he's not even a "he" anymore; it's just a sack of biological tissue that could potentially help save a lot of people in the future. And that's a far more noble sacrifice than just pulling some plugs and chunking the body into some dirt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just when you think the Trump administration couldn't get any lower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    It's not about the child himself at this stage. It's about the research, and him being a viable candidate to see if the treatment works in order to help many, many other people.

The kid is already effectively brain dead. He's not suffering, and he's not even a "he" anymore; it's just a sack of biological tissue that could potentially help save a lot of people in the future. And that's a far more noble sacrifice than just pulling some plugs and chunking the body into some dirt.
    Good luck telling the Trump PR team this. Its all about how bad Europe and communist medicine is vs the amazing US system.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post

Except when you ask the parents to pay a million bucks for this 'privilege'.

And many many other people? for one of the most rare conditions in existence?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    This isn't even a disorder we should be funding research for.
    16 reported people in the planet have had it (obviously a bit more in reality, but not likely more than double).

- - - Updated - - -

Because they're scumbags.
    The parents losing their chid and watching them die who want to do everything they can to extend and help are scumbags for that?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can pretty easily tell who is a parent, and who isn't in this thread. I shall join the fray for a moment.

As a father of 2, there is NOTHING I wouldn't do if I thought it could save or help my kids. whether it is 1% 100%. It is what we do. It is not always rational, but it is how we are wired. the parents raised close to 3million dollars, so no cost to the taxpayer. The parents acknowledged that they know it is not a cure-all but they also know there is a chance it will work, and 99 out of 100 parents would do it in a heartbeat.

People can talk about it being a PR stunt all day long, but that is a small-world view on it.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Why/how does US congress care about this? Who put that motion up? Surely the $1-2m dollars involved is to little money for them to care? Is it some political posturing to the UK? Do the parents know a friend of some congressmen?
    The U.S. cherishes the right of individuals to determine their own fate in such matters. The idea of a socialized medical system employing the dreaded "death panel" is so nightmarish to many that the moral majority fall on the side of the parents, no matter how misguided that may be. They're involved because the parents asked, quite publicly, and some questions of morality cannot be ignored.

On the bright side of all this it is an experimental treatment which, if successful, could help others after a proven human trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    That's not the point. It's not the hospitals choice to end his life if this is true. It would be the parents making that decision for their child. And these parents, unlike you (who i am guessing has no kids), want to do everything they can to help him.
    No, they want to do everything to make themselves feel better.
    They are victims themselves whom unscrupulous experimentators want to exploit to get money and an human test subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    This is Asinine, now hes going to be an anchor baby, and his family will suck at the American teat for generations. Why not just give him a visa so he doesnt get all of the other benefits??
    Oh Orlong, the UK has more benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The multitude of doctors are right, though. All the parents are doing is prolonging the inevitable because they're only thinking of themselves and their emotions now.

I get the parents perspective, it's just further damaging to the boy, is all.
    It is damaging to themselves, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The parents losing their chid and watching them die who want to do everything they can to extend and help are scumbags for that?
    They're scumbags for prolonging his death. He has no quality of life, and never will.