Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Not always, no. As linked earlier in this thread, dogs can have an aggressive gene. Also, if you continually breed a bad line (aggression issues, etc), it can lead to more dogs with an increased chance of behavioral issues.
    I agree, that can happen. It can happen in any dog, but these are generally long-standing issues with specific dogs. Growing up I had a lab that was great around our family (and our other dog), but extremely aggressive to anyone else. My parents ended up having to put it down because anytime it saw someone that wasn't us it would snarl and bark and try its hardest to attack them. We lived outside of town out in the country so it wasn't a huge deal but still pretty bad.

I guess my point is that yes, dogs can have issues like that. Some are just plain aggressive and there's little the owners can do. However, most are not like that and it's generally up to the owners to raise the dogs properly and if they know that their dogs are aggressive, they need to take steps to address that or get rid of them. I have no issue with that.

But when someone goes around spouting that an entire breed is dangerous just for being that breed, that is ridiculous and that person needs to be checked out mentally. Applying that thought process to humans would make them a horrible shitty racist and in general, that's how I see it.

Dogs have the potential to be aggressive regardless of breed but it is ultimately up to the owners to address those issues.

large powerful dogs are always potentially dangerous. space cadet owners go further to ensure it. it's unfortunate when someone else's life is ruined because of fashionable dog owners, but at least they end up being sued past the brink of poverty and certainly can't afford to feed a dog from that day forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

It's... a crossbreed of Pitbulls and Staffordshire Terriers?
    It actually tends to be more bulldogs than anything else to get that "squat frog" look. Sometimes mastiffs for "muscle".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    im saying its stupid to pretend that a samoyed or newfoundland is as dangerous or likely to hurt you as a pitbull.
    they never will be inclined to aggression like a pit and it is completely genetic

the statistics are a matter of public record, pitbulls are more dangerous by far than any other breed...even among those meant to fight
    The statistics ignore the important factor upbringing the banned breeds prove this because it keeps changing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Not always, no. As linked earlier in this thread, dogs can have an aggressive gene. Also, if you continually breed a bad line (aggression issues, etc), it can lead to more dogs with an increased chance of behavioral issues.
    Unfortunately that's what is happening; criminals illegally breeding. You're guranteed if Dalmations became popular with thugs that an increase in Dalmation attacks will increase

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Unfortunately that's what is happening; criminals illegally breeding. You're guranteed if Dalmations became popular with thugs that an increase in Dalmation attacks will increase
    This actually already happened with the release of the 101 Dalmation movie. Uptick in adopt rates, attacks, and abandons because it was trendy to get one. Just happened to be another demographic, so no one really cared to ban them as badly. Happens with *every* animal that features in a movie, in fact, but particularly dogs, which leads to shit breeders breeding shit dogs to make a quick buck off morons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    So you agree that the owners are the problem? I'm glad we can come together on this.
    It's the same concept as owning a gun. You can be super responsible and done everything in you power to prevent harm, but what can happen will happen. You can chain a dog up in your yard but a kid that doesn't know better approaches it and gets it's shit torn apart. Same time the chain can snap or even where the chain bolts to can snap. If you play with fire you will get burned.

Dogs are always faithful to their owners and usually to people who live with the owner. That's why a Pitbull is perfectly fine next to your baby, but wants to tear the flesh off of someone else. That is the nature of all dogs, and why even Paris Hilton type dogs are barking at anything but their owner. This is why the best dog to own is one too small to do any real damage. Do not own large dogs cause there's no guarantee they won't turn around and hurt someone. There's no point owning a large dog ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    It's the same concept as owning a gun. You can be super responsible and done everything in you power to prevent harm, but what can happen will happen. You can chain a dog up in your yard but a kid that doesn't know better approaches it and gets it's shit torn apart. Same time the chain can snap or even where the chain bolts to can snap. If you play with fire you will get burned.

Dogs are always faithful to their owners and usually to people who live with the owner. That's why a Pitbull is perfectly fine next to your baby, but wants to tear the flesh off of someone else. That is the nature of all dogs, and why even Paris Hilton type dogs are barking at anything but their owner. This is why the best dog to own is one too small to do any real damage. Do not own large dogs cause there's no guarantee they won't turn around and hurt someone. There's no point owning a large dog ever.

Small dogs have savaged and killed babies so your theory is flawed

10+ Year Old Account

The difference is that guns are weapons artificially made by humans, primarily to kill. Dogs are natural, living creatures with personalities. If your dog acts like that, it's on you as its owner to take care of that. Get better fencing so that can't happen, take the dog to classes, or have it put down if the situation is bad enough.

Pitbulls are not always bad around strangers, in fact very few are. Should we ban humans because a few are vicious and hurt other people? We take that on a case by case basis and put people in prison, dogs are the same. My dog barks at people she sees, but when someone walks up to her she doesn't bite them, she just wants to say hi and be petted. Barking at people doesn't make a dog vicious.

Your stigma against large dogs is silly too. I've seen as many vicious small dogs as vicious large ones. Hell, the small ones tend to be braver than the big ones which seem more likely to run away from a situation. Not sure why you're so afraid of big dogs, but no they shouldn't be banned. That's just ridiculous. People just need to take care of their pets and others need to be careful and always assume something could go bad and be careful. Can't ban everything and live a sheltered life just because you're afraid.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

I had a Newfoundlander who reacetly passed who was 170 Pounds at his peak and he never showed even a hint to any one his whole life. Woth his sear size and how rare Newfoundlanders are he had people come up to him non stop so it's not like he had every chance to be aggressive at some point in his 7 years.

The statistics ignore the important factor upbringing the banned breeds prove this because it keeps changing

- - - Updated - - -
    what doesnt change are the breeds that continually attack, and pitsbulls are miles ahead in that category.
    dogs are not blank slates anymore than humans, their potential is dictated by their genes.

nurture over nature is an excuse for poor behavior

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    I had a Newfoundlander who reacetly passed who was 170 Pounds at his peak and he never showed even a hint to any one his whole life. Woth his sear size and how rare Newfoundlanders are he had people come up to him non stop so it's not like he had every chance to be aggressive at some point in his 7 years.
    and you didn't love your dog anymore than people who own pitbulls love theirs.
    that newfoundland grew up to be what he always was, his potential was written in his blood

no matter how much an english bulldog wants it, he will never be a champion scent hound
    that goes for social behavior and intelligent just as much
    Last edited by truckboattruck; 2017-07-19 at 06:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Small dogs have savaged and killed babies so your theory is flawed
    Like what small dog has killed? I'm talking about a Pris Hilton type dog, not a mutt. This is all I could find and no mention of a small dog.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/gra...baby/443230948

http://abc13.com/news/dog-mauls-2-mo...arcos/1709736/

This is a dog that killed a baby.

This is a small dog. Too small to do any real harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    The difference is that guns are weapons artificially made by humans, primarily to kill. Dogs are natural, living creatures with personalities. If your dog acts like that, it's on you as its owner to take care of that. Get better fencing so that can't happen, take the dog to classes, or have it put down if the situation is bad enough.
    No sorry, a dog was a wolf that man has altered over time to the dogs we have today. Breed to usually kill. We made dogs what they are, and only recently did we want them to be kind and gentle. But some are breed to be vicious attack dogs.

Pitbulls are not always bad around strangers, in fact very few are. Should we ban humans because a few are vicious and hurt other people? We take that on a case by case basis and put people in prison, dogs are the same. My dog barks at people she sees, but when someone walks up to her she doesn't bite them, she just wants to say hi and be petted. Barking at people doesn't make a dog vicious.
    Humans aren't comparable to dogs, not even close. Also using your personal experience doesn't prove dogs aren't inherently dangerous. Just like saying we had a cold winter where I live doesn't disprove that global warming isn't a thing.
    Your stigma against large dogs is silly too. I've seen as many vicious small dogs as vicious large ones. Hell, the small ones tend to be braver than the big ones which seem more likely to run away from a situation. Not sure why you're so afraid of big dogs, but no they shouldn't be banned. That's just ridiculous. People just need to take care of their pets and others need to be careful and always assume something could go bad and be careful. Can't ban everything and live a sheltered life just because you're afraid.
    I think your using my judgment as if I have a personal hatred for dogs. I'm giving you data and you're giving me feels. I have a friend who owns a large pitbull who just can't wait to jump on me in a friendly way. But recently that dog has escaped from his home and has bitten people twice. Once more and the dog is going to be put down. He is certainly irresponsible but that doesn't change how dangerous that dog can be. I'm 6'4" so I'm not afraid of any dog. But where he lives recently a few children have been attacked by pitbulls and the neighborhood is watching his dog very carefully. To him the dog is the kindest being ever to walk the face of the Earth, but fact is it has bitten people. If it happens again that dog will be put to sleep.

I have a neighbor next to me with a sheep dog that is extremely friendly, but it's known to playfully bite children for whatever reason. And the dog is really good at jumping over a fairly large fence.

7+ Year Old Account
    what doesnt change are the breeds that continually attack, and pitsbulls are miles ahead in that category.
    dogs are not blank slates anymore than humans, their potential is dictated by their genes.

nurture over nature is an excuse for poor behavior

- - - Updated - - -

and you didn't love your dog anymore than people who own pitbulls love theirs.
    that newfoundland grew up to be what he always was, his potential was written in his blood

no matter how much an english bulldog wants it, he will never be a champion scent hound
    that goes for social behavior and intelligent just as much
    The person I quoted said ALL dogs were aggressive to people other ten there owners ignoring pitbulla or breeds near them that's just untrue. As to growing into what he always was Newfoundlanders are water rescue dogs yet my dog hates the water and would just bark at nice to come out of it from the shore if we did go in he did not grow to be what he always was.

Bad owner, improper fencing, improper placement of dogs while not on the premises. Shame it happened, I'd rather see the owner charged with criminal negligence and jailed than have the dogs put to sleep however.

The person I quoted said ALL dogs were aggressive to people other ten there owners ignoring pitbulla or breeds near them that's just untrue. As to growing into what he always was Newfoundlanders are water rescue dogs yet my dog hates the water and would just bark at nice to come out of it from the shore if we did go in he did not grow to be what he always was.
    even a hawk has to learn how to fly
    if you deny them that you cannot say it wasnt their nature to fly

if you let the dog warm up to it will swim fine

7+ Year Old Account
    even a hawk has to learn how to fly
    if you deny them that you cannot say it wasnt their nature to fly

if you let the dog warm up to it will swim fine
    No? You really think? We kept him in a destert his whole life so he wouldn't be exposed to the horrors of water who would have thunk that all we had to do was let him swim.

Any way we brought him places he could swim for his whole life he did not like to swim at most he would go into the water drink sole get out as fast as he could he loved the rain and water in general but hated swimming and at most spend 5 min in the water at any one time we lived on a lake he had endless time to get used to it.

No? You really think? We kept him in a destert his whole life so he wouldn't be exposed to the horrors of water who would have thunk that all we had to do was let him swim.

Any way we brought him places he could swim for his whole life he did not like to swim at most he would go into the water drink sole get out as fast as he could he loved the rain and water in general but hated swimming and at most spend 5 min in the water at any one time we lived on a lake he had endless time to get used to it.
    so you think newfoundlands arent water dogs because you found one that couldn't swim?

7+ Year Old Account
    so you think newfoundlands arent water dogs because you found one that couldn't swim?
    Don't know how you could possible get that. My dog did not grow into his genes and grow into the task he was bred for not all dogs do just as not all pitbulls grow to be hyper aggressive.

Don't know how you could possible get that. My dog did not grow into his genes and grow into the task he was bred for not all dogs do just as not all pitbulls grow to be hyper aggressive.
    yes he did, he was what he was meant to be. you just waited and then were surprised when he didnt understand swimming

you probably didnt take him swimming as a puppy so by the time you did he was apprehensive about it.
    ive seen it many times with other water dogs
    by the time you tried, he was so big that trying to coerce him into anything he didnt wanna do was a challenge.

doesnt change the fact that newfoundlands are strong swimmers....and its genetic

yes he did, he was what he was meant to be. you just waited and then were surprised when he didnt understand swimming

you probably didnt take him swimming as a puppy so by the time you did he was apprehensive about it.
    ive seen it many times with other water dogs
    by the time you tried, he was so big that trying to coerce him into anything he didnt wanna do was a challenge.

doesnt change the fact that newfoundlands are strong swimmers....and its genetic
    Yep. There's a reason why Newfoundlands are used as water rescue dogs.

I'm as bored by the irrational Pit-bull (and by extension, dog)-hatred as I am by other fanatical hate groups on the internet whom use the deeds of the few to call for the death/imprisonment/deportation of the many.

Horrible occurence, hope the owner is held accountable and the dog put down. Dog ownership and breeding should be less treated like a right, something one "can just do!", and more like an honor reserved only for the capable.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-07-20 at 12:08 AM.