Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Let them carry their guns in peace
    I don't think there's anything peaceful about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    I don't think there's anything peaceful about that.
    Are they hurting anyone by carrying their guns in peace?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Are they hurting anyone by carrying their guns in peace?
    They could be, if someone decides some asshole walking into McDonalds with an AR is an active shooter and starts a shoot-out. Can you blame them for thinking that? People concealed carry because they want to protect themselves and others. There's zero reason to advertise that you have a gun, and there's zero reason to walk around in public with an AR causing a disturbance. I'm as pro-gun as they come, but open carry is for idiots and only causes problems. Concealed carry or leave it in your vehicle for when you need it (hunting, target shooting, etc.). Otherwise leave it at home. There's no reason to walk around with that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by javen View Post
    My main issue with this is that it only applies to white people. Try being black and really open carrying at all, and see how long it takes for you to be either arrested or killed.
    Black and open carry means he doesn't even make it out of the store. SWAT team will take him down on Aisle 9 between Sporting Goods and the cashier.

I'm much more of an advocate of open carry than conceal. It gives you a visual clue of who to steer clear of.

I do wonder, in open carry states, whether businesses are allowed to deny entry to armed patrons

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Posturing ?
    I mean, behind the veil of self-defense excuse, that's the real reason why people love guns : feeling powerful and stronk and I-don't-take-shit-from-anybody one.
    Yes, carrying openly is stupid, it only makes you a target. But guns aren't about intelligence, they are about dick-waving. From this point of view, showing off your big dick is pretty much the whole point.
    It's always been my impression about open carry too. Wanting a gun for self-defense is a sentiment I understand even if I don't share it, but waving the thing around telling yourself you're tough? It's really a bit pathetic to be honest. Like you're trying so very hard to convince yourself people should respect you.

I'm pretty sure that someone who actually respects what a gun is (IE an instrument for killing) usually wouldn't flex it like it was an extension of their penis. They know it's dangerous, they don't have it flash it. Difference between a guy who just has a well toned body, and another who insists on going around shirtless all the time so people can look at his pecs. At this point you're just being a douchebag fishing for attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow I picture the people practicing open carry just for the kicks as the same people who think that there's ISIS training camps in every liberal US state, that vaccines give your kids autism, that the government is coming for their guns and freedoms and that all Mexicans are illegal immigrants on a blood hunt for their jobs.

From what I've seen in documentaries, news reports and privately recorded video that stereotype seems to be spot on.

Deleted
    I think that a society which suffers from as many gun deaths as america should think about their gun policies.

I dont think that anyone who loves guns is a bad guy only because of that. I just believe there should be additional control to ensure less bad guys are able to get guns.

As like allowing guns only in sport clubs, military and police, and not at home or on the streets.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-07-19 at 04:57 PM.

To be very blunt, I would trust ratherjn the extremely unlikely case that I will ever face armed criminals trained professionals (called ''cops'') over someone who think terrorists might attack the Walmart and who sees the world like a five years old (''bad guyz'' vs ''good guyz'') and whose connection to reality is presumably tenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Guns are too heavy to be lugging around all day. We've had open carry for a long time here in TX, and the only time you see it is @ the gun shows.
    You've had open carry in TX for a pretty short period of time- at least for handguns. It took affect the beginning of last year and is only allowed if you have a permit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    You've had open carry in TX for a pretty short period of time- at least for handguns. It took affect the beginning of last year and is only allowed if you have a permit.
    Well, I've never seen an open carry handgun, ever. But I have seen people with rifles over their backs at gun shows. Never on the street. The most guns I've ever seen in public were when the Dallas police had that shoot out with the crazy guy next to El Cnetro college in downtown Dallas last year or the year before.

Open carry is cool and all, but no one is actually doing it. No one wants to carry around a 9mm all day. Its heavy and cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    So... two thoughts on this. The whole open carry "activism" thing is just idiotic to me. Now, don't misunderstand. I am not against people having the right to own weapons, or open carry them. I think it's fine.

...mostly.

My issue is the attitude with which most of the "activists" conduct themselves.

Thought 1: The biggest example of these idiots, are the youtubers that walk back and forth on a busy road in front of cars and stores, just WAITING for someone to call the police because they just saw some guy parading around with a shotgun or automatic rifle strapped to their back. These people have a RIGHT to be concerned and express that concern to law enforcement. But these youtubers are simply waiting for that moment to bait the police in an ethics and law argument that they can then film to show their arrogant rights off and try to make some kind of stand against the police. I don't understand it at all

YES... I have definitely seen some idiot police who have zero idea of what the laws actually are, and I have seen some youtubers who's goal was to educate. But sadly, these are NOT the norm. Most cops know the law... and when they get a call from someone concerned about an individual with an open weapon, they have a duty to confront them and question them. When you video tape the police, who also often ask you very politely to turn the camera off, you basically thumb your knows at the police in an effort to make a worthless point.

You have effectively become an idiot and appear as the worst of your kind.

Thought 2: I know a LOT of people who open carry, who have a concealed weapons permit. But they LOVE to strut all over town with their holstered gun on their hip. My girlfriends son and his girlfriend are two of these people. They have permits to carry concealed. So I do not get this fascination with flaunting the weapon. In my opinion, which it's perfectly legal to do so, you are putting yourself at potential risk because you are stupid enough to HAVE to open carry to make whatever point it is you're trying to make.

This is an area I have no respect for the guy.
    The bolded part above is contradictory. Assuming open carry is legal in their state, if the officers know the law then they know they cannot detain these people unless they have a reasonable suspicion that they have don't something wrong. Open carry is not enough to meet that burden. This is actually an issue that the Supreme Court has ruled on.

I'm not necessarily supporting these guys that are doing the same kind of "look at me" crap the the leftist protesters that they complain about do, but I do support their right to do so and to not be hassled by police officers that either do not know the law or don't care about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Well, I've never seen an open carry handgun, ever. But I have seen people with rifles over their backs at gun shows. Never on the street. The most guns I've ever seen in public were when the Dallas police had that shoot out with the crazy guy next to El Cnetro college in downtown Dallas last year or the year before.

Open carry is cool and all, but no one is actually doing it. No one wants to carry around a 9mm all day. Its heavy and cumbersome.
    I carry a .40 around all day and that is a larger round the 9mm. Occasionally I carry my .45 which after a long day feels like carrying a bowling ball.

They stage open carry picnics in parks, and invite the media. Ohioans for Concealed Carry is a leader in this, holding very successful open carry walks.
    Murican's bein' Murican
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I'm much more of an advocate of open carry than conceal. It gives you a visual clue of who to steer clear of.

I do wonder, in open carry states, whether businesses are allowed to deny entry to armed patrons
    Even in conceal carry states, businesses are allowed to post no firearms allowed. Some states have very distinct signage required, but I don't know of any states that prevent private property owners from prohibiting firearms on their property.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It's always been my impression about open carry too. Wanting a gun for self-defense is a sentiment I understand even if I don't share it, but waving the thing around telling yourself you're tough? It's really a bit pathetic to be honest. Like you're trying so very hard to convince yourself people should respect you.

I'm pretty sure that someone who actually respects what a gun is (IE an instrument for killing) usually wouldn't flex it like it was an extension of their penis. They know it's dangerous, they don't have it flash it. Difference between a guy who just has a well toned body, and another who insists on going around shirtless all the time so people can look at his pecs. At this point you're just being a douchebag fishing for attention.
    For a lot of people - particularly in areas like mine in New Mexico - open carry is pretty much a way of life. There are a lot of ranchers (and ranch hands), farmers (and farm hands), and people that recreate in the wilds where they can come into contact with anything from rattlesnakes to coyotes to elk to bears and even mountain lions. Just last week the local hospital sent out a memo to all employees to be alert when leaving the building at night time as a mountain lion had been spotted in the parking lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a lot of people - particularly in areas like mine in New Mexico - open carry is pretty much a way of life. There are a lot of ranchers (and ranch hands), farmers (and farm hands), and people that recreate in the wilds where they can come into contact with anything from rattlesnakes to coyotes to elk to bears and even mountain lions. Just last week the local hospital sent out a memo to all employees to be alert when leaving the building at night time as a mountain lion had been spotted in the parking lot.
    Cool story. This doesn't make open carry anywhere but in rural areas appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Surprises me that America doesn't like Kim Jung-On, seeing as how you share so many hobbies, such as waving your weapons around just for shows.

Also I wonder what kind of repercussion would this movement have if some American Islamists would decide to adhere to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Cool story. This doesn't make open carry anywhere but in rural areas appropriate.
    How are defining rural? By census definition my city is not rural.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are defining rural? By census definition my city is not rural.
    I wouldn't permit open carry (or carry of any kind) in a hospital, for instance. Or a school.

Who am I, Betsy DeVos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I'd like to bring back open carry for swords.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I'd like to bring back open carry for swords.
    You can in TX. We just recently repealed the 'illegal knife" law. You can go full on Jamie Lannister, dual wielding Damascus steel swords if you want now. Good luck getting in the car with those things though.