Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I wouldn't permit open carry (or carry of any kind) in a hospital, for instance. Or a school.

Who am I, Betsy DeVos?
    I'm not sure that that has to do with open carrying only being appropriate only in rural areas.
    Whether carry (open or concealed) is allowed in hospitals, schools, etc is mostly up to each individual state. Here is NM, carry in schools is prohibited, hospitals it is not unless the hospital posts itself as it's private property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    I'm not sure that that has to do with open carrying only being appropriate only in rural areas.
    Whether carry (open or concealed) is allowed in hospitals, schools, etc is mostly up to each individual state. Here is NM, carry in schools is prohibited, hospitals it is not unless the hospital posts itself as it's private property.
    Please learn the difference between an is and an ought argument. I'm aware that the states make such decisions, but quite frankly most of them make extremely stupid decisions regarding firearms. See: Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    someone explain to me why is it necessary to carry a gun to live a regular life. To drive kids to school, to go to work, to shop for groceries, to go out to eat or see a movie, why do you need to open carry.

Guns are weapons. their primary purpose is to kill. Obviously the person owning and carrying the gun will determine if the gun end up killing someone or not, but, in modern society, gun are unnecessary for 99% of the population (i support armed law enforcement agencies though)

i can understand it's "fun" to aim and shoot at things, but ultimately, gun aren't of any practical use to 99% of the population, especially open carry. You are better off being carrying a pen, than a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Please learn the difference between an is and an ought argument. I'm aware that the states make such decisions, but quite frankly most of them make extremely stupid decisions regarding firearms. See: Texas.
    How are Texas firearms laws the example of stupid. Contrary to popular belief, Texas is not a very firearms friendly state. I doubt it even ranks in the top 20 and I know its not in the top 10 states.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    someone explain to me why is it necessary to carry a gun to live a regular life. To drive kids to school, to go to work, to shop for groceries, to go out to eat or see a movie, why do you need to open carry.

Guns are weapons. their primary purpose is to kill. Obviously the person owning and carrying the gun will determine if the gun end up killing someone or not, but, in modern society, gun are unnecessary for 99% of the population (i support armed law enforcement agencies though)

i can understand it's "fun" to aim and shoot at things, but ultimately, gun aren't of any practical use to 99% of the population, especially open carry. You are better off being carrying a pen, than a gun.
    Depending on the study there are from the low end of 55K to 80K defensive uses of firearms every year to a high end of almost 5 million.

Then as I described above, where I live on any given day I have the possibility of running into things like rattlesnakes, coyotes, elk, bear and even mountain lions. Just so you don't think I'm living in some weird hermit like state in the mountains, the city I live has a population of >30K

Even in conceal carry states, businesses are allowed to post no firearms allowed. Some states have very distinct signage required, but I don't know of any states that prevent private property owners from prohibiting firearms on their property.

- - - Updated - - -

For a lot of people - particularly in areas like mine in New Mexico - open carry is pretty much a way of life. There are a lot of ranchers (and ranch hands), farmers (and farm hands), and people that recreate in the wilds where they can come into contact with anything from rattlesnakes to coyotes to elk to bears and even mountain lions. Just last week the local hospital sent out a memo to all employees to be alert when leaving the building at night time as a mountain lion had been spotted in the parking lot.
    Sure, in rural areas where attacks by beasts are a risk, carrying a gun is logical. Won't dispute that.

The thread is more about those who flex their guns in people's faces like some flex their pecs or their cars. And that I find these people just as ridiculous as the douchebags with steroid-fueled biceps or the mid-life crisis 50-something dude in his Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    It's so fucking hilarious. The logic is "I need to protect myself in case some nutjob with a gun walks into this mcdonalds!"

Everyone else: Holy fuck look at that nutjob with a gun walking into mcdonalds.
    Many people are to self centered, stupid or arogant to realize they are the problem and not the solution.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Open Carry: For when you positively just have to show everyone around you just how insecure you are as a HUman being.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Sure, in rural areas where attacks by beasts are a risk, carrying a gun is logical. Won't dispute that.

The thread is more about those who flex their guns in people's faces like some flex their pecs or their cars. And that I find these people just as ridiculous as the douchebags with steroid-fueled biceps or the mid-life crisis 50-something dude in his Audi.
    Again, I dispute that I live in a rural area. The population of my city is >30K. Just because someone is open carrying doesn't mean they are "flexing their guns". Admittedly there are some who do that and even if they do, unless they are doing something else that would cause them to be detained, police should not bother them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Many people are to self centered, stupid or arogant to realize they are the problem and not the solution.
    So, I assume you believe that BLM, Trump protesters, etc are all "self centered, stupid or arrogant to realize they are the problem and not the solution" as well? If not then you just don't think people should have the right to protest views with which you disagree.

Again, I dispute that I live in a rural area. The population of my city is >30K.
    Yeah, you could almost fill up a large stadium. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Yeah, you could almost fill up a large stadium. Almost.
    Just because an area is not a metropolis doesn't make it rural.

Quote Originally Posted by javen View Post
    My main issue with this is that it only applies to white people. Try being black and really open carrying at all, and see how long it takes for you to be either arrested or killed.
    That's funny, cause I'm black and I open carry in Oregon and the only time I've time I've had a run in with the law, was when I was driving 98 in a 70, nothing to do with carrying st all.

Again, I dispute that I live in a rural area. The population of my city is >30K. Just because someone is open carrying doesn't mean they are "flexing their guns". Admittedly there are some who do that and even if they do, unless they are doing something else that would cause them to be detained, police should not bother them.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I assume you believe that BLM, Trump protesters, etc are all "self centered, stupid or arrogant to realize they are the problem and not the solution" as well? If not then you just don't think people should have the right to protest views with which you disagree.
    That has jack shit to do with open carry. Honestly most of the BLM movement is counter productive and a mob mentality like most reactionary groups. Nice jump to a completely different topic while making some assumptions though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I mean I regularly go visit my brother at a place that has circa 40K inhabitants and while it's not rural with a big R, it's definitely far less packed than a city or a suburb, and is a different culture. We're in Canada so there's no guns there, but still.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on the study there are from the low end of 55K to 80K defensive uses of firearms every year to a high end of almost 5 million.

Then as I described above, where I live on any given day I have the possibility of running into things like rattlesnakes, coyotes, elk, bear and even mountain lions. Just so you don't think I'm living in some weird hermit like state in the mountains, the city I live has a population of >30K
    strangely enough, i live in a country where not only open carry but also owning a gun is not permitted. I have never owned, shot or even seen a real gun in my entire life.
    And yet, my country have 4 times lower murder rate than the US, half the rape rate, and half drug related crime rate (and marijuana is even illegal).

Gun don't bring protection, guns create the problem. When guns are so easily available, criminals are more likely to seek handguns than law abiding citizen.

I'm under no illusion that anything could convince american that the 2nd amendment is poisonous for their society, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2017-07-19 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    That has jack shit to do with open carry. Honestly most of the BLM movement is counter productive and a mob mentality like most reactionary groups. Nice jump to a completely different topic while making some assumptions though.
    The vast majority of open carry that ends up in the news and you find out about is done as protest so the comparison is apt. And I made no assumptions. I asked a question and mentioned the resulting logic if you didn't view other protesters similarly.

- - - Updated - - -

strangely enough, i live in a country where not only open carry but also owning a gun is not permitted. I have never owned, shot or even seen a real gun in my entire life.
    And yet, my country have 4 times lower murder rate than the US, half the rape rate, and half drug related crime rate (and marijuana is even illegal).

Gun don't bring protection, guns create the problem. When guns are so easily available, criminals are more likely to seek handguns than law abiding citizen.

I'm under no illusion that anything could convince american that the 2nd amendment is poisonous for their society, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is.
    And I respect your opinion that the Second Amendment is poisonous. The problem is that too many on your side of the debate don't respect the opinion of those whose opinion differs from theirs. Instead of actually tackling what the believe is the problem - the Second Amendment - they try to do an end run around the Constitution and create unconstitutional laws and regulations and rely on legislating from the bench of anti-gun judges to deprive law abiding citizens the ability to exercise their right to keep and bear arms. They do this knowing that their views are in the minority - much less having a super majority required for amending the Constitution.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And I respect your opinion that the Second Amendment is poisonous. The problem is that too many on your side of the debate don't respect the opinion of those whose opinion differs from theirs. Instead of actually tackling what the believe is the problem - the Second Amendment - they try to do an end run around the Constitution and create unconstitutional laws and regulations and rely on legislating from the bench of anti-gun judges to deprive law abiding citizens the ability to exercise their right to keep and bear arms. They do this knowing that their views are in the minority - much less having a super majority required for amending the Constitution.
    you know, the constitution was written more than 200 years ago. Different times, different political context, different technology etc...

Laws that may have been fine or necessary then may be obsolete, or even dangerous today. Some laws resist the test of time (like the first amendment), others are questionable (like the 2nd) and others are completely obsolete (the 3rd one).

Blindly holding onto the 2nd amendment without understanding the context in which it was written is, i think, dangerous for the modern society.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It wouldn't be a thing but the left wing has threatened to take away gun ownership for a very long time, in places like NY and DC they succeeded. Most people don't want the government to take their guns away.

There are a few big time gun hobbyists like any hobby has, model railroaders for example.

TV shows like to exaggerate.
    na the TV show outside the gods aspect had it pretty accurate.

you know, the constitution was written more than 200 years ago. Different times, different political context, different technology etc...

Laws that may have been fine or necessary then may be obsolete, or even dangerous today. Some laws resist the test of time (like the first amendment), others are questionable (like the 2nd) and others are completely obsolete (the 3rd one).

Blindly holding onto the 2nd amendment without understanding the context in which it was written is, i think, dangerous for the modern society.
    I don't blindly follow anything. I'll go out on a limb and say that I probably understand the context in which the Constitution was written better than you as I have studied and read about the Constitution and it's history more than the vast majority of people. The Founders provided a method to amend the Constitution should times change and the majority should feel it necessary to add, modify or delete parts. Outside the Bill of Rights, this has been done 17 times.

I respect your opinion disagreeing with the Second Amendment, the problem lies in the lack of respect the other side has for it's supporters. If you feel it should be abolished work to do so. Don't try to end run the Constitution with unconstitutional laws and regulations and legislating from the bench of anti-gun judges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    To be very blunt, I would trust ratherjn the extremely unlikely case that I will ever face armed criminals trained professionals (called ''cops'') over someone who think terrorists might attack the Walmart and who sees the world like a five years old (''bad guyz'' vs ''good guyz'') and whose connection to reality is presumably tenuous.
    So let me see if I understand you correctly... you view people that open carry in what way? Would that opinion also extend to fellow MMOC posters?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.