View Poll Results: Would you support an estate(death) tax of 75%?

Voters
276. This poll is closed
  • need more info

21 7.61%
  • Yes 75%

41 14.86%
  • No but 50% is okay

16 5.80%
  • No estate tax is good

198 71.74%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Really? The premise of modern 'Euro-Atlantic Civilisation' is that there is a general will and it can be quantified by adequate democratic representation.

Property rights are not civil rights.
    No just no. The premise of the Euro-Atlantic civilisation is that are individuals are equal to one another and all are entailed to have their voice heard in the governance of their state and have inherent rights the state cannot take from them.

Yes the are.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    You earn money, you pay tax on it, you save it, you die, the money is taxed a second time?

No double taxation please.
    Wrong.
    You earn money, you are taxed on it. Once.
    Then you die, and other people get your money (that they didn't earn, BTW), and are taxed on it.

It's not "double taxation", it's "single taxation on money obtained", like for everything and everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    No just no. The premise of the Euro-Atlantic civilisation is that are individuals are equal to one another and all are entailed to have their voice heard in the governance of their state and have inherent rights the state cannot take from them.
    I'm curious as to why you think this notion is mutually exclusive with the concept of a general will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Then you die, and other people get your money (that they didn't earn, BTW), and are taxed on it.
    Which is entirely irrelevant. If your parents make money and decide that you should have it after they die, then it's their right to give it to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Which is entirely irrelevant. If your parents make money and decide that you should have it after they die, then it's their right to give it to you.
    And if we change the law to introduce an inheritance tax, then they no longer have said right.

Funny how that works.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious as to why you think this notion is mutually exclusive with the concept of a general will.
    Because individualism and some hive mind are direct contradictions perhaps?

Btw if it existed, how would you divine its commands? The majority = the general will?

- - - Updated - - -

And if we change the law to introduce an inheritance tax, then they no longer have said right.

Funny how that works.
    Your concept of rights is absolutely despicable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because individuals and some hive mind are direct contradictions perhaps?
    The general will is not a 'hive mind'.

Btw if it existed, how would you divine its commands? The majority = the general will?
    Hundreds of pages and a lot of ink have been expended on this very subject. The answer is; we don't know, save best guess approximations in the form of a variety of political systems.

Look, I understand that your preferred media format is small, easily retained soundbites and not longish political treatises, but literacy is a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    When you die your estate has to pay an estate or "death" tax. Republicans coined the term "death" tax and they've been working hard to reduce it. For example, only 2 out of a thousand estates have to pay any estate tax now.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federa...ral-estate-tax

It's an ideal tax because the person you're taxing is dead and won't care.

Why pass on all that wealth to children who might not be as capable? Redistribute the wealth and let it fall into more able hands.

We can use all that money to ease the tax burden on the poor or for whatever.

Warren Buffet is for this idea.
    Isn't it up to the person(now dead) to decide who the money goes to instead of thinking you're automatically entitled to it?

10+ Year Old Account
    What? That rights are not inherent or god given and are instead social constructs designed to promote human welfare?

I'm sorry my political ideology isn't based on, you know, mythology.

10+ Year Old Account
    The general will is not a 'hive mind'.

Hundreds of pages and a lot of ink have been expended on this very subject. The answer is; we don't know, save best guess approximations in the form of a variety of political systems.

Look, I understand that your preferred media format is small, easily retained soundbites and not longish political treatises, but literacy is a virtue.
    Ah yes, drive a leftist into a corner and he starts spouting insults and ad hominems, you guys are so depressingly predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    When you die your estate has to pay an estate or "death" tax. Republicans coined the term "death" tax and they've been working hard to reduce it. For example, only 2 out of a thousand estates have to pay any estate tax now.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federa...ral-estate-tax

It's an ideal tax because the person you're taxing is dead and won't care.

Why pass on all that wealth to children who might not be as capable? Redistribute the wealth and let it fall into more able hands.

We can use all that money to ease the tax burden on the poor or for whatever.

Warren Buffet is for this idea.
    No. At no time is this money property of the state and should be passed to surviving family.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, drive a leftist into a corner and he starts spouting insults and ad hominems, you guys are so depressingly predictable.
    Are you actually going to address the points made, or did I rustle your jimmies too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? That rights are not inherent or god given and are instead social constructs designed to promote human welfare?

I'm sorry my political ideology isn't based on, you know, mythology.
    Rights do not exist to promote general welfare, rights exist to protect individuals.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you actually going to address the points made, or did I rustle your jimmies too much.
    You spouted a lot of nonsense and no discernible points, and given that you started insulting me, I dont feel like diving into your nonsensical writings.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again, back to the brutal regimes. Rights determined by the state is scary.

"Oh jews don't have rights anymore because we changed the laws.

Funny how that works."

10+ Year Old Account
    Rights do not exist to promote general welfare, rights exist to protect individuals.
    Fun Fact: They can do both. I said "human welfare", not "general welfare".

The point being that we invent them based on what we believe is most necessary at a given moment; necessary meaning, what best facilitates welfare with the least amount of detriment at a given moment in time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post

Funny how that works."
    Yeah, funny how you lot don't seem to have a concept of cost/benefit, nor of 'is' versus 'ought'.

No, that's awful. No double taxation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    No, that's awful. No double taxation
    Double taxation is a myth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post

Funny how that works."
    What people like him dont understand is that what state gave, state can just as easily take away. This alone makes the natural rights concept far superior.

But he is beyond help and we can be only thankful that not many people today share his extreme ideas.

Deleted
    And if we change the law to introduce an inheritance tax, then they no longer have said right. Funny how that works.
    With emphasis on "If". Even in a lot of European countries, ideas like those - especially to such a radical extent like 75% - don't find much approval. In which case it's not going to happen.
    Funny how that works.

No not at all. People have the right to provide for their children. Go find a grave to rob.