Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why play a druid?

Title is the question. Why do you play a druid?

10+ Year Old Account
    Druid is my alt (but I mained resto during Dragon soul); honestly and seriously, it's because of instant cast flight form.

If they made the witch broom from Halloween permanent I'd never play a Druid again.

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    Druid is my alt (but I mained resto during Dragon soul); honestly and seriously, it's because of instant cast flight form.

If they made the witch broom from Halloween permanent I'd never play a Druid again.

Isn't the monk cloud instant?
    I main druid mostly because I like to play all roles. Also because I mainly play healers and I hate not being able to cast while moving, rejuvi spam is fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I main druid mostly because I like to play all roles. Also because I mainly play healers and I hate not being able to cast while moving, rejuvi spam is fun.
    It is, but it's not flight speed (though you can then mount a regular mount while on the cloud).

Because I do everything on one character.

- 4specs
    - Dreamway portals
    - Prowl (stealth)
    - Flap (slow fall)
    - Water form
    - Flight form (loot and fly)

- night elf druids extra: Shadowmeld -> Prowl

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Zen Flight is 60% speed.
    I don't main one but I used to. The ability to change into animal forms and their healing just appealed to me.

7+ Year Old Account
    The basic reason I chose the druid was because I could Heal and DPS (and tank if I ever decided to). Once I hit max level back in TBC I stuck with my druid because he was such an incredibly strong healer in both PVE and PVP. I also enjoyed questing/exploring as feral.

Here are some of the reasons:
    - only healer/tank/caster spec with permanent stealth, amazing for PVP and questing
    - you can do any role in the game, it gives you the ability to play whatever is needed or whatever you want
    - historically had a ton of utility spells, sort of like a "swiss army knife"
    - feels awesome when you can help save your teammates with CC or healing even though that is not your role's job
    - since legion one set of gear counts for all 4 specs; only difference are weapons and trinkets
    - flight form makes MANY quests and gather professions effortless and fast
    - talents allow you to urgently help with dps/tank/heal if the emergency calls for it
    - animal forms and visuals, if you like that stuff
    - one of the most popular classes since vanilla wow, blizzard often pays attention to Druids and balances whats needed (unlike Shamans who get ignored for years)

Probably a lot of other reasons but those are what i can think of.

Deleted
    guardian tank form

challenge one ofc

It's got everything in one class, tanking, melee DPS, ranged DPS, and healing.

The Quality of Life aspect is unmatched, with instant flight and water forms. The class mount is the only 2 person mount (I still believe that Blizz should open up ALL the forms rather than choose for us for "simpler bars". It's crap, but not what this thread is about)

Heck, I would be maining my NELF bear druid except I found a guild of people I really like so I went and leveled a Belf DH so I could play with them.

It doesn't hurt that outside of Feral, all the other specs are decent to outstanding for what they do. Feral is, too, but it has a pretty high skill floor.

Oh, and herbing while mounted is a thing...

if you're a lover of the current patch, every spec of druid aside Feral is extremely useful for pve, pvp and world questing there's a lot of strengths to the lazer owls damage atm in raiding and pvp so it honestly depends on what you enjoy doing in the game and whether or not you'd like doing it covered in fur or feathers

When I was first making characters, a large part of the appeal of druid was that it seemed like it had the most connection to the story because it was the only one that had a defined deity. All of Night Elf culture seemed to revolve around Elune. (And all of Tauren culture seemed to revolve around the Earthmother.) The Orcs and Trolls had The Spirits and Loa for Shamanism, and the Humans and Dwarfs had The Light... but the manual didn't expand upon these two class' religions as much. They were a lot more vague and up for interpretation, whereas Elune and Earthmother were very specifically titled and had legends and characteristics. So it stood to reason to me back then that if I wanted the most in-depth and lore-heavy story, I would have to play a druid as none of the other classes seemed to have nearly as much cultural significance.

When I did roll a druid, after that it was mostly just because of green wrath. It looked and sounded cool. (Man, that old zapping sound.) Other spells like entangling roots, thorns, insect swarm, hurricane, and force of nature kept me interested as I leveled. Like, hitting things with nature? What a novel concept. Seemed pretty cool. (Course, now-a-days all the offensive magic is all astral now..)

Having each of a tank, healer, and dps spec doesn't hurt for getting into groups either... but you can do that as paladin or monk, too. If we're talking solo reasons to play a druid in this day and age, it's pretty much just instant travel form and being able to interact/loot while in travel form. As far as group reasons, Innervate, Stampeding Roar, Tranquility, and Rebirth are the main reasons to bring druids now. So I suppose if all of that sounds like a complete package for someone, maybe druid would be a good fit for them.

I started in TBC as a warlock but quickly found out that getting into groups as a DPS player is a pain in the ass so I decided to try tanking and healing instead. The classes that could do both were paladin and druid - I wasn't about to play a blood elf, so I went with a tauren druid. Didn't end up caring for tanking much but fell in love with healing and that resto druid is still my main to this day!

So I suppose I rolled a druid because of the versatility, i.e. the option to play all roles if the fancy strikes me. I can quest as a boomkin, raid as resto and solo old dungeons as BARE. Instant flight and stealth are also really nice to have - the only thing I miss is a way to drop combat (though I don't miss it enough to go Alliance).

Cool tier transmogs.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Because as a druid I'm a smooth criminal. It's not just that you can switch between different roles and situations, but that you can do so very smoothly. Jump off a cliff and you're a flying bird, then dive into the water and keep moving as a sea lion then stealth onto land before rawr lazer beams in all the faces.

And bear dance of course.

- Every role in the game! No other class can do that.
    - Forms for many occasions and it's unique to the Druid class (and Shamans for Ghost Wolf but does that really count?)
    - Instant-cast flight mount! Instant-cast, slightly slower, land mount! Both forms can also interact with many objects in the world without having to dismount/unshift! Oh and going from free-falling to Flight Form is really fun.
    - Mobility! The Druid class is very fast (movement speed) and has plenty of mobility options, even for Balance and Resto! (Wild Charge [class-wide talent], Displacer Beast [non-Guardian talent], Dash [class-wide baseline spell], Cat Form [class-wide baseline spell], Feline Swiftness/Feral Affinity [Feral baseline/non-Feral talent], Stampeding Roar [Feral/Guardian baseline, raid-wide Speed cooldown], Stellar Drift [Balance talent that lets you cast while moving while in Starfall], Most Resto heals are instant-cast)
    - Longest-ranged abilities in the game (except for Marksmanship Hunter) with Balance Affinity (Balance baseline gets 45y range, other specs can get +5 yards to ALL of their abilities, even melee ones, and it includes the radius of them. It's a small QoL buff that really shines through at times)
    - No-cooldown Bear Form that you can shift into for a massive health buffer (makeshift DR by increasing your health pool). Using Guardian Affinity, you can also use Frenzied Regen as an added defensive cooldown.

Just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

The OP's been making "why play X" threads for a while now.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    The OP's been making "why play X" threads for a while now.
    OP's only got 4 posts made, and even still, does it matter? Could be finding what class he wants to play, which I say more power to him for trying to find info ahead of time, plus it doesn't harm anyone.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.