View Poll Results: Would you support an estate(death) tax of 75%?

Voters
276. This poll is closed
  • need more info

21 7.61%
  • Yes 75%

41 14.86%
  • No but 50% is okay

16 5.80%
  • No estate tax is good

198 71.74%
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Why pass on all that wealth to children who might not be as capable? Redistribute the wealth and let it fall into more able hands.
    are you honestly implying that the government can better decide how to spend taxpayers money?
    Imagine if life really was fair, and all the bad things that happen to you happen because you deserved them.

A large estate tax would only serve to push more money out of the country to tax free areas.

I had a friend who's Mother worked hard all her life and in the end the one thing she was happy about was that she had bought a home that she could give to her son.

It was a source of much happiness when she was very ill that her home was just paid off right before she died. So now her son who also works hard, but never was able to buy a home will get this great gift from his Mother.

People want to take even that from people who work all their lives to try and pass down something to their children? They lived and paid taxes their whole life and when they die we want to swoop in and take the rest?

What a crazy world we live in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariktu View Post
    I had a friend who's Mother worked hard all her life and in the end the one thing she was happy about was that she had bought a home that she could give to her son.

It was a source of much happiness when she was very ill that her home was just paid off right before she died. So now her son who also works hard, but never was able to buy a home will get this great gift from his Mother.

People want to take even that from people who work all their lives to try and pass down something to their children? They lived and paid taxes their whole life and when they die we want to swoop in and take the rest?

So this woman worked all of her life and was going to pass on an Estate worth 5.49 million dollars?

There isn't a person in this thread that would ever be subjected to the Estate Tax in it's current state.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

50% estate tax is already a thing and for people that know about it in advance they can do a LOT to prepare for, and minimize, what it actually takes. Trusts are used a lot to evade the tax almost entirely; Honestly the estate tax should just go away because it only punishes the unknowing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, my grandparents withdrew all of their wealth from the "system" a long time ago and only a select few in the family know where it is. So, no taxes, no soul-sucking nursing home fees, no nothing except inheritance.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    You can always tell who the people are who've accomplished little to nothing in life.
    Well sorry you havnt done much in your life

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    A large estate tax would only serve to push more money out of the country to tax free areas.
    So we'll see all the rich kids changing their citizenship when their parents get old?

- - - Updated - - -

The estate tax only applies past 5 million dollars (per parent). VERY few people are subject to it. Those that aren't actually benefit.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2017-07-20 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    The fact that during your whole life, you benefited from them.
    Or do you think that healthcare, law enforcement, justice system, labor laws, the ability to walk with the guarantee to be protected, the infrastructure that allowed these millionaire to get electricity and water for their factories and roads and rails to carry their goods, airlines where planes don't crash into each others and so on, just sprout magically out of the ground ?

- - - Updated - - -

And these several guys have just said bullshit and were corrected about it. Now selective reading is a pretty strong force, I know, but it doesn't change reality.

So basically you recognize that this "working harder to becomes richer" is BS.
    And please, Reagan on economics ? The guy who is mocked for his voodoo economics ? As a reference ? Please ?

That makes no sense. I get the feeling you have no idea how taxes work.

That's just such a pileup of clichés, it sounds comical.
    And your whole life you were taxed by them for those servies. You dont get to tax again for more after they died. If i cancel my wow subscription blizzard doesnt get to charge me again for all those months i played and enjoyed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    And your whole life you were taxed by them for those servies. You dont get to tax again for more after they died. If i cancel my wow subscription blizzard doesnt get to charge me again for all those months i played and enjoyed the game.
    They aren't the ones getting taxed. It's their inheritors getting taxed on new income.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    So we'll see all the rich kids changing their citizenship when their parents get old?

- - - Updated - - -

The estate tax only applies past 5 million dollars (per parent). VERY few people are subject to it. Those that aren't actually benefit.
    Even though it wouldnt necessarily effect me doesnt mean i should be selfish and support the idea. If i was against a certain policy affecting me then i shouldnt change my position because suddenly it doesnt. Its called not being an asshole. That logic would mean i shouldnt support female productive rights/healthcare because it doesnt affect me and it could potentially make my insurance cheaper if they were deprived services.

Banking institutions that don't report to the US Gov. IE: To the government the money doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Banking institutions that don't report to the US Gov. IE: To the government the money doesn't exist.
    So you're in support of Tax Evasion?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

They aren't the ones getting taxed. It's their inheritors getting taxed on new income.
    Thats not income. Income is money you get for working, investing and lotto winnings. Leftover assets and money from a parent doesnt meet the definition. Stop being greedy.

This is always such a dumb concept. Instead of taxing it, what if we just burned everything for the sake of fairness, I really don't even see the need to use a tax if we're trying to reset the score for a few people.

Doubt that house is worth over 5 million dollars and if it is you can afford to pay taxes, dont want to hear the waah waah we cant afford it from billionaires it just sounds like greed nothign more nothing less

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    The estate tax is a necessity, and the only societies that didn't think so were overthrown or crumbled into dust of their own accord.

The wage gap and insurmountable mountains of money suffocate and kill the lower classes, either quickly or slowly.
    I believe thats what we call darwinism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Doubt that house is worth over 5 million dollars and if it is you can afford to pay taxes, dont want to hear the waah waah we cant afford it from billionaires it just sounds like greed nothign more nothing less
    No greed is wanting what others have for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    Even though it wouldnt necessarily effect me doesnt mean i should be selfish and support the idea. If i was against a certain policy affecting me then i shouldnt change my position because suddenly it doesnt. Its called not being an asshole. That logic would mean i shouldnt support female productive rights/healthcare because it doesnt affect me and it could potentially make my insurance cheaper if they were deprived services.
    There are other perfectly good reasons to support an estate tax outside of personal interest or lack thereof. Hell, I support it even though my in-laws have enough wealth to be affected.

So...we shouldn't do this because tax evasion?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    So you're in support of Tax Evasion?
    If you impose hugely unreasonable taxes on people they will find ways to get around them. I'm not for tax evasion, which is your strawman that somehow justifies ignoring that people will find a way around the tax. Especially the people who have the means to make this kind of money, have the means to get around this tax.

Which means chasing the money out of the country, and definitely not recirculating it as the tax is intended to do.
    Last edited by McFuu; 2017-07-20 at 02:37 AM.

Estate taxes are poorly conceived, especially in the Year Of Our Lord 2017 where people with money don't leave their kids money, they leave assets.

"But the government can just assess the value of those assets!"

Ignoring the moral dilemma of empowering the government to assess how much income it gets from estates, there are entire asset classes with highly subjective valuations.