Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account

Lock Relics, HALP.

Hi All,

I am sure it is buried somewhere, and I have missed it. But could anyone give me some rough guidance on relics? and what ones we should be running? 915 aff lock. I am currently using the following.

1. Breath of Dusk (890 ilvl) Increases crit damage dealt by drain soul, agony, corruption and UA by 16%.. (IMO this is pretty OP, flat damage boost on all dots?)

2. Phial Of Blood (890ilvl) Increases damage dealt by agony by 20% , ONTOP of the 16% buff from breath of dusk?? NOT sure if that stacks?

3. Brand Of Relentless agony (920 Ilvl) Increases the crit of UA by 10%.

I have got blood of the unworthy in bags (900 ilvl) that increases the damage done by corruption by 16%, but if I use that, I lose the phial of blood, and the agony damage buff'? Is it worth sacrificing the agony damage buff for an extra 5 ilvls?

Thanks guys..

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    just sim it
    Thanks apels, appreciate it

Deleted
    For aff, all relics are generally within margin of error (with the exception of the drain soul one, that is around 15 ilvl lower than what it says).

Either sim or lock one-stop-shop has pre-determined sims that show exactly what I said above.

The general rule of thumb is that a higher item level is better than the trait bonus, especially if you're talking about damage dealing ones. It's a little murkier if you're talking about a damage dealing item that is 5 or so less than a non damage one.

You should go to raidbots.com to sim for yourself - but you'll probably find that the 900 ones are stronger than both the 890 ones.

Get 2 shadow relics from Harjatan/Desolate host, blood relic from Eye of Azhara/Maiden/Kil'jaeden. This tier is very good for affliction in terms of relics compared to shit NH one. You have option to get 2 shadow relics with best trait for every situation from Harjatan or second (first if you have tonns of crit) best trait from Desolate host. Blood relic is trickier to get because best trait one is still in Eye of Azhara so you need luck to get high ilvl one from that, second best is from maiden and third on from KJ.

Agony and corruption relics both are "bad" relics because trait is really weak. However in ToS there're plenty of multi target fights so they are not as bad as they were in NH.
    Agony relic should be better for single target but corruption relic is definitely better for fights like Demonic inqusition, Harjatan, Desolate host (Corruption is main damage source for these fights and you should bring corruption ring + endless corruption + death's embrace talents on these bosses) and maybe for m+ dungeons so in my my opinion better overall than agony one. 900 corruption relic would be better than 890 agony relic.

All of this is for mythic difficulty. For heroic and lower it doesn't really matter what relics you have (unless it's useless non dmg one or seeds/drain soul) because things die too fast.
    Last edited by Sunlighthell; 2017-07-17 at 02:13 PM.

If you're not into simming yourself (I know I'm not) I recommend Lock One Stop Shop, they've done a load of comparative sims.

10+ Year Old Account
    2*Harjatan
    1*Kil'jaeden

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    For aff, all relics are generally within margin of error (with the exception of the drain soul one, that is around 15 ilvl lower than what it says).

Either sim or lock one-stop-shop has pre-determined sims that show exactly what I said above.
    and of course is the one that keeps titanforging itself when the game gives it to me.

Deleted
    General rule of thumb is, so long as it;s a damage increasing one then ilevel wins out.

So long as it's not a shit one like increasing Shadow of the Flesh they've done a fair job of making the relics reasonably close in value.

Moreover, although Perdition is very powerful, it's worth remembering that we'd previously stack crit and Perdition boosting relics in order to chase big UA crits in a Reap-Drain cycle with Malefic Grasp.

With more damage baked into the other dots the relics that boost Corruption and Agony have become better choices than they were, particularly if you are using builds with Absolute Corruption and Writhe in Agony.

The Nighthold was total shit for relics, ToS has ones that are worth it. I had two Shadow ones that boosted perdition that were stick at 895, both off Botanist, but I got lucky in ToS and got two of Hardjatan's, one 920 and one 935.

How was NH total crap for relics? I love my 2 x Breath of Dusk that I got from High Botanist Tel'arn. I've been running very high on crit for Affliction, 31%, since I got another Perdition relic from the Relinquished vendor (so 3 in total), and it was a noticeable increase in DPS, having replaced my older Agony and Corruption relics. I've recently swapped out one for the EoA relic since I got a nice ilvl from my chest last week and wanted to boost some of my AoE due to the heavy use of SoC and PS in some fights.

Those are the kind of relics you want to aim for, either Perdition or Shadowy Incantations will yield the highest DPS since it affects most of your damaging spells. Remember, Reap doubles the effectiveness of traits, so having 20% as I do currently for Perdition, under Reap, that's 40% increase damage to crits. It's a LOT of extra free damage, but you really want +25% crit to make good use of it.
    Last edited by transparent; 2017-07-19 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by transparent View Post
    How was NH total crap for relics? I love my 2 x Breath of Dusk that I got from High Botanist Tel'arn.
    I can't tell if you're joking or a troll. I'm just going to take a stab in the dark.....I'm going to with joke. Hmm, no tro...No, a chance to express your luck and satisfaction with your relic drops. That's the most charitable. I'll go with option three. I kid, I kid. It is very nice having great relics; I agree.

TOS have so many more opportunities, especially given the changes in this patch, for great relics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DoorLoc View Post

Thanks guys..
    Yeah raidbots is really helpful. Or as other suggest go to one lock stop shop site. Ignore people who say it doesn't matter if you aren't doing mythic; it's ignorant meme.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Liarparadox; 2017-07-19 at 06:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by transparent View Post
    How was NH total crap for relics? I love my 2 x Breath of Dusk that I got from High Botanist Tel'arn. I've been running very high on crit for Affliction, 31%, since I got another Perdition relic from the Relinquished vendor (so 3 in total), and it was a noticeable increase in DPS, having replaced my older Agony and Corruption relics. I've recently swapped out one for the EoA relic since I got a nice ilvl from my chest last week and wanted to boost some of my AoE due to the heavy use of SoC and PS in some fights.

Those are the kind of relics you want to aim for, either Perdition or Shadowy Incantations will yield the highest DPS since it affects most of your damaging spells. Remember, Reap doubles the effectiveness of traits, so having 20% as I do currently for Perdition, under Reap, that's 40% increase damage to crits. It's a LOT of extra free damage, but you really want +25% crit to make good use of it.
    Is that a joke?

The entire raid dropped one useful relic from one boss. I got incredibly lucky and got it twice, but only after months of having it on farm. Or maybe not so lucky, because both of them were 895. In fact I had really shit luck with relics, most guildies managed to get 910 and 920 ones and they just never seemed to drop from M+ for me, like ever.

The others? Tichondrius increased Seed of Corruption (junk), Guldan - Drained to a Husk (junk). The other two both increased Agony, which was for that raid progress a poor relic as well.

The Perdition relics were very strong because basically through Nighthold most of your damage was in UA, and the go-to build was Malefic Grasp and Contagion single target tunneling. The rotation was basically a UA+UA+Reap+MG cycle, and Perdition worked really well with that because you were basically fishing for very large UA crits, and Perdition amplfied those crits. Perdition synergised almost perfectly with the playstyle, not least because as you point out each Perdition point doubled under Reap. Moreover, it grew even mor epowerful with the addtion of the Winnowing artifact trait. That is one reason affliction became so powerful.

However, aflfiction ha sbeen redesigned, so that it's a multidot spec more than anything. That's it's strength. So whilst Perdition and Perdition relics are still very strong, relics that boost Agony or Corruption are also strong, particularly on mutlidot fights.

The ilevel of a relic - so long as it;s not a garbage one like increasing Seeds of Doom - is now a pretty good indicator of it;s value. I'd guess that it's kinda like the old rule of thumb about items: so long as it had Mastery and was at least 15 points higher it was a good candidate for an upgrade.

Likewise, a relic, a non-shit one, with a higher ilevel, is now a good candidate.Perdition is still top following by Incantations and Winnowing, are still the best because they apply to all your damage. But that's why they have 1% steps (doubles to 2% under Reap) but stuff like Hideous Corruption go up by 4% each step (8% under Reap)
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-07-19 at 07:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DoorLoc View Post
    Hi All,

I am sure it is buried somewhere, and I have missed it. But could anyone give me some rough guidance on relics? and what ones we should be running? 915 aff lock. I am currently using the following.

1. Breath of Dusk (890 ilvl) Increases crit damage dealt by drain soul, agony, corruption and UA by 16%.. (IMO this is pretty OP, flat damage boost on all dots?)

2. Phial Of Blood (890ilvl) Increases damage dealt by agony by 20% , ONTOP of the 16% buff from breath of dusk?? NOT sure if that stacks?

3. Brand Of Relentless agony (920 Ilvl) Increases the crit of UA by 10%.

I have got blood of the unworthy in bags (900 ilvl) that increases the damage done by corruption by 16%, but if I use that, I lose the phial of blood, and the agony damage buff'? Is it worth sacrificing the agony damage buff for an extra 5 ilvls?

Thanks guys..
    http://lockonestopshop.com/#!/Affliction/Sims/Relic

Lots of info there if you dont know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    Is that a joke?

The entire raid dropped one useful relic from one boss. I got incredibly lucky and got it twice, but only after months of having it on farm. Or maybe not so lucky, because both of them were 895. In fact I had really shit luck with relics, most guildies managed to get 910 and 920 ones and they just never seemed to drop from M+ for me, like ever.

The others? Tichondrius increased Seed of Corruption (junk), Guldan - Drained to a Husk (junk). The other two both increased Agony, which was for that raid progress a poor relic as well.

The Perdition relics were very strong because basically through Nighthold most of your damage was in UA, and the go-to build was Malefic Grasp and Contagion single target tunneling. The rotation was basically a UA+UA+Reap+MG cycle, and Perdition worked really well with that because you were basically fishing for very large UA crits, and Perdition amplfied those crits. Perdition synergised almost perfectly with the playstyle, not least because as you point out each Perdition point doubled under Reap. Moreover, it grew even mor epowerful with the addtion of the Winnowing artifact trait. That is one reason affliction became so powerful.

However, aflfiction ha sbeen redesigned, so that it's a multidot spec more than anything. That's it's strength. So whilst Perdition and Perdition relics are still very strong, relics that boost Agony or Corruption are also strong, particularly on mutlidot fights.

The ilevel of a relic - so long as it;s not a garbage one like increasing Seeds of Doom - is now a pretty good indicator of it;s value. I'd guess that it's kinda like the old rule of thumb about items: so long as it had Mastery and was at least 15 points higher it was a good candidate for an upgrade.

Likewise, a relic, a non-shit one, with a higher ilevel, is now a good candidate.Perdition is still top following by Incantations and Winnowing, are still the best because they apply to all your damage. But that's why they have 1% steps (doubles to 2% under Reap) but stuff like Hideous Corruption go up by 4% each step (8% under Reap)
    Other posters made it sound like NH had no good relics, when actually it had our 2nd best relic. Even with multiple targets, Perdition edges out DPS over Agony/Corruption relics, only just, but it does yield higher DPS.

Not saying you absolutely NEED to have Perdition, just that if you can aim for getting Perdition and Shadowy Incantation relics, you'll get higher DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar of Gnomeregan View Post
    2*Harjatan
    1*Kil'jaeden

Done.
    This basically.