Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuze View Post
    water elemental can soak the rune thingies raest spawn in last phase i believe as well :P
    I was 895 (gloves & sephuz because that's all I got) at the time of the kill and while the elemental can really save you if the runes spawn in the middle of the mobpack, I felt as if I was lacking the overall dmg.

The strategy that did it for me was:

Use purgatory phases to pump as much dmg into raest as possible (hero, pots, everything), usually you can cast in peace here.

Kite karam in a circle around raest so you don't have to worry about slowing him in the last phase since the voidzones will to that for you -> you can focus all your dmg into raest

Use Lonely winter for more dmg and pray for not shitty rune spawn locations

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ply View Post
    I was 895 (gloves & sephuz because that's all I got) at the time of the kill and while the elemental can really save you if the runes spawn in the middle of the mobpack, I felt as if I was lacking the overall dmg.

The strategy that did it for me was:

Use purgatory phases to pump as much dmg into raest as possible (hero, pots, everything), usually you can cast in peace here.

Kite karam in a circle around raest so you don't have to worry about slowing him in the last phase since the voidzones will to that for you -> you can focus all your dmg into raest

Use Lonely winter for more dmg and pray for not shitty rune spawn locations
    Oh yea, definitely Lonely winter. Was just saying that Water elemental's only use is for rune soaking and maybe the extra nova if you're low on hand damage

Deleted
    So... after finishing the fire challenge, I want to tackle the frost one next. I had good uses of a Devilsaur Shock Baton (855, 1 gem slot, 2% leech) in the fire challenge - great utility despite the low item level - and wonder if this would be helpful for frost as well, or if I risk to kill the adds too soon, thus resulting in a lack of FoF procs?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    So... after finishing the fire challenge, I want to tackle the frost one next. I had good uses of a Devilsaur Shock Baton (855, 1 gem slot, 2% leech) in the fire challenge - great utility despite the low item level - and wonder if this would be helpful for frost as well, or if I risk to kill the adds too soon, thus resulting in a lack of FoF procs?
    There is almost nothing to heal for at the frost challange. If the Hand gets a cast off you're dead, if the guy chasing you reaches you, you're pretty much dead aswell.

This fight is all about kitting, getting interrupting 1st and killing the hand before the second cast.

If you're having issues, the best thing you can do is the food buff that gives movement speed after a minion die(bear tartare?). This helps a lot while moving away. Cone of cold is also amazing for when the Twin gets too close.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maaikie View Post
    There is almost nothing to heal for at the frost challange. If the Hand gets a cast off you're dead, if the guy chasing you reaches you, you're pretty much dead aswell.

This fight is all about kitting, getting interrupting 1st and killing the hand before the second cast.

If you're having issues, the best thing you can do is the food buff that gives movement speed after a minion die(bear tartare?). This helps a lot while moving away. Cone of cold is also amazing for when the Twin gets too close.
    Thanks for the reply. I have only done a couple of trys some weeks ago and will probably do some serious trys next time the towers is up and I have enough time for this. Bonus of the baton is the slow effect from the proc, but it will probably be of not much use if Blizzard is constantly up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigenari View Post
    Did this as Frost the other day. To be honest, as much as people are complaining about RNG (and it can be a factor if a rune spawns right on top of Karam) it's much less RNG are much more just staying calm and prioritising mechanics.

Some key points:
    - Bear Tartare really does help quite a lot, and can save you a shimmer charge when Karam or the adds get too close
    - You have longer than you think to kill the hands. Get in a good position before you pump damage into them.
    - Try to have Nova/Cone up in P3 for bad rune placements. Worst case scenario you can Ice Block one, and if things go really wrong you also have Cold Snap for a 2nd.
    - High IV uptime is key here. You can get plenty of Frozen Orbs off provided that you prioritise putting Blizzard down in a good place on cooldown. If hands are up and you stop using Blizzard while you focus on killing them, losing that Frozen Orb CD is going to put you much further behind than taking the 1.5s to keep it up.
    - Don't burn Raest. I know basically everyone suggests ignoring Karam in P3, but honestly unless you're sitting at 910+ ilvl it's way less stressful to keep the pressure up on Karam because provided that you've been using Ice Barrier on cooldown and haven't taken any stupid damage, you'll have more than enough health left to burn Raest down afterwards.
    - Run with Frozen Touch. Splitting Ice might cleave onto Raest in P3 but you don't want to kill adds, and FT is going to net you potentially higher ST burst which is useful for hands, and higher IV uptimes. It's very helpful when your duration is running low and you get a good string of procs to keep it going for your next orb.
    - Ultimately, with the exception of hands and killing Raest once Karam is down, this isn't a DPS race and as long as you focus on maintaining IV and dealing with the mechanics, Blizzard and FO will whittle Raest down as you kill Karam, leaving you with very little to do afterwards.

I did this with Sephuz and KJBW at ilvl 900, the latter only seeing any use on pull before any adds spawned. It's not really much of a gear check at all; the main focus here is on proper execution.
    It's nearly ALL rng, lol you even follow up your statement with a disclaimer.

The mechanics are VERY simple, kite a guy, interrupt a super long cast ... and then there's the runes. I did 15 attempts cold (no guide or reading about it) where the rune spawned in the purple circles next to adds every time, 100% of the time, I thought that was the mechanic. Asked a guildie at first who'd completed it how to deal with the giant add that spawns from one of the random purple slowing circles and he replied, "oh yeah, that's bad luck, on the attempts where that happens it's just a wipe". Decided to check out a guide at that point, of which every single one says the exact same thing.

Beating the challenge is just putting in attempts until you get good rng and the runes have good placement. There aren't any kill videos that don't have incredibly lucky placement.

Some people get good placement early, and some people get it after a fair amount of attempts, but it's important for people to know that rng of the rune placement can 100% just be a wipe and to just brush it off and keep going until they have better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post

The mechanics are VERY simple, kite a guy, interrupt a super long cast ... and then there's the runes. I did 15 attempts cold (no guide or reading about it) where the rune spawned in the purple circles next to adds every time, 100% of the time, I thought that was the mechanic. Asked a guildie at first who'd completed it how to deal with the giant add that spawns from one of the random purple slowing circles and he replied, "oh yeah, that's bad luck, on the attempts where that happens it's just a wipe". Decided to check out a guide at that point, of which every single one says the exact same thing.

Beating the challenge is just putting in attempts until you get good rng and the runes have good placement. There aren't any kill videos that don't have incredibly lucky placement.

Some people get good placement early, and some people get it after a fair amount of attempts, but it's important for people to know that rng of the rune placement can 100% just be a wipe and to just brush it off and keep going until they have better luck.
    except that problem can be 100% mitigated by using a pet..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    except that problem can be 100% mitigated by using a pet..
    This is why I probably will not run with LW as in many videos. I also find the extra pet nova quite useful.

I did this pre ToS, and honestly the trait that makes Blizzard instant when Frozen Orb is up makes this trivial. If you use 2x Blizzard during each orb the cooldown will pretty much be up at all times giving you more than enough FoF to just go ham on Karam and Hands also Pet Nova for emergency FoF procs/Kiting.

Only noteable Legendary used was the Gloves, I didnt have any "non aoe" legendaries except for the fire helm so I used that too for the stats.
    I did this because I wanted the adds to stay alive for aslong as possible for Blizzard and Orb spam

Was about 893 at the point, did it with the pet. Make a macro with /petmoveto (or something in that order) you wont have to worry at all with the runes, just see where its spawning.

I went for killing Karam first.
    Aslong as you dont soak a Hand cast or a "weak" Karam hit you should be able to straight up "1v1" Raest later on. He was around 60% if I remember right when I had my "1v1"
    I soaked one hand cast and was around 10% HP when Karam died. I had to use my Ice Blocks to Raest to soak a cast + letting my pet take the next one.

TLR Kill Karam first, Pet + Instant Blizzard makes this too easy (Unless you severly overgear it, just nuke Raest and spam Orb+Blizzards on Karam)

10+ Year Old Account

Like someone already said, you can have your pet go and stand in the runes so its not RNG.

Fight was a lot of fun, once you get the rhythm down it isn't so bad. Tip for the hands if you're having trouble with them: wait until the very end of the cast to interrupt for more dps time on them, you can also soak a grasp IF YOU HAVE TO if you have Belo'vir and an ice barrier up. Can also use an ice block, cold snap and another ice block, by then your interrupt is back up again and so forth.

El o el "I cant do it and I dont want to use my pet, better blame RNG"

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have only done a couple of trys some weeks ago and will probably do some serious trys next time the towers is up and I have enough time for this. Bonus of the baton is the slow effect from the proc, but it will probably be of not much use if Blizzard is constantly up.
    If you do a good job with frozen orb and blizzard placement, they both make it extremely easy to keep using the other. Blanketing the middle circle with the 2 makes it damn near impossible for Magespear to get to you.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Preplol View Post
    El o el "I cant do it and I dont want to use my pet, better blame RNG"
    Did it just fine, don't make assumptions. Also was one of the first players to complete warlock green fire, in dungeon blues at 463 ilvl, as well as most of the class challenges on alts that are ~890 ilvl. I also have 9 characters with mistwalker titles that I got on high pop servers, and held every unique title until they announced that we wouldn't be keeping them. For what it's worth (it's not, it's a video game), you probably aren't better at pushing keyboard buttons and moving a little video game guy around with a mouse than I am. I highly doubt you completed it without watching guides, and might not have even bothered attempting it without crutches.

It's helpful for me to let people know that rng is a huge factor and good luck is absolutely required if using lonely winter. As some others that quoted constructively and helpfully said, the pet can apparently soak the runes. I obviously didn't think that part through and that is incredibly helpful information for ppl who haven't completed it yet, probably saves quite a few attempts. The rest of the mechanics are incredibly easy, so using the elemental makes sense for strategy, wish I'd thought of that.

Did it just fine, don't make assumptions. Also was one of the first players to complete warlock green fire, in dungeon blues at 463 ilvl, as well as most of the class challenges on alts that are ~890 ilvl. I also have 9 characters with mistwalker titles that I got on high pop servers, and held every unique title until they announced that we wouldn't be keeping them. For what it's worth (it's not, it's a video game), you probably aren't better at pushing keyboard buttons and moving a little video game guy around with a mouse than I am. I highly doubt you completed it without watching guides, and might not have even bothered attempting it without crutches.

Why do you start a chest-thumping post with a "don't make assumptions" line and then almost immediately start making assumptions about another player?

Deleted
    Pet and Ice Time Lego made this very straight forward for me when mage tower first launched, with gear in the high 890s.

It's helpful for me to let people know that rng is a huge factor and good luck is absolutely required if using lonely winter. As some others that quoted constructively and helpfully said, the pet can apparently soak the runes. I obviously didn't think that part through and that is incredibly helpful information for ppl who haven't completed it yet, probably saves quite a few attempts. The rest of the mechanics are incredibly easy, so using the elemental makes sense for strategy, wish I'd thought of that.
    I like how youre telling me to not make assumptions when you assume I HAD to watch guides
    Yes I read how people did this encounter, however most of them rushed down Raest, me personally killed Karam first because I read that this despawns everything, and running in circles gets boring after some time
    Since were bragging about old achievements, I did the Warlock Greenfire questline, in what week 2 of Isle of Thunder Patch dont even remember what gear I had back then, probably wasnt good at all beacuse my MS was Demo at that point, ive gotten Duelist twice in MoP So theres that. Hell I even started playing WoW mid MoP

You chose to ignore all the threads apperently, been mentioned countless times that using the pet makes this trivial

You dont get a special snowflake achievement for doing this without a pet, infact I highly doubt anyone cares how you got it, if people want to wait for Argus gear to powerhouse this, fine
    Last edited by Preplol; 2017-07-24 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammonflaps View Post
    Pet and Ice Time Lego made this very straight forward for me when mage tower first launched, with gear in the high 890s.
    I thought using Ice Time would make the adds die too quickly and mess with the orb/blizzard rotation, but I guess you didn't find that to be an issue?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reasonabledoubt View Post
    I thought using Ice Time would make the adds die too quickly and mess with the orb/blizzard rotation, but I guess you didn't find that to be an issue?
    It didn't do enough damage to cause problems, but the extra nova was great. With the constant frost orb uptime, you pretty much get a bonus nova every 10secs, with pet nova for emergencies the dude just couldn't get close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammonflaps View Post
    It didn't do enough damage to cause problems, but the extra nova was great. With the constant frost orb uptime, you pretty much get a bonus nova every 10secs, with pet nova for emergencies the dude just couldn't get close to me.
    He DRs on Nova so it's better to keep that as an "oh shit" if you need to kill a hand or something. I found that he was always slowed past p2 because blizzard is up 100% of the time.

I also found that 2pc t20 made this insanely easy. Once you reach p2 and adds start spawning you pretty much have orb out every 10 seconds so you can bank on +20% crit dmg from that point on. Pot, lust, IV had me bursting him down to about 40% in p2. Then you deal with hands (bank FOF and BF procs and you can kill them before even interrupting them) and parking your pet on add spawn zones. After second Purgatory, twin is perma-slowed with blizzard and you just finish the fight. I had a hand spawn on the other side of the map so i just iceblocked the cast and burned Raest the last 10% and finished the fight. You honestly don't even have to move that much if you play Shimmer. If twin gets close just shimmer to the other side of the center circle and turret until he gets close again, blink back to other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Holovik View Post
    He DRs on Nova so it's better to keep that as an "oh shit" if you need to kill a hand or something. I found that he was always slowed past p2 because blizzard is up 100% of the time.

I also found that 2pc t20 made this insanely easy. Once you reach p2 and adds start spawning you pretty much have orb out every 10 seconds so you can bank on +20% crit dmg from that point on. Pot, lust, IV had me bursting him down to about 40% in p2. Then you deal with hands (bank FOF and BF procs and you can kill them before even interrupting them) and parking your pet on add spawn zones. After second Purgatory, twin is perma-slowed with blizzard and you just finish the fight. I had a hand spawn on the other side of the map so i just iceblocked the cast and burned Raest the last 10% and finished the fight. You honestly don't even have to move that much if you play Shimmer. If twin gets close just shimmer to the other side of the center circle and turret until he gets close again, blink back to other side.
    Do we still need to kill karam or just Raest is enough? I'm asking this because i'm trying to kill karam first everytime of fear that he wil just get too many stacks and become impossible to slow him after some time.