Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There are multiple things at play. Most dogs are fixed. Unfixed dogs bite more often. Pit bulls are more likely to jot be fixed leading to more bites period. Many dogs look like pits and they are often called pits and bites reported as such even when it is not. There was once even a husky who bit someone yet papers reported it as a pit bull yet ran it along side with images of the husky in question.
    That's making a lot of assumptions here. For one, that fixing pitbulls makes them less likely to bite. I can't find any study that shows this to be true. Lots of hearsay, but no actual study. Secondly, less likely to bite doesn't change they could still bite. You're also assuming that every pitbull should be fixed, but that does bring up the problem of reproduction of more pitbulls. Thirdly, false reports of dog breeds, but I already showed that dog breeds are bullshit and other "breeds" are a mix of Pitbulls.

Like I said before, stop buying large dogs. Buy a Paris Hilton size dog and you're fine, or buy a cat. Cats are too lazy to kill people, and even when they're angry they're just funny to laugh at. The only reason to get a Pitbull like dog is cause you want it to protect your home, in which case not only you're aware of the dogs trait to be aggressive, but you want it to be aggressive as a form of protection. Why else would you own it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    That's making a lot of assumptions here. For one, that fixing pitbulls makes them less likely to bite. I can't find any study that shows this to be true. Lots of hearsay, but no actual study. Secondly, less likely to bite doesn't change they could still bite. You're also assuming that every pitbull should be fixed, but that does bring up the problem of reproduction of more pitbulls. Thirdly, false reports of dog breeds, but I already showed that dog breeds are bullshit and other "breeds" are a mix of Pitbulls.

Like I said before, stop buying large dogs. Buy a Paris Hilton size dog and you're fine, or buy a cat. Cats are too lazy to kill people, and even when they're angry they're just funny to laugh at. The only reason to get a Pitbull like dog is cause you want it to protect your home, in which case not only you're aware of the dogs trait to be aggressive, but you want it to be aggressive as a form of protection. Why else would you own it?

That data on it I have posted on here before in one of these dog topics. Pretty much all dog bits by Pits were made by unfixed dogs, unfixed dogs are more aggressive. it is why a Labrador, America's favorite dog, can kill a baby and it is no surprise to find it was not fixed.

Also I don't like cats, if they were any bigger they would be a bigger problem than dogs. They're barely domesticated, on a domestication scale they're like the Chinese crested.

Are you telling me I can't find a pit bull cute ? Isn't that a good reason?

Dogs aren't monsters. What are you even babbling about..?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    That data on it I have posted on here before in one of these dog topics. Pretty much all dog bits by Pits were made by unfixed dogs, unfixed dogs are more aggressive. it is why a Labrador, America's favorite dog, can kill a baby and it is no surprise to find it was not fixed.
    I'm not about to hunt down your previous posts in previous threads to determine if your argument holds water. I have found articles that do explain that Spayed or Neutered dogs behavior doesn't change at all.

"There are too many measures for me to report in detail, however the main results were the same across all three samples of dogs. Given that one of the accepted behavioral reasons for spaying and neutering is to reduce aggression, the distressing results of these studies is that spayed and neutered dogs actually show considerably more aggression. Depending upon the specific form of aggression (owner directed, stranger directed etc.) the size of these effects is quite large, varying from a low of around a 20 percent increase to more than double the level of aggression in the neutered dogs as measured by the C-BARQ scoring scale. A further surprise was that these effects were similar for both males and females.One slight difference between males and females is that for male dogs the age at which they are neutered makes no difference in the increase of aggression relative to intact dogs, however for females early spaying (before the dog is one year of age) causes a considerably larger increase in aggression relative to later spaying."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ed-or-neutered
    Also I don't like cats, if they were any bigger they would be a bigger problem than dogs. They're barely domesticated, on a domestication scale they're like the Chinese crested.
    Yes but cats aren't bigger, at least the common house cat, and they aren't a problem. Domesticated or not, a cat isn't a threat to any human being.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Are you telling me I can't find a pit bull cute ?
    Nobody said that.
    Isn't that a good reason?
    For having a potentially dangerous animal? Are you serious? Hey I like Lions, and I have the friendliest Lion in the world. Sometimes he escapes but that's ok cause he won't eat anyone, I promise.

Dogs aren't monsters. What are you even babbling about..?
    Dogs can be dangerous. This isn't for debate. Dog isn't a human being, it can't be reasoned with. And there's a lot of dog cases in courts.

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    Nope. Normalize the stats over population size and pit bulls aren't #1. They have big numbers because they have a significantly larger population when compared to other large breeds.

Any tendency for significant aggression towards people would have been bred out of any breed of dog. It's not a useful trait.

As it stands, even the worst offending breeds by the stats are significantly less dangerous to be around than other people.
    pits are 8% of the dog population and commit well over 70% of the problems

i take it back, those numbers are too conservative
    http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2013.php
    Last edited by truckboattruck; 2017-07-20 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Hell, I'd be for requiring owners of these dogs to have to prove that they can handle them and apply for a license to do so in order to ever have them. These things are as dangerous as a firearm (actually more so, as I pointed out above). No license to own aggressive dogs, then no ownership.....period. Anyone found owning one without a license could then face heavy fines and jail time along with the dog being put down. End of story.
    Oh the irony..........
    You just spewing random bullshit.

Any dog can be aggressive just because its a pit doesn't instantly make it worse.
    But you keep on going you know nothing will change but you insist of removing a whole breed just cause they began the breed as fighting/guard dogs.

What happened to the girl is terrible but it isn't the breeds fault.
    Its the owner and how the dog was raised, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Oh the irony..........
    You just spewing random bullshit.

Any dog can be aggressive just because its a pit doesn't instantly make it worse.
    But you keep on going you know nothing will change but you insist of removing a whole breed just cause they began the breed as fighting/guard dogs.

What happened to the girl is terrible but it isn't the breeds fault.
    Its the owner and how the dog was raised, nothing else.
    If we killed every Pit Bull in the US this year you'd eliminate over 80% of dog related deaths and permanent injuries. We require special license to own all sorts of animals, many less dangerous than Pit Bulls.

I agree with the sentiment that the owners are to blame, but if it had been a domesticated tiger which attacked this girl I feel there would be a much different interpretation of public ownership of tigers.

Which is not to say that we need to cull the entire population of Pit Bulls, you could grandfather them out fairly quickly by just making it illegal to have them breed and forcing sterilization on all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    If we killed every Pit Bull in the US this year you'd eliminate over 80% of dog related deaths and permanent injuries. We require special license to own all sorts of animals, many less dangerous than Pit Bulls.

I agree with the sentiment that the owners are to blame, but if it had been a domesticated tiger which attacked this girl I feel there would be a much different interpretation of public ownership of tigers.

Which is not to say that we need to cull the entire population of Pit Bulls, you could grandfather them out fairly quickly by just making it illegal to have them breed and forcing sterilization on all of them.
    My point was not to blame the animal because every animal can end up in the situation the pitbull was.
    I have no problem with people getting licensed to own a pitbull or any other type of big breeds.
    My problem is with people who just blame it on the animals because lets be honest there 2 type of animals wild ones and domesticated ones.

That dog was clearly a wild one been kept in domesticated enviroment not for it therefor you get these things happening.
    And no its not the dogs fault that they get brain dead owners.

Except it would just shift to the next non-banned dogs, just like it did for GSD, Rotts, Chows... pretending like this isn't a cycle of shit owners and is breed specific is retarded in the face of history.

When will that stop though? Breed out the pitbulls and the shit owners/thugs will use another breed that is menacing and strong. Are rottweilers next on the chopping block?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    When will that stop though? Breed out the pitbulls and the shit owners/thugs will use another breed that is menacing and strong. Are rottweilers next on the chopping block?
    Well it'd be an interesting thing to look at, because I think there are reasons other than it being a "big strong fighting dog" that makes people get one. Right now I believe the high incidence of ownership is related to the fact that there are so many underground breeders out there because having a dog that can be sold cheap for fighting, sold cheap for pet ownership, and bred easily.

I contend the reason that the dogs are so prevalent, especially among poor communities, is simply a function of price. The dogs are clogging up kennels who will basically pay people to take them.

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    pits are 8% of the dog population and commit well over 70% of the problems

i take it back, those numbers are too conservative
    http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2013.php
    I have trouble taking DogBites.org at its word. It is an explicitly anti-pitt bull site, which I get. The creator was attacked by a pitt bull. The site pushes a narrative, and not objective information. The methods used for gathering its data is simply going to yield bad results, combine that with their mission statement and you have a source the isn't very compelling unless their narrative fits your world view.

I've seen very different stats. But I didn't save it and can't find it, it's probably in a thread somewhere on here. But I'm not going to try and hunt it down at this time. So my claim is going to be less supported atm. Lol. Earlier in this thread there were studies that demonstrated that the breed is not significantly more aggressive than any other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

and there I got a pitty becasue they are huge sociable snugglebugs who love being with their humans, are incredibly eager to please (very similar to labs actualy)
    and
    because there are so prevalent in the shelters thanks to human stupidity, that they need to be rescued more then any other breed

I absolutely positively didn't her her for protection. they bloody suck at it. if i wanted a dog for protection, i would have gotten a trained shepard or possibly a doberman, since they are far more suited for it in terms of their temperament.

small dogs are tiny and fragile and just.. you cannot snuggle in to sleep with them, I would be afraid to squish and hurt them accidentally in my sleep. not to mention playing with them, or taking them hiking, dear god, hiking with a small dog is like.. yeah, you are basically carrying them most of the way, they are far too small to keep up with you for full length of the trail.

take your irrational hatred of larger dogs and SHOVE it.

P.S. the irony here is.. dogs are the ones that starve next to their humans if humans die unexpectedly while cats are the ones most likely to eat the body. they are also the ones most likely to randomly snap at you and bite/scratch, just because.. I don't know. no one knows. not even cats themselves know why they suddenly decided to go all "MURDER" on you. with dogs? I know. they warn you when something is off.

oh and also. I think it was brought up before, but... there were plenty of cases of when popular dogs have gone bad. a movie came out and everyone wanted the cute puppy from the movie, next thing you know, they are being severely overbred, taken in by people completely unsuitable for ANY dog ownership, let alone dogs that require some handling experience, soon abandoned and just... mayhem and bites ensue. every. damn. time. meanwhile, the only dog that has ever bitten me? like seriously bitten me, meaning to hurt me? was a jack russel terrier. a small dog.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-07-22 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    What? My Pug is the perfect snuggler. They were bred to be lapdogs and do it well. And she's not that fragile - she's pretty hearty. She won't be going on a hike with me, but there's plenty of small breeds that can do it with no problem. Like the Jack Russell, Rat terrier and Tibetan Terrier, to name a few.
    as much as I adore pugs (back when we were still acclimating our rescue rotty about, dear lord, almost 20 years ago, we met a pug in a dog run that helped so much with getting her more confident and just befriending her - that pugs always kept a special place in her heart. and mine), but they have so many breathing issues. when they were breeding them, they should NOT have gone for faces THAT squished. and even so, snuggling a pug while awake - yep. snuggling one while going to sleep? i would be an anxious wreck and get no sleep whatsoever. yes, I am that weirdo.

either way. i have nothing against small dogs personally. just from experience as a dog walker (not anymore but I was one for some time when I was younger) - I tend to be very suspicious of humans that overwhelmingly prefer small dogs for reasons other then limited living space. because the biggest issues I've had were ALL with small dogs. thanks to their owners thinking - aww, they are small and unagressive, so i will just let them misbehave all they want, after all, they cannot do any damage, right? right? i still have a scar to show otherwise. and no, that didn't make me hate all Jack Russels, I still think they are great dogs. WHEN TRAINED and TREATED well. and yeah, jack Russels can keep up with you on a hike, but they still don't have that super huggable size. for me.

I just feel more comfortable hugging a large dog than a small one, is all.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-07-22 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Having my pug has made me prefer smaller breeds. The largest I'd go if I got another dog is Shiba Inu size. For our life, with my husband being in the Military, it's easier to have a small dog because we travel often. My older dog is about the size of a border collie and that's just too big for us. I love and adore him, though. Also, as dogs get older, no matter the size, you have to be more fragile with all of them.
    well... I could see how moving would be easier with a smaller dog, for sure. but we live in a countryside and don't plan on moving much at all anytime soon within the next few decades at least. its true you do have to be more gentle as they get older regardless of the size, and its certainly a bonus for if they need walking assistance, its much easier to carry around smaller dog then a larger one. but there's still that comfort level. I just have more of it with larger dogs. I can be absentminded sometimes and its much easier for me to see a puppy napping near by (watching me cook >_> ) and not stumble over them, when they are larger. among other things.

funny thing is, I started out with wanting a cocker spaniel. british or american version, either one. life had other plans. at least i can tell myself that unlike certain larger dogs, cockers just by relative rarities tend not to end up in shelters that much. they still suffer from overbreeding and puppy mills, unfortunately, but not to the extreme degree of bully dogs.

Deleted
    that is just terrible