Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Florida-man will set them right.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Why? Why should it be illegal to put your own safety above others?
    Because you live in a society, Don't like it then leave.

The law is within reason, It doesn't mean you must take a bullet for someone. But if you see a person drowning then you should try to help.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

The law is within reason, It doesn't mean you must take a bullet for someone. But if you see a person drowning then you should try to help.
    Most people can't swim well enough to save a person drowning fully clothed, but they didn't even try to call anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Most people can't swim well enough to save a person drowning fully clothed, but they didn't even try to call anyone else.
    Right like I said within reason, They could have called the cops or try to get someone near by to help. If a person does nothing to help they should be charged with Manslaughter.

Since the cop's didn't find out for three day's, These kids should be charged with Murder.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not arguing the morality of it. Yes, if you see someone drowning, offering aid (even if it's only calling the police) is the right thing to do. We can all agree about that.

Why should person A be legally forced to offer assistance to person B in a potentially lethal situation when there is the potential for person A to also become lethally threatened?

Personally, I'd call for help anomalously and then leave as quickly as possible to avoid getting involved any further. I don't want to be involved in other people's problems.

If a person does nothing to help they should be charged with Manslaughter.
    Since the cop's didn't find out for three day's, These kids should be charged with Murder.
    I hate to break it to you, but that isn't how either of those charges work. Fortunately people like you don't have any authority on the matter, else the country would be even worse. They're assholes, but they committed no crime. Especially not a crime you could charge someone that young with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weltmacht View Post
    Is it really not in America? In Finland it sure as hell is.
    Nope.

I have to take a first aid class every year We're told to "wait until they pass out" if they refuse help.

"Duty to rescue" is limited in US and various throughout the country.

FL actually has "duty to rescue" laws where you have to at least man an attempt to call the police I believe.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    but they committed no crime.
    In Florida you are correct, In many other states you are 100% wrong.

In those states they would be charged with manslaughter by negligence. So I hate to break it to you but u clearly don't know how those charges work.

- - - Updated - - -

Why should person A be legally forced to offer assistance to person B in a potentially lethal situation when there is the potential for person A to also become lethally threatened?
    This has already been answered by me and others. It was even answered within the quote you reply'ed to.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has already been answered by me and others. It was even answered within the quote you reply'ed to.
    Living within a society is not itself a justified reason to force people to save each other.

So wait it's not a crime to stand there and not call the police when someone's life is in danger? I could have sworn that was a law to at bare minimum call the police, maybe it's on a state by state basis? Either fuck these kids, hopefully they get what's coming to them.

I'd find them and lock them all away, they are not morally fit to be a part of society.
    But this is hardly the first time something like this has happened, unbelievably.

I am far from the nicest person in the world.

But if I saw YOU in need of help? I'd do ANYTHING I could to help you.
    A man in the middle of a lake though ..
    I .. I'd be terrified for his life, but I'm not a strong enough swimmer to go in after him.
    He'd just pull me under and drown us both.
    I have no idea what I'd do but I'd be looking for something, ANYTHING I could do for him.

I just know I'm way too weak of a swimmer to rescue anyone.

Unsurprising given their age and the time we live in, kids in merca now just don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    So wait it's not a crime to stand there and not call the police when someone's life is in danger? I could have sworn that was a law to at bare minimum call the police, maybe it's on a state by state basis? Either fuck these kids, hopefully they get what's coming to them.
    Not in Florida sadly, Florida doesn't have a Good Samaritan law. Sadly based on the full story in the link, The kids won't be charged with anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Living within a society is not itself a justified reason to force people to save each other.
    Your opinion isn't fact, feel free to leave society or live in a area where it isn't the law if you disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Mage View Post
    I'd find them and lock them all away, they are not morally fit to be a part of society.
    But this is hardly the first time something like this has happened, unbelievably.

I am far from the nicest person in the world.

But if I saw YOU in need of help? I'd do ANYTHING I could to help you.
    A man in the middle of a lake though ..
    I .. I'd be terrified for his life, but I'm not a strong enough swimmer to go in after him.
    He'd just pull me under and drown us both.
    I have no idea what I'd do but I'd be looking for something, ANYTHING I could do for him.

I just know I'm way too weak of a swimmer to rescue anyone.
    Even something as simple as calling 911 would be enough. I mean fuck they had a phone and only used it to record his death...

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Unsurprising given their age and the time we live in, kids in merca now just don't give a fuck.

Why does it have to be kids in America and not just kids? Isn't there literally a video of some teens killing a guy with a hammer over from the Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    He obviously should have pulled himself up by his shoelaces. /s

That sort of mentality leads to atrocities like the one in the video.
    Maybe it was a Nazi they watched drown, making them heroes of Democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your opinion isn't fact, feel free to leave society or live in a area where it isn't the law if you disagree.
    I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the concept you brought up.

I didn't know that giving a fuck about others was such a hard concept to understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know that giving a fuck about others was such a hard concept to understand.
    There are people I like that I wouldn't jump into a river to save.

But we're just talking in circles at this point, so whatever.

Deleted
    Let's hypothesise your child drowned. How would you feel in regards to these kids filming it and bragging about it online?

They could have called the cops or try to get someone near by to help. If a person does nothing to help they should be charged with Manslaughter.
    There was no realistic opportunity for any authorities to save this man. The watchers' attitude is disturbing, but they cannot be held responsible for something they couldn't prevent. The guilt is on the drowned man, who swam in a not allowed place.
    These kids should be charged with Murder.
    You cannot charge anyone with murder of a person who died in accident.