Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    I'm probably going to regret this, but I'm going to try and explain for the people who are calling it cowardly.

Someone in their 40s who has had depression most of their life doesn't suicide because of their pain. They aren't 'giving up'. Pain is something a person with lifelong depression lives with every single day, to the point where it's as much a part of who they are as how tall they are or what color their eyes are. It's hard to even imagine what life would be like without the pain. If that was enough to kill them, it'd have happened at the start of it all when they were still young. Someone may talk about wanting to stop the pain, but that's pretty natural. Pain sucks. It's not generally the trigger point.

Depression is a mental health disorder. Like most mental health disorders, it comes with it's own set of delusional thoughts. Someone can know that a thought is delusional, they can be aware of all sorts of logic that argues against it, but deep down inside these thoughts are very real to the person, and fighting them is like arguing against the sky being blue. It's a self-truth so obvious that it simply can't be any other way. When depression turns suicidal, the thought process that tends to be the dangerous one is generally the one that starts with "I am in a lot of pain" (true), moves to "My pain is affecting the other people in my life" (also generally true), then to "I am hurting the people I care about" (debatable), and finally "The best thing I can do for the people I love is to remove myself from their lives" (delusional thought). When someone honestly and truly believes that they would be helping their family and friends by killing themselves, then you have someone who is at a serious risk of actually doing it. That's why people in that position push people away so hard. It's not that they don't care about their family and friends, they're hoping that if they can convince others in their life to not care about them then it will be better for those people.

And honestly, it's okay that most people here don't really understand. If you haven't faced the reality of mental health related delusional thinking, it's really impossible to truly grasp how real and powerful the thoughts are. That's a good thing, I wouldn't wish true understanding of it on anyone, it is a horrible thing to go through. But the idea that it is somehow a cowardly action is one of the barriers that makes it more difficult for people suffering to get help. They're not lacking in bravery, they're simply basing their decisions upon a thought that is wrong, which leads to the wrong decision being made.

So yeah. Suicide is a bad thing. It's wrong. If it was the correct decision, based upon sound and reasonable logic, depression wouldn't be a considered a mental health disorder. But fighting depression is a lot like fighting cancer. Some people beat it, some people don't, and the difference is generally more about which one got proper treatment at an early enough stage than which one is a 'stronger' person. Sometimes being strong, successful, rich, etc... still isn't enough.

(Source: Over twenty years of depression and two serious suicide attempts, and I'm still here. I've never given up, I'm never going to give up. A coward wouldn't last one year with the kind of fighting it takes to live a reasonably normal life through depression.)
    you just confirmed my theory its selfish and i agree with your argument about ppl with depression that they have wrong premises and at the end wrong conclusion and thats why its menthal illness

Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    you are grateful for what you have and you dont dwell on it..there are worse situations then yours..Thats why i am telling all depressed ppl are selfish not seeing bigger picture and how it affects others in that picture
    It's not always something that a person controls.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    you just confirmed my theory its selfish and i agree with your argument about ppl with depression that they have wrong premises and at the end wrong conclusion and thats why its menthal illness
    If 'selfish' is what you got out of that, you either didn't read what I said or completely failed to understand it. If anything, the motivation is selfless. The idea is to sacrifice oneself for the betterment of those that the person cares about. It's WRONG, but it's not selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    If 'selfish' is what you got out of that, you either didn't read what I said or completely failed to understand it. If anything, the motivation is selfless. The idea is to sacrifice oneself for the betterment of those that the person cares about. It's WRONG, but it's not selfish.
    how is it not selfish if you have family and kids, dont other ppl in family have feelings to you and how would they feel if you are dead..dont ppl think about that wtf.. and if you think it would be easier for them then do you actually think they would put up with your BS all this time
    Last edited by Ianus; 2017-07-21 at 01:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    how is it not selfish if you have family and kids, dont other ppl in family have feelings to you and how would they feel if you are dead..dont ppl think about that wtf.. and if you think it would be easier for them then do you actually think they would put up with your BS all this time
    You don't think clearly/logically when severely depressed

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    how is it not selfish if you have family and kids, dont other ppl in family have feelings to you and how would they feel if you are dead..dont ppl think about that wtf
    Yes, they think about that. They think that their depression is hurting these people. They think that they are a great burden upon the people that they care about, and that those people's lives would be improved by their removal from it. Do you think a depressed person is unaware of how difficult it can be for others to live with someone who is always hurting? The thought process tends to be "Yes, these people will be sad about my death, but that's a temporary sadness and then they can get on with their lives. My being here is hurting them every day, and that won't go away as long as I live."

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    You don't think clearly/logically when severely depressed
    ok then its flaw in logical conclusion which is caused with some trauma or traumas from life..ok

Deleted
    how is it not selfish if you have family and kids, dont other ppl in family have feelings to you and how would they feel if you are dead..dont ppl think about that wtf
    Don't talk about stuff you know nothing about. If you've never felt true depression and this heavy, disabling feeling in your stomach, you have as little right to judge, as a rich male catholic bishop has to talk about abortion.

Expecting from someone suffering to think about others first, is bloody ignorant by itself. I mean, what are you even suggesting? Staying alive and breathing is one thing, but you have to "function", in order for it to be worth anything. Drinking yourself to death is far worse, for anyone involved.

In the end, you don't live for others, it's your life. In hindsight, you might say "well then don't have children and friends". But that's not how it works. You try, and sometimes fail.

Don't judge people who fail.
    Last edited by mmoc1848483d5d; 2017-07-21 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captmcneil View Post
    Don't talk about stuff you know nothing about. If you've never felt true depression and this heavy, disabling feeling in your stomach, you have as little right to judge, as a rich male catholic bishop has to talk about abortion.

Expecting from someone suffering to think about others first, is bloody ignorant by itself. I mean, what are you even suggesting? Staying alive and breathing is one thing, but you have to "function", in order for it to be worth anything. Drinking yourself to death is far worse, for anyone involved.

In the end, you don't live for others, it's your life. In hindsight, you might say "well then don't have children and friends". But that's not how it works. You try, and sometimes fail.

Don't judge people who fail.
    with your thinking you are only one suffering in the world and talking how its just your life just confirms my theory being selfish and wanting to be on some kind of special pedestal ..when in truth everyone has some kind of suffering and there are many worse situations that ppl are in ..

10+ Year Old Account
    This was a huge shocker to me. I grew up listening to Linkin Park, the Hybrid Theory and Meteora albums. Hybrid Theory was one of the very first CDs I ever bought. It's what introduced me to rock/metal music. I still listen to those albums today. I've listened to them so many times that I memorized the lyrics to almost all the songs on both albums.

It was weird too because the past few days I've been listening to those two albums on my ipod then days later he dies. What sucks too is that he left behind 5 kids.

RIP, man.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-07-21 at 02:18 PM.

Deleted
    yes
    many times.. its just in your head.. cause you know I actually have reason to be depressed..but i cant allow myself to be depressed cause of others
    I severely doubt you were depressed or overestimate the severity of whatever affected you. You don't just "stop" being depressed. It's a particularly grievous mental condition which screws with your ability to reason. The problem was only further irritated by extensive drug and alcohol abuse.

My girlfriend and I both suffer from depression, though hers is chronic. WhenI wasn't doing well I was able to realize now in hindsight how different my thought process was, about how I couldn't enjoy anything anymore. Depression comes back in bursts or it's persistent throughout your life, when you are depressed it never truly goes away. There is a big misconception with most people thinking that as soon as one bad thing happens they are immediately depressed. There's a difference between feeling sad and being depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalael View Post
    I severely doubt you were depressed or overestimate the severity of whatever affected you. You don't just "stop" being depressed. It's a particularly grievous mental condition which screws with your ability to reason. The problem was only further irritated by extensive drug and alcohol abuse.

My girlfriend and I both suffer from depression, though hers is chronic. WhenI wasn't doing well I was able to realize now in hindsight how different my thought process was, about how I couldn't enjoy anything anymore. Depression comes back in bursts or it's persistent throughout your life, when you are depressed it never truly goes away. There is a big misconception with most people thinking that as soon as one bad thing happens they are immediately depressed. There's a difference between feeling sad and being depressed.
    there is difference ofcourse like thinking it would be nice to drive full speed with car in concrete wall it would be so much better..for example

10+ Year Old Account
    with your thinking you are only one suffering in the world and talking how its just your life just confirms my theory being selfish and wanting to be on some kind of special pedestal ..when in truth everyone has some kind of suffering and there are many worse situations that ppl are in ..
    Thanks for confirming that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Thanks for confirming that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about
    whatever darling..its your opinion

10+ Year Old Account
    whatever darling..its your opinion
    Perhaps you should do some actual research, dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I feel like if someone is being a cunt, you should be allowed to say they're being a cunt.
    You can. And just as in life, there are consequences of your actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispirit View Post
    All the best musicians are dropping like flies now =( This is awful news and I just absolutely could not believe it when I was told.

My favorite groups in the 90's were Alice in Chains, Sound garden and Stone Temple Pilots. Between drugs and suicide, we've lost some great talent, very sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I face depression for more than 10 years by now. I run on antidepresants, and to be honest... I have no idea how i survived all this personal mess what happend to me in last 10 years. I feel personally, that facing depression is fight for survival.

It's sad of course Chester commited suicide, i liked his voice in LP songs, bah i even remember this live numb.

He did hell a show with Jay-Z. If we can count it live.

Anger is to be expected in these kind of things. I recall one particular instruction from a police officer that involved a person wanting to jump off a building. And he said emphatically that the last thing you do is join him/her on that precipice to talk him/her down. Because it just may be that; the last thing you do. The person isn't thinking straight, mentally unstable, and s/he may just take you down with him/her.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Depression is awful, and i truly do not understand what it feels like to be in state where you decide taking your own life is the best option. However, when you decide to take your life, especially when you have a wife and SIX children, its not just your decision. His suffering will now pass on to his children, who have to grow up without a father, and a wife, who never gets to see her husband again. If you're I need of help, please seek it, suicide is NEVER the answer, and is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Also, for the people trying to justify his action, just stop. When i was in the military, i had to bury 3 friends in their early 20's from suicide, it makes nothing better.