Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I see nothing wrong with what she's doing. The boss is an asshole.
    OP: Banning cultural headwraps is a surefire way to get discrimination lawsuits and is easily more damaging to a company than an employee showing up in cosplay, for the record.

Seriously. Buying 10-20x overpriced articles of clothing that are nothing but uncomfortable and constricting to the body just for the sake of 'it's how things have been' is fucking stupid. In some ways, it could even be considered a health hazard to not let your body breathe and not feel so constricted.

I think I own like one suit and I haven't used it in years. Now how many times have I worn $10-20 shirts? Pretty much 99.99% of my life.
    For people who wanna get somewhere in life they will dress as expected even if it is old fashioned. I don't care about peoples anecdotal evidence of them getting rich in t-shirts...majority of people who get promoted do so because they act and dress for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    that might be the case in smaller firms or startups, but if you're talking about a more traditional Fortune 500 company, their leadership might still be quite old-school. But like I said, this sort of thing is always evolving so it could always change.

Then there is the idea that work time isn't supposed to be about the individual, but for the company, since a worker is technically paid for his/her time at work. Dress codes might simply play into that idea by saying that a person must place the company above him/herself while at work. I work in scientific sales and whenever I go visit a customer (regardless of whether it's undergrads at a university, small biotech incubators, or huge corporations), I ALWAYS wear at least business casual attire. It shows that I pride myself in representing the company I work for. And I know it is not a feeling shared by everyone, but that's just my take on it.
    I agree entirely.

My company has very different standards for when we're working internally than when we're working with customers. If we're working internally, shorts and flippies are fine. If you're on site, show respect for whatever the local culture of the client is - if that's business casual (it usually is), do that. If it's a damned suit, wear a damned suit. It's just not that hard.

In the case of the OP, it seems obvious that this person is difficult by nature and the company would do well to replace her regardless of any attire issues.

It depends on how often the company has visitors tour the offices. I mean at the very least you could dress it up on those days.
    Who the hell would tour a place like that?

"And this Steven, is where all the hopes and dreams of these fine people go to die. Moving on"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Her original outfit was perfectly acceptable.
    It was to me as well, doesn't matter though. Listen to your boss.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's his business. He has the right to make whatever rules he wants.
    No, he's not allowed to discriminate, amongst other things. Owning a company isn't free reigns to do whatever you feel like. There's always laws and regulations. I'm also pretty sure he's not allowed to arbitrarily make up rules that aren't in the employment contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    For people who wanna get somewhere in life they will dress as expected even if it is old fashioned. I don't care about peoples anecdotal evidence of them getting rich in t-shirts...majority of people who get promoted do so because they act and dress for the job.
    yeah, like the saying goes, dress for the job you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    It was to me as well, doesn't matter though. Listen to your boss.
    Workers rights, It only goes to a point at what you can tell your employee's to wear and if she didn't sign anything that said she can't wear a scarf, sue his ass if he fires you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I agree entirely.

My company has very different standards for when we're working internally than when we're working with customers. If we're working internally, shorts and flippies are fine. If you're on site, show respect for whatever the local culture of the client is - if that's business casual (it usually is), do that. If it's a damned suit, wear a damned suit. It's just not that hard.

In the case of the OP, it seems obvious that this person is difficult by nature and the company would do well to replace her regardless of any attire issues.
    Agree, the workplace is no place for rebels. Come to work, do what is requested and go back home.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Well, a headscarf (despite not being limited to one religion) could scare of potential, say Jewish, customers for example.. Seeing the historical relationship between those 2 isnt exactly peachy.
    Jewish customers would be scared off by headscarves? But Jewish people wear headscarves!

Deleted
    yeah, like the saying goes, dress for the job you want.
    All these people talking about rights when it comes to dresscode, they are the same people complaining when someone else gets promoted over them.

Deleted
    The people always going against rules on the workplace or coming there dressed like a slob never go anywhere in life.

Why is it so difficult to dress proper for some? Money can't be it, you can dress in a decent shirt, pants and leather shoes for the same price you sometimes pay for just a pair of sneakers.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Wouldn't those future employees just face the exact same issue in that case? I don't see how she could have "screwed it up" for them in the theoretical case that the dress codes existed but were not present on her contract. Sounds like she's saved them the trouble if anything.

If they wanted a dress code, it should have been on her contract.
    I say that because, if they are bad enough not to have foreseen this (in case it was indeed a mistake to not have a dressing code), then they will probably be bad again and make a dressing code much stricter than what they would have accepted before all this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I agree entirely.

Her work outfit was professional though.

I don't see anything screaming unprofessional about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Who the hell would tour a place like that?

"And this Steven, is where all the hopes and dream of these fine people go to die. Moving on"
    you don't really work in corporate America do you? this kind of thing is pretty standard. But instead of describing it like you did, the boss would be more like "This is our professional team working diligently to serve your needs". The idea is to minimize the visit and make as little stand out as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    The people always going against rules on the workplace or coming there dressed like a slob never go anywhere in life.

Why is it so difficult to dress proper for some? Money can't be it, you can dress in a decent shirt, pants and leather shoes for the same price you sometimes pay for just a pair of sneakers.

She was dressed fine though...

you don't really work in corporate America do you? this kind of thing is pretty standard. But instead of describing it like you did, the boss would be more like "This is our professional team working diligently to serve your needs". The idea is to minimize the visit and make as little stand out as possible.
    Oh I was just kidding around, I'm just saying. It would be an extremely depressing place to look at. Cubicles farms are just so damn depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Workers rights, It only goes to a point at what you can tell your employee's to wear and if she didn't sign anything that said she can't wear a scarf, sue his ass if he fires you.
    keep in mind that in states with at will employment laws, you can be fired for any or no reason. And there's nothing you can do about it if no reason is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Her work outfit was professional though.

I don't see anything screaming unprofessional about this.
    The headscarf is stupid looking, but it's whatever.

What I'm referring to is the part where someone says, "oh, you want me to wear something different, well I'm to cosplay and sue you". Maybe she'll win the suit, but not having this person working for you would clearly be the best outcome for the company - this is a really dedicated troublemaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

Because its ridiculous and dated. "I can't let tom have this promotion because he wore something comfortable". Its a relic of the 50's.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryDude View Post
    The entire concept of "looking professional" needs to die out.
    Why do you think this? I am generally curious, 99% of "professional jobs" have you at least wear collard shirts with slacks (if you're a guy). Personally, if i go somewhere were i expect a professional environment, i expect people to be dressed fairly professional, i would want to take a mortgage out from someone in gym shorts and a white t-shirt...