Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Oh I was just kidding around, I'm just saying. It would be an extremely depressing place to look at. Cubicles farms are just so damn depressing.
    it could be depressing, and there are avenues by which employees can express their individuality that are much more low-key (personalized mugs, etc). But in the end, it should not matter, because you are paid to be there. If you truly do not enjoy your work, do your time 8 hours a day, and then have an enjoyable time afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    keep in mind that in states with at will employment laws, you can be fired for any or no reason. And there's nothing you can do about it if no reason is given.
    You can't be fired for no reason.

Most jobs have a handbook explaining reasons you can be fired, which overrules the whole "at will employment" you can sue jobs if you they don't you according to their own handbook.

Because its ridiculous and dated. "I can't let tom have this promotion because he wore something comfortable". Its a relic of the 50's.
    I don't see how constraining your hair in a headscarf is "for comfort", but even that point aside, most business casual wear is comfortable enough.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Her original outfit was perfectly acceptable.
    I agree with this, she was wearing a pant suit, and had a head scarf on, if it were a baseball cap, i would have a problem, but it was clearly decorative and looked nice,

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The headscarf is stupid looking, but it's whatever.

What I'm referring to is the part where someone says, "oh, you want me to wear something different, well I'm to cosplay and sue you". Maybe she'll win the suit, but not having this person working for you would clearly be the best outcome for the company - this is a really dedicated troublemaker.
    I say good on her.

They're up in arms about her in a headscarf which a lot of women do... especially if they don't want to spend to much time doing their hair for instance. I've worked in an office with women who would wear headscarfs sometimes.

It's such a silly thing so she's like fuck it I'll follow the rules but not how you intended, all because you were up in arms about a damn headscarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    All these people talking about rights when it comes to dresscode, they are the same people complaining when someone else gets promoted over them.
    It should be her choice to aspire to promotions or not. Land of the free and all that. If she doesn't want promotions, and she is following the rules established when she was contracted, let her be.

Because its ridiculous and dated. "I can't let tom have this promotion because he wore something comfortable". Its a relic of the 50's.
    Signaling conformity and respect is a significant part of corporate culture. Failing to understand the importance of that is what's preventing someone from fitting into some contexts. If, for example, a lawyer chose to wear shorts, they'd be signaling a complete lack of respect for norms, which usually isn't what you're looking for in a lawyer. If a software developer does this, people usually don't care so much, but that just ain't how all places work and having a borderline autistic view of how to interact in business settings just isn't really what companies are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You can't be fired for no reason.

Most jobs have a handbook explaining reasons you can be fired, which overrules the whole "at will employment" you can sue jobs if you they don't you according to their own handbook.
    that is entirely optional. companies are not required to do this, obviously.

I say good on her.

They're up in arms about her in a headscarf which a lot of women do... especially if they don't want to spend to much time doing their hair for instance. I've worked in an office with women who would wear headscarfs sometimes.

It's such a silly thing so she's like fuck it I'll follow the rules but not how you intended, all because you were up in arms about a damn headscarf.
    Well, yeah, that is what you'd say. I think she's a complete asshole and would hate working on a project with her. There's no possible circumstance under which I'd want to hire her going forward. Some people just like to cause trouble and she's obviously one of them. It's not like our differences on this are surprising at all.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2017-07-21 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    It should be her choice to aspire to promotions or not. Land of the free and all that. If she doesn't want promotions, and she is following the rules established when she was contracted, let her be.
    well, like someone posted earlier, this is the kind of employee that the company would have gotten rid of at some point anyway.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    well, like someone posted earlier, this is the kind of employee that the company would have gotten rid of at some point anyway.
    Yes, and its a job, people need to stop acting like they're the most important person in ever aspect of their lives. If you're support staff, act like it, don't like the dress code? aspire to be the boss and make a new one. This is a business owned by someone else, if they want you to wear something, just wear it, or get laid off... simple as that. No ones forcing you to work there, and if you have a comfortable office job like she does, and I do as well, then be grateful, there are a lot of people busting their asses out in the boiling heat and freezing winter.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    The original outfit is fine, i don't see a problem.

The cosplay shit is distracting and she should be fired for that.
    Distracting to who? If your attention span is so abysmal that someone dressing up effects your work that's on you.

She's going to lose her court case and her job.

that is entirely optional. companies are not required to do this, obviously.
    Doesn't matter that they're not require to, the overwhelming majority of jobs do indeed have rules when it comes to firing people which means "at will" gets trumped by the company's rules and you can indeed sue, or arbitrate.. unless you opted out of arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by Selvarion View Post
    Distracting to who? If your attention span is so abysmal that someone dressing up effects your work that's on you.
    You don't show up to work dressed like that period. In business image means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, yeah, that is what you'd say. I think she's a complete asshole and would hate working on a project with her. There's no possible circumstance under which I'd want to hire her going forward. Some people just like to cause trouble and she's obviously one of them. It's not like our differences on this are surprising at all.
    I don't think she is an asshole. I think she is annoyed that a perfectly fine outfit is being called inappropriate even though it is not.

She is showing that the rules are silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    You don't show up to work dressed like that period. In business image means a lot.

She was dressed like this, and this is what was oh so bad.

I don't think she is an asshole. I think she is annoyed that a perfectly fine outfit is being called inappropriate even though it is not.

She is showing that the rules are silly.

- - - Updated - - -

She was dressed like this, and this is what was oh so bad.
    Was talking about the cosplay shit. As far as the head shit goes, they may as well let men wear hats to work if they fold on that.

Deleted
    Her boss is/was a woman, by the way. Article fails attempting to frame this as a women's' rights issue.

This is also old news, and it appears she's no longer employed there after winning the case.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Was talking about the cosplay shit. As far as the head shit goes, they may as well let men wear hats to work if they fold on that.
    A headscarf like that is nothing like a hat...

A headscarf like that is nothing like a hat...
    But it is. Some Texan could want to wear his fancy dress up cowboy hat and so on. A case could be made for anything. She will lose this fight.