2nd monitor help

I got a new computer & the graphics card doesnt have a VGA port for my 2nd monitor. Other than the DVI port hooked up to my main monitor, it has 2x HDMI and 2x DisplayPort. I dont really know the difference between the two types, so can you recommend an adapter for my VGA monitor?

graphics card is Radeon RX 580 (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814137117)
    Last edited by Sharpbladez; 2017-07-21 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpbladez View Post
    I got a new computer & the graphics card doesnt have a VGA port for my 2nd monitor. Other than the DVI port hooked up to my main monitor, it has 2x HDMI and 2x DisplayPort. I dont really know the difference between the two types, so can you recommend an adapter for my VGA monitor?

graphics card is Radeon RX 580 (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814137117)
    The simplified answer for differences in VGA DVI HDMI and Display port. VGA carries up to 1080 @ 60hz It is an analog based signal so the signal will not be as clean video. It supplies no audio.

DVI- 1080p @ 60hz or 4k @ 30hz (unlikely to find this) Digital based signal no audio.

Hdmi. before 2.0, same as the DVI with audio. After 2.0, 4k @ 60hz.

Display port is a beefier HDMI. Carries audio and will supply the highest resolution in standard consumer markets (for now)
    (note: this information is not 100% accurate but should more or less give you a general understanding. I'm sure others know more and may share.)

Converter cables are now cheap to go from HDMI to VGA such as
    https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-HDMI-P...=p_89%3ABelkin

Just be weary the signal may not look the greatest as the converter is using a DAC. The signals clarity will ultimately depend on the resolution of the DAC (Digital to Analog converter). If you keep to lower resolutions, you shouldn't see much if any difference
    Last edited by teamkiller; 2017-07-21 at 03:01 PM.

Deleted
    Can your main monitor take something other than DVI? If so buy a new cable for that and get a DVI to VGA convertor.

Just make sure it is a converter NOT an adapter.

As briefly explained above, VGA is Analog. DVI can be both analog and digital or digital only. The others are digital. An adapter will not convert the signal from digital to analog so your monitor will not work. A Convertor DOES convert the signal from Digital to Analog. Have multiple friends who have made this mistake and went out and just bought an adapter thinking it would work, then called me when it didn't. So I bring my HDMI-to-VGA DAC and show them it does in fact work with a converter, sell them my convertor, because I used it so infrequently, and order a new one. Mine I only use when hooking my projector up to my computer, since it's an older projector with only VGA Input.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    Just be weary the signal may not look the greatest as the converter is using a DAC. The signals clarity will ultimately depend on the resolution of the DAC (Digital to Analog converter). If you keep to lower resolutions, you shouldn't see much if any difference
    Seeing as the monitor only has analog input, I am not sure it would even accept any resolutions at which this would start to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Just make sure it is a converter NOT an adapter.

As briefly explained above, VGA is Analog. DVI can be both analog and digital or digital only. The others are digital. An adapter will not convert the signal from digital to analog so your monitor will not work. A Convertor DOES convert the signal from Digital to Analog. Have multiple friends who have made this mistake and went out and just bought an adapter thinking it would work, then called me when it didn't. So I bring my HDMI-to-VGA DAC and show them it does in fact work with a converter, sell them my convertor, because I used it so infrequently, and order a new one. Mine I only use when hooking my projector up to my computer, since it's an older projector with only VGA Input.

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing as the monitor only has analog input, I am not sure it would even accept any resolutions at which this would start to be a problem.
    As "Converts digital HDMI output to analog VGA signal" is in the description i would assume it does. However, i wonder if things on amazon are always 100% true. If it doesn't work as advertised, send it back and complain.

2 HDMI cables are the easy fix. That's what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    As "Converts digital HDMI output to analog VGA signal" is in the description i would assume it does. However, i wonder if things on amazon are always 100% true. If it doesn't work as advertised, send it back and complain.
    Yeah, I was just saying if he didn't buy that specific one. Maybe he wanted to try to find one at a local store or something. Another peice of advice, as I went through this when I first got my projector, chack your graphics card specs and see if your HDMI carries power. Some don't. If yours does not, you'll need a converter with it's own power supply. I went through 3 convertors, that were actual convertors, that did not work on my older graphics card. I'm pretty sure most modern cards have versions od HDMI which carry power, but early versions do not. Don't know the specifics here, but I think it was HDMI 1.4 or so that started to carry power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    2 HDMI cables are the easy fix. That's what I would do.
    For a monitor that does not have HDMI input, how the fuck is that gonna help?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, I was just saying if he didn't buy that specific one. Maybe he wanted to try to find one at a local store or something. Another peice of advice, as I went through this when I first got my projector, chack your graphics card specs and see if your HDMI carries power. Some don't. If yours does not, you'll need a converter with it's own power supply. I went through 3 convertors, that were actual convertors, that did not work on my older graphics card. I'm pretty sure most modern cards have versions od HDMI which carry power, but early versions do not. Don't know the specifics here, but I think it was HDMI 1.4 or so that started to carry power.

- - - Updated - - -

For a monitor that does not have HDMI input, how the fuck is that gonna help?
    Ah yes very true. As his card is a rx 580, it should have HDMI 2.0 so that should be safe. As the RX 580 is "supposed" to be an entry level card for 4k so its needs at least HDMI 2.0 to put out 4k @60hz

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpbladez View Post
    I don't see any apparent problems with it. It comes with the cables it needs, and has a usb power source if for some reason the 580 cant power the converter by itself. Should work.

Thanks guys. I got that one today & it works great. I appreciate the help!