Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Oo A lady trying to get fired, Im sure it will work.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Oo A lady trying to get fired, Im sure it will work.
    Trying to get fired and grift a settlement for being an asshole would be my guess, based on this line:
    In the meantime, she's waiting for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to investigate the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Trying to get fired and grift a settlement for being an asshole would be my guess, based on this line:
    And theres a good chance she will win, because her boss stated that the head scarf was an issue. Perhaps he should have been the one to suck it up?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Wearing clothing allowed in the contract guidelines isn't "being a bitch".
    Oh come on, this is some straight up passive aggressive bitch work. "Haha I will show them" attitude.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    And theres a good chance she will win, because her boss stated that the head scarf was an issue. Perhaps he should have been the one to suck it up?
    I don't think painfully stupid regulations actually constitute a good moral argument. YMMV.

This is a pretty lame attempt to rescue this position. Really, men don't wear hats to avoid dealing with their hair? OK
    Not typically... because usually they have shorter much more manageable hair. So wearing a fedora or sun hat indoors is just silly. Hats have a specific category which is outdoor wear... scarves are not solely in that category and thats why hats indoors makes less sense than scarves. Are you seriously trying to deny that hats are typically worn only outdoors or something? The only real exceptions are kippahs and turbans.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think painfully stupid regulations actually constitute a good moral argument. YMMV.
    A supreme court ruling disagrees with your opinion. I posted a similar case earlier where the potential employee won their case.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Contract guidelines change as well as job expectations do over time sometimes it's a lot quicker.
    Just some typical today special snowflake hoping to get a payout

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Contract guidelines change as well as job expectations do over time sometimes it's a lot quicker.
    Just some typical today special snowflake hoping to get a payout
    Guidelines cannot controdict the law or constitution though. The employer here is likely going to lose this case.

If she can't make the effort to just dress in an appropriate way for the job,no one's gonna want her.

Also,what happened to keeping your religion for yourself at home and not flaunting it everywhere?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The way she dresses isn't necessarily unprofessional, but the way she's acting is.

"neener neener neener, you didn't explicitly state I can't do this!" It's the argument of a child.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

A supreme court ruling disagrees with your opinion. I posted a similar case earlier where the potential employee won their case.
    I know they do. I think they're obviously full of shit.

I don't disagree with you that the grift will work though. Our legal system is a shitshow.

Boss says it's unprofessional and she files for harassment. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    The way she dresses isn't necessarily unprofessional, but the way she's acting is.

"neener neener neener, you didn't explicitly state I can't do this!" It's the argument of a child.
    Right - whatever started this isn't really the point anymore. OK, let's all agree for a moment that the boss was a total dick, was legally and ethically wrong, and the boss should be fired. What now? Would that make cosplaying at work a totally reasonable response that someone would definitely engage in if they weren't a flaming asshole themselves?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know they do. I think they're obviously full of shit.

I don't disagree with you that the grift will work though. Our legal system is a shitshow.
    I don't know exactly how I stand on it. There are ways around the law, but it only applies to certain types of business.

For example, Hooters is able to get away with have strict image guidelines because they are labeled as an Entertainment business, rather than a restaurant. So they can choose to not employ someone solely on their appearance. But a company like where she works, cannot get away with that.

I guess I stand on her side though. I think it is time to move past simple appearances, and focus more on ability and achievements.

If I had to wear a shirt and tie to my desk job every day, I likely wouldn't stick around for long till I found a place with a more relaxed dress code policy. I quite enjoy wearing my geeky tee shirts and jeans.

I don't know exactly how I stand on it. There are ways around the law, but it only applies to certain types of business.

For example, Hooters is able to get away with have strict image guidelines because they are labeled as an Entertainment business, rather than a restaurant. So they can choose to not employ someone solely on their appearance. But a company like where she works, cannot get away with that.

I guess I stand on her side though. I think it is time to move past simple appearances, and focus more on ability and achievements.

If I had to wear a shirt and tie to my desk job every day, I likely wouldn't stick around for long till I found a place with a more relaxed dress code policy. I quite enjoy wearing my geeky tee shirts and jeans.
    I'm vehemently against all of these laws - I think freedom of association is an important principle and that businesses should be free to arbitrarily define dress codes as they see fit, up to and including religious discrimination. I think laws that protect individuals from this discrimination are much more destructive than the discrimination itself.

I realize this is a strongly losing battle in the actual American legal system and I act accordingly.

With regard to actual attire, I personally prefer wearing gym shorts and a tech tee. That's what I wear when I'm in office pretty much all the time. When I'm on site with customers, it's either business casual or formal depending on the customer, and that's fine. I think there's hard-to-define value in continuing with social signaling and decorum that indicates (basically) "we give a shit about respecting you". Were I a client, I would be disinclined to purchase legal, financial, or consulting services from someone whose attire signaled, "I am against social conformity".

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm vehemently against all of these laws - I think freedom of association is an important principle and that businesses should be free to arbitrarily define dress codes as they see fit, up to and including religious discrimination. I think laws that protect individuals from this discrimination are much more destructive than the discrimination itself.

I realize this is a strongly losing battle in the actual American legal system and I act accordingly.

With regard to actual attire, I personally prefer wearing gym shorts and a tech tee. That's what I wear when I'm in office pretty much all the time. When I'm on site with customers, it's either business casual or formal depending on the customer, and that's fine. I think there's hard-to-define value in continuing with social signaling and decorum that indicates (basically) "we give a shit about respecting you". Were I a client, I would be disinclined to purchase legal, financial, or consulting services from someone whose attire signaled, "I am against social conformity".
    Im mostly with you, only the religious part is where we differ. But as for time and place and situation of when it is ok to dress casual, and when to dress professional, I agree with the value of it.

When you have attention whores like her working for you, it's best to just let them wear their beads and scarves and shit, as you otherwise end up with situations like this.

First, the boss should have been fired for continuing to push on something that was obviously racist and discriminatory. Just the fact that he had enough free time to write up new dress codes for a cubicle farm should have been enough to redundant his position.

Secondly, I'd kill to work with people willing to show up in Spock ears and Firefly outfits. Bellbottoms!

Hopefully she's not in a state that can fire you for whatever. If so her name is at the top of the list.