Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Plenty of things that Microsoft could care about besides passwords. Not everyone watches Youtube and posts inspirational quotes on Facebook 100% of the time.
    I'm personally developing a few things and if Microsoft wants to take a look at them, they will have to pay for it.
    if you are that far along into development you need a patient and a copy of the code stored in non-volatile media (multiple copies) with some dated and signed. At least if you are so worried that MS will get a copy of the code and use that u are afraid of sending them crash dumps.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

What I'm saying is that there is no reason to use Windows as a base OS if you have above basic understanding of computers.

You can easily setup a Linux base OS, install Windows with KVM/Qemu and pass one of your graphics cards to the VM, therefore achieving nearly 100% of the gaming performance of a native Windows install, while having all of the benefits of Linux and none of the negatives of Windows.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-07-21 at 03:49 PM.

Deleted
    What I'm saying is that there is no reason to use Windows as a base OS if you have above basic understanding of computers.

You can easily setup a Linux base OS, install Windows with KVM/Qemu and pass one of your graphics cards to the VM, therefore achieving nearly 100% of the gaming performance of a native Windows install, while having all of the benefits of Linux and none of the negatives of Windows.

show the data, i mean proof. i want to see 100% not 99%

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Indeed, anyone who values performance would have upgraded to at least 8 or greater.
    Windows 7 professional and have seen zero reason to "upgrade".

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    please show me what part of the EULA says they can access your personal information. I want a direct quote
    #4 on the EULA
    CONSENT TO MONITOR.
    WHEN RUNNING, A GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 1(C)(ii) ABOVE. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, (a) THE GAME MAY COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR (b) BLIZZARD MAY EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER. Additionally, certain Games include a tool that will allow your computer system to forward information to Blizzard in the event that the Game crashes, including system and driver data, and consent to Blizzard being able to receive this data.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/eula

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Now you are just making shit up. Check you privacy settings.

This is as fine grained control as anything. Please do research before you make claims

You really think you can turn off everything from your privacy settings?

Maybe you should just unplug yourself from internet, dickbag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jon234 View Post
    #4 on the EULA
    CONSENT TO MONITOR.
    WHEN RUNNING, A GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 1(C)(ii) ABOVE. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, (a) THE GAME MAY COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR (b) BLIZZARD MAY EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER. Additionally, certain Games include a tool that will allow your computer system to forward information to Blizzard in the event that the Game crashes, including system and driver data, and consent to Blizzard being able to receive this data.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/eula
    1) This is Blizzard not Microsoft as what he was referring to and what i was asking for
    2) This is used to detect bots and relay information as to which account is botting....details of your account that they know when you set up your bnet account and gave it to them.
    3) Nothing in RAM contains your password, personal information or your address
    4) Bug /crash reports do not contain your password, personal information or your address

this has nothing to do with OS in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by daezi View Post
    You really think you can turn off everything from your privacy settings?

Maybe you should just unplug yourself from internet, dickbag.
    everything that matters...yes. No address, passwords, or emails are being sent. If you have an issue with error codes of an application as vital data you want to protect maybe you are the one that needs to unplug

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Why? 7 is still supported and absolutely fine for gaming.
    I would insert that house burning "This is fine" meme if it wouldn't get me infracted, because duh. Mowing your lawn with one of those mechanical push mowers "works" too but why in the hell would you do that to yourself?

Windows 10 is fine; Linux would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Is there any reason you are avoiding the huge memory and HDD performance enhancements from 8 on ?

I think anyone who is stuck on Windows 7 has no right to criticise people stuck on Windows XP
    Those huge memory and HDD performances I've not yet to been able to find. Hell, on the contrary when I upgraded to 10 I had to turn down many it's in-built 'goodies' through lengthy process because VCHOST just loves churning that HD.

Upgrading away from 7 was largest mistake I've done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    I would insert that house burning "This is fine" meme if it wouldn't get me infracted, because duh. Mowing your lawn with one of those mechanical push mowers "works" too but why in the hell would you do that to yourself?
    That was terrible analogy.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Not the best analogy.

Again if people are playing fine on 7 then why should they upgrade? If they are running games fine then why?

The OS is supported for at least 3 more years.

Again why is it so imperative that someone on 7 should upgrade to 10 if they are doing what they need to on 7 just fine?
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-21 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    It's kind of sad considering that Windows XP is arguably the best OS ever made. But it's totally understandable, people need to move on after all these years.
    I prefer 7. 8 was bad, 8.1 was okay, and I like 10, but 7 is still my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I prefer 7. 8 was bad, 8.1 was okay, and I like 10, but 7 is still my favorite.
    Yeah. My Laptop came with 8. Did update to 8.1 and 10 right when it became possible.

Desktop stayed 7.

So much misinformation in this thread...

Win 10 vs Win 7 boot times, hd space usage, etc..
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...e-for-old-pcs/

Win 10 privacy concerns -
    https://www.petri.com/windows-10s-la...acy-fear-games
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...sely-vilified/
    https://www.windowscentral.com/no-wi...ands-times-day

If you're really concerned about privacy, why are you using the internet? Are you using chrome? How about gmail? Oh wait, you are? I guess Google's targeted ads are ok, but telemetry to make Microsoft's software better is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Yeah. My Laptop came with 8. Did update to 8.1 and 10 right when it became possible.

Desktop stayed 7.
    I use 10 because I built this pc from scratch, and got it cheaper at the time. Its great, just prefer 7. Time doesn't stop though.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    Linux would be better.
    Linux stuck in the 90s. It is laughably inadequate for a desktop OS today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Linux stuck in the 90s. It is laughably inadequate for a desktop OS today.
    Why is that ?
    I can do pretty much most tasks faster on Linux than on Windows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I still feel that using that thing to cheat a free upgrade will come back to bite one's ass.
    There is no "cheating" going on, if you use onscreen keyboard or the magnifier even once it qualifies.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is that ?
    I can do pretty much most tasks faster on Linux than on Windows.
    What are you talking about? The purpose of an OS is to provide environment for user apps to launch and operate in, providing a layer between hardware and software. All OSes do it quite fine.

When you talk about tasks you are talking about apps and this is not how you compare OS.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What are you talking about? The purpose of an OS is to provide environment for user apps to launch and operate in, providing a layer between hardware and software. All OSes do it quite fine.

When you talk about tasks you are talking about apps and this is not how you compare OS.
    I'm talking about the applications built in the standard Linux distributions. Almost every distribution has tools that are vastly superior than anything Windows can offer.

Let's say I want to (1) open a 5GB log file, (2) find a line containing "Exception:12345", then (3) get the exact time and date when the exception appeared, and (4) search all log files in a specific directory for what happened around that time frame, then (5) sort everything in a chronological order, (6) write it to a text file and (7) send a mail with the data to someone. Then (8) automate this so it checks every hour for the exception and do the other steps if the exception in (1) is ever found.

All of the above is done with one line in the Linux terminal, including the creation of an automated task. You can't even do step (1) in Windows, Notepad will crash miserably with a 5GB log file. You have to user 3rd party tools for everything, it's not clear if everything can be automated and it's still vastly slower and more complicated. Microsoft has been trying to compete with this for years with the power shell but they still fail.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-07-23 at 07:14 AM.