Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i lived in cali for 8 months, and coming from the south east it was basically a different country. It's an ok place to visit but not somewhere I'd want to live. Mostly due to costs of living though way to high for my liking. I'm not surprised to see people starting to move to areas of like minded populations though. Its not just cali either, nor is just the right. I know several leftest that are living the south east or trying to.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    So a bunch of religious conservatives are terrified their religion is slowly being replaced by factual evidence and are now seeking a new haven capital for which to spread forth their own ignorance?

Sounds like the progress of mankind, honestly. Praying before meals is something humans from 1200 B.C. should be doing, not humans in 2017. It's sad such people take their own 'beliefs' so seriously.
    Yeah religion freaks. I've seen my share of them.

Tell you what though...when I grew up, my step-mother's cooking was so bad - we prayed after the meals.

Interestingly enough, people flee to Alaska when they're tired of the far right and far left places. Pretty much for the reasons listed in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Interestingly enough, people flee to Alaska when they're tired of the far right and far left places. Pretty much for the reasons listed in the OP.
    California is only far left by US standards.
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2017-07-23 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    That is Texas in it's entirety, not Houston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    SO looking up demographics, about 37% of Texas is hispanic. According to articles I dug up, including Texas Tribune, about 1.5 of those are illegal. That still means, using a calculator, 8.5 million were legal (using 2014 data)

Like I stated it has doubled in 20 years.
    These are for the metropolitan area.
    Number of Hispanics
    1980-~452K 14.3%
    1990-~776k 20.6%
    2000-~1,353k 28.7%
    2010-~2,099k 35.3%

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/Projects/Div...?metroid=26420

As for just the city proper, I won't bother to list the statistics. Below is the drill down. It indicates a similar trend from 1980 - 2010. I have seen percentages as high as 43.7 % from the 2010 census. Imagine what it is now.
    https://s4.ad.brown.edu/Projects/Div...cityid=4835000

It really is difficult to estimate how many illegal immigrants we have. One must remember that all illegal immigrants aren't Latino. I believe the largest portion on illegal immigrants we (Americans) have didn't just walk across the border like people picture it.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-07-23 at 02:17 AM.

Number of Hispanics
    1980-~452K 14.3%
    1990-~776k 20.6%
    2000-~1,353k 28.7%
    2010-~2,099k 35.3%

As for just the city proper, I won't bother to list the statistics. Below is the drill down. It indicates a similar trend from 1980 - 2010. I have seen percentages as high as 43.7 % from the 2010 census. Imagine what it is now.

It really is difficult to estimate how many illegal immigrants we have. One must remember that all illegal immigrants aren't Latino. I believe the largest portion on illegal immigrants we (Americans) have didn't just walk across the border like people picture it.
    What does hispanic even mean?

Avoiding bullying? Sure I suppose. But it sounds more like their concern is with avoiding opinions that conflict with their own. Horseshoe theory remains bafflingly accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kidstechno View Post
    Just gonna leave this here:

https://nyti.ms/2sz2gUS
    That's...that's special.

"In the matter of immigration, mark this conservative columnist down as strongly pro-deportation. The United States has too many people who don’t work hard, don’t believe in God, don’t contribute much to society and don’t appreciate the greatness of the American system.

They need to return whence they came."

Sure, I'll just crawl back up my mother's uterus, since I was born in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Nothing really.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    If they were snowflakes, they'd be demanding a safe space in California. Not taking responsibility for themselves.
    They have been demanding a safe space, who do you think it is that wants to split California up into 6 states? It isn't the lefties of the state.

10+ Year Old Account

Number of Hispanics
    1980-~452K 14.3%
    1990-~776k 20.6%
    2000-~1,353k 28.7%
    2010-~2,099k 35.3%

Sure, but also remember not all Hispanics are illegal. Wish we knew how many of the growth was from legals, how much was from illegals, and how much was from legals being born to illegals. When I looked at a document from 1995, Hispanics (in general) had the highest average family unit compared to others at 4.

So I think to say something very inflammatory as "Texas is turning blue cause illegals" is really awful unless you have data. I know my area (DFW) is booming economically, so its attracting everyone and a lot of time, they're socially liberalish even if they may be economically conservative.

Sure, but also remember not all Hispanics are illegal. Wish we knew how many of the growth was from legals, how much was from illegals, and how much was from legals being born to illegals. When I looked at a document from 1995, Hispanics (in general) had the highest average family unit compared to others at 4.

So I think to say something very inflammatory as "Texas is turning blue cause illegals" is really awful unless you have data. I know my area (DFW) is booming economically, so its attracting everyone and a lot of time, they're socially liberalish even if they may be economically conservative.
    Ah, but I didn't quite put it that way. You just interpreted it that way.
    You are correct, we don't have access to that data. Although I would be willing to gamble it exists somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
    He said it has more population than most rich countries, and you use India as a counter-example. Rofl fantastic job.
    Apparently you missed the point of "More people does not make it better". India is two down from California in terms of GDP. Per person its not looking all that good. But as a whole country its up there.

I wouldn't choose to live in either state personally, though they both have nice people and beautiful natural spaces. I don't care to give anyone else crap about where they choose to live.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a California born son who has lived in Texas...Team CA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    The main reason Texas has shifted blue is because of illegal immigration. Poor people also overwhelmingly vote for democrats and then stay poor for the rest of their lives. Gerrymandering also has no effect on governorships or senate seats so cry me a river. If Gerrymandering goes away expect a big racial divide within the democrats, as gerrymandering currently ensures black repesentitives
    Don't be absurd. Illegals can't vote thus can't turn a state blue. Hell, even legal residents can't vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Aren't big cities also democrats in Texas ?

Missing the point of people fleeing liburals
    Idk man. I live in Houston and most people I meet lean right.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    It means at least part of your heritage involves a mix of central american native american and european, primary spaniard. Spain came to the New World and conquered most of it, centering their empire in what is now Mexico. The Spaniards interbred with the native population. If you are Hispanic, it means you have those people as ancestors. It's an ethnic group, like they ask you on applications. Are you white, black, pacific islander, hispanic, etc?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    California is only far left by US standards.
    Depends on who you talk to, but we have a large population from California too.

I still live here and all that confuses me. Central Texas has beautiful geography and parks. The cities aren't what you just described (that's the suburbs )
    I appreciate the honest response. But I stand by my statement. I didn’t really understand Texas until I left it in my mid 20s and saw more of the world.

There are beautiful parts of Texas, but they are few and far between. I experienced many of them. But it wasn’t until I left Texas that I discovered...
    ...that beaches don’t have to have tar chunks washing up like they do in Galveston and South Padre.
    ...that in other places, buying a house in a neighborhood named Lakewood Forest means you might actually have a lake or a forest, and not just a cookie cutter gated community.
    ...that a park is not just unusable land with power transformers and a foot trail.
    ...that mass transit is a real thing
    ...that churches aren’t improved by having bowling alleys

Texas is the embodiment of what happens when a culture values quantity over quality. It’s not devoid of goodness, but you have to dig through Texas-sized piles of mediocre bullshit to find it.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

glad they did california is a fucking cesspool.